LegacyGT.com

Black leather in summer

caramall2

Sorry if this is a repeat...for those who've had black leather in severe summer heat, is it terrible? Still a bit leary of leather as I haven't had it before. Is taupe that much better? Does the outside color matter (e.g. a black car make it worse)?

Anyone know if dogs tear up leather bad? I assume yes and you need to put down some sort of mat.

Sorry if this is a repeat...for those who've had black leather in severe summer heat, is it terrible? Still a bit leary of leather as I haven't had it before. Is taupe that much better? Does the outside color matter (e.g. a black car make it worse)?

Anyone know if dogs tear up leather bad? I assume yes and you need to put down some sort of mat.

Caramall2 , I've had black leather in a black car previously and I will definitely say there were days when you'd have to watch you legs getting in if you were wearing shorts. However, I would also say that after a minute or so of sitting on it it cooled down a bit, either that or I just got used to the heat.:lol: I've also got leather in my new car but expect it to be a little cooler with the perforated leather and silver exterior. The Taupe should feel definitely cooler though. If you search around here I remember some members from Florida and Texas that had leather stating they didn't feel it was so bad.

As for the dog, you're braver than I. I wouldn't even consider letting her ride on it till the car is a few years old, till then she gets the back.

Brian

"Dogs and leather", "black interior", I just finished vacuuming out the wagon (black leather interior), chasing white dog hair. Put down a towel in the back seat, which stayed in place for 2 minutes. Next time we take my truck.

"Dogs and leather", "black interior", I just finished vacuuming out the wagon (black leather interior), chasing white dog hair. Put down a towel in the back seat, which stayed in place for 2 minutes. Next time we take my truck.

I have to say that having a dog with a few vehicles with cloth seating and with leather, there is no way I would ever get cloth if I didn't have to. The cloth attracts dog hair like a magnet and its so hard to vacuum off! You have to use a brush attachment and spend like an hour going over it, and it still isn't great..

THen, if your dog happens to vomit.. it doesn't matter how fast you get back there, the cloth has already absorbed it.

I have a wagon (OBXTltd) so it doesnt' really apply to me anymore thankfully.. but when I had to put my dog in the back seat of leather, I put a towl down just on the seat portion so his nails wouldn't bite in to it - tucking it behind and under (where the seatbelt latches are) so it couldn't be pulled. My dog is active and 60 lbs and would only pull the towl off only occasionally. THere was never a sign that his nails did any damage, and vacuuming the leather is a breeze.. ALso cleaning up any vomit is significantly easier.. just wipe up, and apply some leather conditioner, good as new! As far as your dog tearing it with their teeth, that's a different story, and your out of luck with cloth or leather! Leather is tuff stuff though.. its a cows skin in fact..:D so, I wouldn't be too worried about your dog tearing it, especially if you take some precautions by clipping their nails, trying to use a towl, etc...

As for the black.. I have only owned cars with black leather. Its not texas heat up here in CT, but it gets hot. Yes, i have to get in gently sometimes, but withing 1-3 mintutes, can't notice it anymore. I in many cases black looks better than taupe, so of course looks are more important than possibly getting burned!

As far as exterior color ... they say it makes a difference.. if its 95 degrees outisde, no matter what you get into will be hot.. you'll turn on the A/C, and life will be fine.

Get whatever looks best to you.. the other stuff is pretty much worthless cares, IMHO.

Almost every car I've owned had black leather interior, and I've found that the ones with perforated seats don't seem to get as hot and breath better. The LGT is my first black car, and I do have my windows tinted. And I haven't noticed the car being hotter inside than any other car I've owned.

I live in Houston and I have an 05 LGT with the black leather interior. I bought mine in october so it was only in the 90's when I bought it, but still with our wonderful humdity...... Anyway I got mine with tinted windows becasue cars hear get so hot from being parked outside generally the won't cool off on my 30 minute commute in the summer.

Couple of things I noticed.

1) The Legacy has the best A/C of any car I've owned it blows cold fast and cools down quick.

2) crack the sunroof and use a solar shade it keeps it much cooler

The one thing I notice is since it so humid here that you have a tendancy to sweat while sitting on the seats when you have exposed skin touching the seat. Its not a big deal, but generally I've found the interior to be just fine, and just as comfortable as any other cloth interior car I've owned.

BTW A/C is a like a 12 month thing here, its supposed to be 87 here today.

I think the exterior car color has more impact on how hot it gets inside. My silver GT wagon with black interior has been much cooler inside compared to my previous black Forester with light grey interior.

Ken

no dog, just black leather GT Ltd sedan. Purchased in May and owned through the VA summer last year. I was at first concerned, but it was really no problem. Get a sun shade for the windshield. Tint the windows as dark as possible (umm.. within the legal limits of course ;-) and tilt the sun roof a hair it no rain is forcasted. I had absolutely no problems at all.

I think the exterior car color has more impact on how hot it gets inside. My silver GT wagon with black interior has been much cooler inside compared to my previous black Forester with light grey interior.

Ken

I'd have to agree. I haven't been through the dog days of summer w/ this car yet (I purchased in September), but September in New England can still get stinkin' hot, and my Silver/Black (leather) LGT was still much cooler than my previous Black/Gray (cloth) Contour... That said, a Silver/Taupe would probably be still cooler -- although it would look horrible!

Stefan

I'm still on the fence with this decision also. After finally selling my old car privately this past weekend, I guess I will now have to decide... or hope Subaru comes out with an 'in between' color for '06. I will definitely go with leather in any case though. My old car, an Audi A4, had perforated vinyl, which was actually nicer than some leathers I've seen and felt. The Subaru leather feels soft and looks great. I imagine it will be more comfortable than what I'm coming from (in black or taupe). The Audi had such a sensitive alarm system, you couldn't crack a window on all but the calmest of days.

Archived