LegacyGT.com

legacy GT lim or altima SE-R?

so i was set on legacy gt lim, then today i find out about Altima SE-R coming out in sep. it has similar specs/performance, but probably front wheel drive. cost will probably be similar. under $30k. so, which one should i get???? help me please!

You're on a Legacy forum. What do you think we'd say? ;) Personally I wouldn't get the Limited, but that's just me, the regular cloth is rather nice IMO and I very much dislike power seats and leather so that narrows it down. Ultimately it's up to personal taste. Whatever you'll be happy with is what counts.

I would think it to be a relatively easy decision, personally. Go get some seat time in a V6 Altima, then in a Legacy, and decide then. The Altima SE-R is going to be mostly the same as the standard Altima, with a bit more suspension firmness and other minor performance bits and bobs thrown in. So if you enjoy the V6 Altima more than the Legacy, you'll be sure of liking the SE-R, and if you don't enjoy it more because of the FWD, interior, ride and such, then you won't be liking the SE-R that much. I've never noticed trim and suspension upgrades drastically changing a car from almost ok all the way up to really good - for instance, the base 2.5i Legacy is nearly as flavorful as the GT turbo, just not as spicey. Of course, that's probably why I don't understand people saying they won't buy a Legacy until a "sports" edition is released. I've driven the sports edition, it really didn't impress me that much more than the standard version. Cheers, Paul Hansen

The Altima is FWD? I thought it was RWD like the Maxima. Or is that FWD too?? Well regardless, the Altima SE-R does look pretty nice. I really don't like those altezzas though. But yeah, whatever floats your boat. Mostly everyone here will favor the Legacy, so it's something you'll have to decide for yourself. :)
-ben

The Maxima and the Altima are both FWD. That is a minus in my book. Yes it is good power, but you are pretty much at the breaking point with power with that car. With that said, the interior has never really impressed me, and the car just seems too big. I think the Legacy is a much tidier package. [img]http://www.autosite.com/images/edphotos/previews/fullsize/2005-nissan-altima-se-r-front.jpg[/img]

Yep, both the Nissan's are fwd. Personally, I'd MUCH raher have awd, but fwd isn't the end of the world. I could see you deciding between the two--Nissan's are nice cars, and the Altima has good power (great engine) and they handle very well, w/ a still decent ride. I haven't been in the new one with the "upgraded" interior, but it looks much nicer in pics than the old one. Going by the old one, the Subie has the nicer interior, but as I said I haven't seen the new one in person. Either way you'd be getting a nice car, so its a win/win situation, right? ;P

The Altima is a very nice car. I drove the crappy, 2.5-liter version and was still quite impressed. The rear seat legroom is just crazy. It's WWD, however, which would rule it out for me. Kevin

Also, sport seats, short throw 6 speed, 18's with W rated tires. I had heard that the regular 3.5 Altima was under rated in power and already made more than 250hp, so I'm not sure what the 250hp rating on the SE-R implies. FWD and no wagon takes it off my list.

I keep thinking about the Car and Driver comment in their recent review of the OBXT. Something along the lines how Subaru has a different approach to their vehicles. They have all the necessary hardware for performance, yet they are tuned for middle of the road usage. In short, you're getting a lot more for your money with a GT! Ken

I haven't driven the Altima, but the look of the car is not as astheticly pleasing to me. It doesn't look as slick. Also, I have become a big advocate for the AWD. The legacy is a total package for me. I would use the following decending list as my decisions for the legacy. Safety (Larger brakes, frame design) Value (HP per $, and overall package) Fun (tight turning radius, handling, acceleration) Family (the wagon carries it all... in style :wink: ) J.R.

thanks everyone for your input. yeah i just wanted to be convinced. i test drove the gt twice this past week, and i like it. wife saw it today and she likes it, too. she wants taupe, though. but i'm gonna push for ebony. anyway, i saw bunch of altimas on the road today, like every 5 seconds. and i realized i dont like the design as much. besides, my brother in law has the 2.5sl. dont wanna copy him. and i had nissans all my life, time to try something different. i'm gonna try to test drive the 3.5se just to be sure. but i say, i'm like 90% legacy gt. so white gt lim auto (wife's gonna drive most of the time) is the one for me. but i do would like to hear more about why everyone chose Legacy gt over (insert cars considred here). thanks

why legacy? 1. awd (a necessity if i don't want to park a 1/4 mile from my house in the winter) 2. value defined as performance and dependability per dollar. when car and driver wanted to compare the performance of the (base) wrx it had to use cars that cost $15000 more (the bmw 330xi and the audi s4). when it's time to evaluate the legacy gt it will have to use cars that cost $15000 to $20000 more. with performance like that and a high level of dependability (i've kept subies for 14 years at a clip), what more needs to be said?

If you like torque steer get the Altima, high HP+FWD= major torque steer. I drove one and nailed it coming up the on-ramp and it started to drift straight around the corner. I also test drove it on a back road in the rain and it wasn't confidence inspiring at all. AWD is the only way to go.

Archived