LegacyGT.com

Fixed the glovebox rattle!

BAC5.2

I finally fixed (mostly) the hatch rattle by moving the latch forward to tighten up the closing. I was pretty happy with the fix, but it made the glovebox rattle maddening.

I found a thread made a while back about bending the striker latch down to help the box close a little tighter. That didn't seem to help, and neither did the closed-cell foam I used to help keep the lid snug. It was clear that the rattling was not coming from the box rubbing against the dash.

So I was stumped. Until I pulled the glove box out, and pulled the cover off the lid. There are 6 screws that hold the box together, and you have to pull the trim off of the top of the box (for the 07-09's) to access the top 4 screws. What I found was the metal support bracket that mounts to the lid is terribly supported and VERY easily contacts the outer lid. I had some crappy, thin, dynamat left over from some a friend gave me. I lined both the outer lid and the inner box with the stuff, bolted everything back together and the rattle is gone!

Anyone with a glovebox rattle, I'd definitely consider pulling it out and installing some sound deadening.

I only spent about 25 minutes on everything, and the maddening rattle is gone!

It seems as if I FINALLY have a nearly rattle free car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No kidding. I quieted that one down, and now hear a faint rattle coming from somewhere else. It's never-ending.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I gave up with the rattles in my car. Chasing them down is like playing whack-a-mole. :p

I hear yea. I am OCD with the sounds my car makes. After trying many times to fix them I finally threw in the towel.

I have a rattle coming from my passenger side seat belt mechanism on my B pillar.! arghh. no clue how i'm gonna fix that one. my last rattle was on going since I got the car. took me two years to figure it out, but it was actually my garage door opener clipped to my sunshade, except whenever I heard it, it kept sounding like it was my door speaker. -_- rattles are lame. hah

i actually have a rattle in my glovebox. solution: put a small hand rag in there. i use it every now and then to wipe my dash off and it closes up open space that keeps the box loose. simple.

Thanks for this BAC.

The worst rattle/noise I have is seemingly coming from a spot where the A pillar meets the dash on the driver's side.

Just a tiny little high pitch (almost metal on metal) "tink....tink.....tink...."

Drives me friggen nuts.

I don't know why you guys are having all these problems with rattles. I don't hear a single one in my car....

On an unrelated note, can someone please tell me how to fix my stereo? I can't seem to shut it off or get the volume below 20.

I have a rattle coming from my passenger side seat belt mechanism on my B pillar.! arghh. no clue how i'm gonna fix that one. my last rattle was on going since I got the car. took me two years to figure it out, but it was actually my garage door opener clipped to my sunshade, except whenever I heard it, it kept sounding like it was my door speaker. -_- rattles are lame. hah

i actually have a rattle in my glovebox. solution: put a small hand rag in there. i use it every now and then to wipe my dash off and it closes up open space that keeps the box loose. simple.

Dealer just replaced that seat belt assembly for my wife's 09 under warranty for rattles.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived