LegacyGT.com

i Need expert Body Control Unit help

My problem got solved. Ended up being the neutral position sensor on the back of the transmission. Can't hurt to check that. I just unplugged it and the car started. Been 2 weeks now. Cost me 4500 bucks to find a faulty 40 dollar switch.

Pour out some liquor and sell the car.

Pour out some liquor and sell the car.

Now that it's running I have some lost time to make up. Been kinda drivin it like I stole it.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update-

I did what I could/was willing to do with no results so took it to the dealer. Feel very good about who is working on it and asked that they take their time to diagnose rather than throw parts at it. After diagnosing and conferring with Subaru tech line, first step is to replace the gauge cluster.

Should have another update in a week...

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I want to thank Dustin Nogle and Bret Carter at AutoNation Subaru in Golden, CO. Brett had been recommended to me by another enthusiast years ago but this was the first time I met him. They took an interest in finding the cause of my problem and kept me fully informed along the way. It probably helps that they are both enthusiasts, and Bret didn't have to rush because it wasn't my DD. I feel they solved my problem as effectively as they could with no surprises. Well, make that two surprises.

First surprise was the pack rat that took up residence under my hood and got a free ride on the tow truck to the dealership. Some power washing got him out of there but I would have loved to seen the look on Brett's face when he opened the hood!

As I mentioned in my first post, earlier a different tech had recommending replacing the BIU, and after Wurkenman's experience I was very gun shy of where that might lead. Bret diagnosed the problem, conferred with Subaru Tech Line and recommended we start with the gauge cluster as I mentioned in post #28. I was hopeful but leery of where we were headed. (Did I mention my wife hates this car and thinks it's bad luck?) The cluster connected and lit up, but they called to say they could not program the cluster or the spare key I had asked for. (Visions of Wurkenman…)

Surprise number two- Bret was able to determine that the cluster/BIU/Immobilizer/etc had the vin from a different car than mine. With the new vin info he was able to get it all set up and program the spare key. End of story, car started right up.

(Caveat emptor if you're being a used car, particularly with a salvage/rebuilt title like mine.)

So lesson learned- I had to go to the dealer for the Subaru Select Monitor, but it pays to find out who the good service advisors and techs are, explain your situation as best you can, and don't ask for a rush repair.

Thanks again Bret and Dustin!

Thanks for posting up your resolution.

It got me thinking about my situation a little more. The engine in my car is an LKQ replacement. I'd guess that the electronics are original to my car, but if they weren't and they were replaced with the engine, my key and/or dash may not work correctly and cause the car not to start.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
This is ironic- I've had an "Err" flashing in my info cluster for for about a week now. 05 LGT 5EAT Limited Wagon.... Sometimes it goes away when press the button to cycle through the screens, other times it doesn't. Some days it appears, other days it doesn't. All started during a 3 hour road trip recently during normal driving. Subscribed....

This is ironic- I've had an "Err" flashing in my info cluster for for about a week now. 05 LGT 5EAT Limited Wagon.... Sometimes it goes away when press the button to cycle through the screens, other times it doesn't. Some days it appears, other days it doesn't. All started during a 3 hour road trip recently during normal driving. Subscribed....
Check your illumination dial. I swapped mine and it fixed my flashing err.

Move the illumination dial down to 1 and see if it goes away, then move to 2 and wait then 3, and so on. If it stays off when it's lower then I bet your dial needs replaced.

So my info screen "Err" code still occurs intermittently when adjusting the illumination dial from 1 through 6. If in fact they are linked somehow, I will look into replacing the dial switch (not sure if it's a separate part from the whole mirror control etc assembly?). Or I'll just ignore it and hope it goes away....lol

Ive seen the Err HC code a few times, and each time the cause was a loose ground wire somewhere. Once was on the rear side of the engine on the bracket behind the DS head, and the other time... I don't remember the other time(s). Like most people on here I've torn into my car too many times to remember everything.