LegacyGT.com

3rd-Gen Subaru Legacy - A Good First Car?

Brendon

Would a Legacy make a good first car?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would a Legacy make a good first car?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No (Please State Why)

Hi Legacy owners/enthusiasts,

I'm sixteen years of age and I've been looking at a number of cars as a first car, ranging from the Volkswagen Jetta to the Volvo S60R. A Corvette owner thought that a Legacy was a good fit for me (as he owns a 2002) and I really agree. I've been looking at a lot of Legacy's and I love the styling of the 3rd-gen Legacy's.

I've just been curious as to any problems to look out for and how many miles I should buy them at.

And, overall, would a Legacy make a good first car?

Thank you.

Sure would. My wife and I bought a 2003 Legacy L SE with a 5-Speed for her daughter who will be turning 16 in a few weeks. The car is solid. It has 154k miles on it and drives almost as good as new. It had, from what I can tell, 2 previous owners and it spent most of its life in Colorado and Washington before coming to California a little over a year ago.

Try to get a GT if you can because they have fewer head gasket problems (DOHC engine), but whatever you get, obviously lower mileage, private party sale is best, especially if it's a 1 owner car where you can get a good idea of service history and any major work that it has or hasn't had done.

And welcome to the forum!!!

Jetta's and Volvo's are going to be much more expensive for parts and to repair than a Subaru.

My first car was a 3rd gen legacy at 16 years old. Loved every minute of the car. Great in the snow, great gas mileage, and I loved the 3rd gen so much after having it for 2 years, and putting over 50k miles on it, I sold it and bought a 4th gen lgt :) it was an awesome first car for me, very very reliable, and looked great too. As a first car, it's a great choice. You'll be hooked before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure would. My wife and I bought a 2003 Legacy L SE with a 5-Speed for her daughter who will be turning 16 in a few weeks. The car is solid. It has 154k miles on it and drives almost as good as new. It had, from what I can tell, 2 previous owners and it spent most of its life in Colorado and Washington before coming to California a little over a year ago.

Try to get a GT if you can because they have fewer head gasket problems (DOHC engine), but whatever you get, obviously lower mileage, private party sale is best, especially if it's a 1 owner car where you can get a good idea of service history and any major work that it has or hasn't had done.

And welcome to the forum!!!

Jetta's and Volvo's are going to be much more expensive for parts and to repair than a Subaru.

Much appreciated on the information. :) I just read about that issue too, glad I know which trim to (mostly) avoid the head gasket issue.

My first car was a 3rd gen legacy at 16 years old. Loved every minute of the car. Great in the snow, great gas mileage, and I loved the 3rd gen so much after having it for 2 years, and putting over 50k miles on it, I sold it and bought a 4th gen lgt :) it was an awesome first car for me, very very reliable, and looked great too. As a first car, it's a great choice. You'll be hooked before you know it.

Haha, that's perfect, especially when we both have shitty winters..

Edit: Just noticed your description, BrenTuning huh? I know so many people that were tuned by his tuning shop.

Thanks for the tips you guys.

Archived