LegacyGT.com

New Owner Problems

Dwreck

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2009 Legacy 2.5i, Obsidian Black. I bought it knowing it had a couple issues because I was given a good price on it. Now it is time to take care of the issues. My first mission will be to clear the Air Bag light of codes 11 and 71 (has been in an accident, deployed bags).

Secondly, and equally important, my 8-way adjustable seat is only 7-way (won't go forwards, and I have short legs). If I bump it back again, I'll have to attach blocks to my shoes when I drive.

I was wondering if anybody here knows of a good place to get parts, particularly for the seat motor. I work in a GM shop and have access to a Snap-on Verdict diagnostics system that is quite capable of doing most things. I will probably get a second opinion from a dealer before altering the air bag/srs system, but the seat motor needs replaced ASAP!

All parts sources I have, have pointed to ~$800 for the lower seat assembly. I appreciate any information regarding parts, prices, and also replacement, as I would like to correct this issue before the pedals get any farther away.

Thanks,

Derek

I guess I am not 100% it is the seat motor. Before it completely took a dump and quit moving forwards altogether, it was hanging up on one side and causing the seat to twist slightly. It could be the switch I suppose. This is my first car with a power seat so I don't really know.

I guess I am not 100% it is the seat motor. Before it completely took a dump and quit moving forwards altogether, it was hanging up on one side and causing the seat to twist slightly. It could be the switch I suppose. This is my first car with a power seat so I don't really know.

Did you check the seat rails for obstructions? An obstruction could have had a hand in burning out the motor.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a job for a sunny day. I will definitely do that prior to purchasing a replacement. If the rails are clean do you think it is possibly a switch still? It didn't seem to go out all at once, but gradually. Either way, the only way I have seen a seat is with the rails attached. Hopefully I can begin the tear-down tomorrow or Saturday and figure out whats going on.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a job for a sunny day. I will definitely do that prior to purchasing a replacement. If the rails are clean do you think it is possibly a switch still? It didn't seem to go out all at once, but gradually. Either way, the only way I have seen a seat is with the rails attached. Hopefully I can begin the tear-down tomorrow or Saturday and figure out whats going on.

If it went out gradually, I doubt it's the switch. It's possible there's just something wedged into the seat rail (penny, dime, etc) that was blocking it from moving and thus burned out the motor. I've never messed with a seat motor, so I'm not sure if it's possible for just "one way" to go out. Can't hurt to check it though. Make sure you undo the battery first so you don't potentially set off the airbags in the seat. There are only 4 bolts holding the seat to the car, and then a series of connectors right under the seat (the airbag, power, heat connectors).

What I would suggest is unbolting all the bolts holding the seat down, then simply tilting the seat backwards into the rear passenger area. It'll allow you see the rails and see if there's anything blocking movement. Check the "inside" of the rails too (the "top" of the rail under the seat)...you'll probably need to slide something in there as you won't be able to see in there probably.

I wouldn't mess with the seat connectors if you don't have to. They're a pain in the ass to unhook.

Was able to check underneath with a flashlight. Found some smaller debris, and a receipt from the previous owner on the rails. Cleaned them and reapplied lubricant. It appears right now as though the seat was removed and re-installed. It looks like the gear is possibly missing teeth on the right side of the seat. When I have a better day I will inspect further. Seat will operate with assistance though (thankfully).

Was able to check underneath with a flashlight. Found some smaller debris, and a receipt from the previous owner on the rails. Cleaned them and reapplied lubricant. It appears right now as though the seat was removed and re-installed. It looks like the gear is possibly missing teeth on the right side of the seat. When I have a better day I will inspect further. Seat will operate with assistance though (thankfully).

Cool. Maybe replacing the teeth is a possible solution.

Now, on to your airbag situation. Were the airbags replaced?

I am not sure about the teeth, but will make do with what I have for now, since I can operate it with no load on the seat as long as I help it along.

Airbags were replaced. I had a couple of technicians take a look at it on a slow day. The cruise control is inoperative, as well as the horn. We hooked the horn up and now it sounds off with the right turn signal :confused: , but not when depressing the steering wheel. I am thinking it may need a new clock spring since the multifunction switch, horn, airbag, and cruise control all run through it.

I am not SUPER concerned about it, but I would definitely like to get it taken care of. The horn also seems extra loud when locking/unlocking the car. Found that out around midnight last night and 6am this morning (Sorry, neighbors!). That may be disconnected until I figure out if I need a Clockspring.

Archived