LegacyGT.com

Who do you use for service? (Richmond VA)

Rimfaxe

Hi Everyone,

I'm really getting burned out on Richmond Subaru and Pence Subaru. Do you know of anyone around the Richmond area that does good work on Subarus? I would love to find someone good to do the major tuneups and perhaps some performance mods.

So Richmond area Subie owners, where do you have your car serviced?

I would recommend my guys, but you are already burned out on Pence. I sent you a pm to get more info as i am not familiar with your Screen name and who you are and would like to get more info on why you are burned on us so I can try and address it.

I would like to say all 3 of my Master techs are good at what they do.After all they have been working on Subarus for 10-15 years each. We can install performance parts (depending on what the mods are and what is to be done), but i will be honest, you can most likely get a better deal elsewhere. The most we do is exhaust and aftermarket clutch kits.

Phil

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 8 months later...

@Rimfaxe, did you find any alternatives?

@blackfang, I have a call into whoever handles your service dept. I need my 30k and also need to have a couple issues addressed. I have to tell you, I've NEVER been satisfied with dealer service shops. I've only found independent shops that care at all about building relationships with their customers... let alone getting the work done to anything that resembles acceptable standards. I'm going to give you guys a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

hahah I've learned to do a lot of work myself. I learned to change my own wheel bearings which solved one problem that I had. I'm not a real car nut, but I'm not afraid of it either and DIY has been my preference for the past year. I've learned a lot, saved some money, and have a first-class rebuilid of my suspension to boot.

I tend to generally share your views on the subject. The dealerships have Subaru trained techs there which is nice, but they also charge top dollar and service has been inconsistent and mediocre at times. I'm probably more picky than the average person, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect good service for folks charging top dollar.

Bottom line-- it has been annoying with both the repair shop and the parts counter-- mostly just minor annoyances and some differences of opinion (bearing noise vs. 'feathered' tires-- and it was bad bearings FTW). I don't think they are terrible- but over time the small things started to add up and left me somewhat burned out.

FWIW, I do not know of any independent Subaru repair and tune shop in the Richmond area. Its unfortunate that no one is running a good indepedent repair and performance tune shop around here. I think that more competition would be raise the bar and be good for eveyone. As it stands right now you have four choices:

1. Local Subaru Dealerships

2. Local independent shop (I don't know of any that are really good around here)

3. Take your car out of the area for repairs

4. Learn to do it yourself

I've been using options 3 and 4 lately.

Good luck!

Thanks @rimfaxe There is a tune shop on Hull Street in the city limits that even has an AWD dyno. But I think they are more of a performance shop than a repair place. Depending on what Pence tells me on Monday, I'll call them.

I thought I had read one of @Blackfang's posts where he said Pence charges a resonable amount for the 30k service. They want almost $700! That is insane... even $200 just for the tranny flush. As suspected, they are like all the other dealerships in regards to trying to get away with gouging their customers.

FWIW, I just had a modified version of the 30k done at Pence. Since I had neither the funds nor inclination to spend $700 on the darn thing I did a bit of poking around here on the forums then got a copy of the services included in the package deal and went a la carte from there. For right around $500 I got the following (the 30k services that I didn't need or opted not to get are marked in parentheses):

Replace Oil & Filter

Rotate/Balance Tires

Flush Coolant

(Replace Fuel Filter for Pre '05)

(Replace Air Filter)

(Adjust E Brake) - If my car rolls down the hill below my house I'll regret this one

(Battery Service)

Flush Transmission Fluid

Flush Brake Fluid

(Fuel System Treatment)

(Replace Spark Plugs) Not due til 60k on mine

(Vehicle Evaluation) - Not sure what this entails, exactly, but Gary threw a complimentary one in anyway

Even after getting the price down somewhat, $500 is still good motivation to learn to do some of it myself before 60k rolls around.

Most of the stuff on the 30 and 60K is easy. I think doing at least some if it yourself would help bring the price down some. The sparkplug replacement is a PIA from the looks of it- but not impossible. I had that done in at the dealership and paid up as well. I'll probably DIY the next time- Here's a guide from another post:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12070&highlight=change+spark+plugs

I had the transmission flush and diffs done when the clutch was replaced, so I should be set for a while.

The scheduled maintenance is a high-margin area for dealerships and they are seldom discounted more than 10% with any specials or coupons, etc.

