Driveline vibration under load

Hey Folks,

2005 Subaru Outback XT, 5EAT.

Fresh fluids in Transmission and both diffs

Vibration was not instigated by a part change

Notes: Loud *ping* noise when shifting into reverse or drive

Prop shaft squeaks, only in reverse

Amount of acceleration increases vibration

So I recently acquired a lovely drivetrain vibration that is enough to cause all my mirrors to shake. It seems to be frequent, but intermittent. The car does drive fine, besides the shake, but I have taken it off the road until I figure out what is going on.

My first guess is that my center diff bearings are are shot and I need to replace them with the Hexmods bushings, but any other sources that I should take a peek at would be appreciated.

Thoughts? Things to troubleshoot?

Thanks guys!

Driveshaft... Mine did the same thing. Out of no where it started. Every once and a while it would stop. But always came back. I got mine replaced by... Wanna say Colorado Driveline. Think it was 300 with 100 core charge. They even included a shipping label. Totally worth it.

So I just popped it out. Rolled it up on my ramps in reverse, followed the service manual instructions and boom, 14 bolts later out came my prop shaft.

http://i.imgur.com/8OPKZdY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OvVbZVD.jpg

My rear prop shaft has partially broken, the yoke feels like crap and wiggles ~10 degrees each way. The front yoke doesnt feel very good either, almost like it has worn into the first 5 degrees of rotation on either axis and anything past that it has to overcome a worn in step in the yoke. I'll have them both replaced for good measure, and the carrier bearing while they're in there if possible.

There's a driveshaft shop the next town over I'll be taking it to that states on their website they can do subaru shafts from stock parts, so we'll see what happens. I'll update when I get it back.

Any companies make replacement ujoints?

Yes, I dropped it off at a driveshaft shop locally to have new joints/yokes installed.

The subaru joints are peened in, and as such, are non-serviceable. To fix this the shop will be cutting off the old joints and welding on new, serviceable ones for me. The cost will probably be in the $200 range.

They are replaceable.
watch that. Should help allot

I wouldn't trust anything that idiot does in the video. When he removes the drive shaft he drags the transmission end through the dirt and across the rocks and junk and then just drops it. One nick in the shaft and when you put it back together your going to cut your seal wide open.

What Boss said. The Subaru ones are staked in. I read numerous threads and the only way to get it fixed is to replace the whole drive shaft or bring it to a place that can do it right. Don't try to do it yourself by buying one of those replacement kits. They will fall apart, and the only way to install them correctly is to machine the yokes.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the thread revival....

But as a follow up, what did it end up costing and what all was involved with the repair? Anything unusual or any surprises?

Mine is doing the exact same( vibration under acceleration and that ping when going from P,D or R....) and I am looking to get it fixed. Thank you.

I got mine replaced. Was really easy. Remove the 4 bolts in the rear, and the two on the support bearing. Slide the old one out, slide the new one in. I got mine from a place in Colorado. I can't remember the name of it. Someone else on here got theirs done at the same place. I think it was like 250 bucks. All your do is throw the old one back in the box and return it back to get your core charge back. Got it in about 2 days. I did a little searching but couldn't find the thread. I'll look tomorrow when I have more time, or see if I can fine the business card from them out in the garage.

I bought my replacement here

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/

Lot of good reviews and I'm happy with it. You can pick up a used one at a yard for around $100 if you want to go that route. My old prop shaft joints were toast so I'm glad I did it. Unfortuantely it didn't cure my problems, think I have an axle or trans/transfer case issue

I replaced my blown stock shaft with a Drive Shaft Shop 1 piece aluminum shaft. Love it! weighs nothing, no noticeable increased NVH, im on coils with whiteline bushings everywhere so things are stiff before the 1 piece.

Archived