FWIW, I just had a modified version of the 30k done at Pence. Since I had neither the funds nor inclination to spend $700 on the darn thing I did a bit of poking around here on the forums then got a copy of the services included in the package deal and went a la carte from there. For right around $500 I got the following (the 30k services that I didn't need or opted not to get are marked in parentheses):

Replace Oil & Filter

Rotate/Balance Tires

Flush Coolant

(Replace Fuel Filter for Pre '05)

(Replace Air Filter)

(Adjust E Brake) - If my car rolls down the hill below my house I'll regret this one

(Battery Service)

Flush Transmission Fluid

Flush Brake Fluid

(Fuel System Treatment)

(Replace Spark Plugs) Not due til 60k on mine

(Vehicle Evaluation) - Not sure what this entails, exactly, but Gary threw a complimentary one in anyway

Even after getting the price down somewhat, $500 is still good motivation to learn to do some of it myself before 60k rolls around.

How much was your Service? I am the Subaru Advisor there but have been gone for a week military duty and Gary our Kia guy filled in for me. My 30k Service is never $700 on any Subaru. The vehicle evaluation is free. That is them checking everything over on it.

If i am not mistake the Service for the LGT should be around $429.

Edit- I just double checked. The 5MT is $429 and an auto is $499.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

@blackfang, I have a call into whoever handles your service dept. I need my 30k and also need to have a couple issues addressed. I have to tell you, I've NEVER been satisfied with dealer service shops. I've only found independent shops that care at all about building relationships with their customers... let alone getting the work done to anything that resembles acceptable standards. I'm going to give you guys a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

When I am not away for the military, it is me. I am the Service Advisor for Pence. However, it appears you are happy with other shops. I would continue to use them being they are cheaper and you already have a good report with them. I know there are quite a few on here, and a few Nasioc folks are happy with our service, our pricing, they keep coming back, and seem to recommend me to local enthusiasts. Some even drive over an hour to come to us. Then again, I am active in the community, so it is more about the total visit, than coming to have work done. Of course I work with all LGT and Nasioc customers on pricing. Plus the Nasioc gang get their own discount from the Parts Dept as well if they buy parts at the counter. If you are happy with a shop that does good work, stick with them. It works out better in the long run. Just like I have customers that are pleased and come back.

BTW, what is it that dealership service depts do that upset you?

Here is the performance shop: http://www.adrenalineautoworks.com

I think I'm just going to take it to them on Monday. Pence's pricing on the 30k service being one of the highest I've ever heard of has pushed me away.

Pip@ Adrenaline is good people. I don't know how my service is the highest@ $429 and I know it is way below Subaru of Richmond and a few hundred less than most other dealerships in VA. Either way, Pip should take care of you.

Also our fall Subaru Rally is going to be announced soon as well.

BTW, what is it that dealership service depts do that upset you?

Pip@ Adrenaline is good people. I don't know how my service is the highest@ $429 and I know it is way below Subaru of Richmond and a few hundred less than most other dealerships in VA.

Well, I've had numerous poor experiences at dealer service shops. They are priced VERY high, they have tried charging me for a $75 windshield wiper install (that I didn't request), stolen items from my car, damaged my car's paint, damaged my car's interior, well, there are others but that is enough. These instances are from just about every dealership on Midlothian turnpike over the past 19 years. So you can see there are some trust issues.

Regarding that price, I might pay $429, but when I called on Friday, I was quoted $695 for the 30k service... again, adding to my difficulty in trusting dealer service shops.

Well, I've had numerous poor experiences at dealer service shops. They are priced VERY high, they have tried charging me for a $75 windshield wiper install (that I didn't request), stolen items from my car, damaged my car's paint, damaged my car's interior, well, there are others but that is enough. These instances are from just about every dealership on Midlothian turnpike over the past 19 years. So you can see there are some trust issues.

I do not put parts on your car that you do not tell me to. Infact, I do not do work on your car unless you authorize it. As for the other issues, I completely understand where you are coming from.

Regarding that price, I might pay $429, but when I called on Friday, I was quoted $695 for the 30k service... again, adding to my difficulty in trusting dealer service shops.

Yes, the person you spoke to was filling in for me in my absence. He may not be up to par on the service pricing for each model. By any chance, did you tell him you had a legacy GT? He doesn't deal with Subaru's on a daily basis as he handles the Kia's, so he may not have known or may have quoted you the 60k price which is what that is.

I apologize, for the mix up. It is unfortunate, but there are times I am away because I am in the Military Reserves and duty calls. I would recommend pming me for any future questions or service requests just in case I am out like some of the enthusiast on here, IWSTI, and Nasioc folks do, or they just tell me at the weekly meets.

Yes, the person you spoke to was filling in for me in my absence. He may not be up to par on the service pricing for each model. By any chance, did you tell him you had a legacy GT? He doesn't deal with Subaru's on a daily basis as he handles the Kia's, so he may not have known or may have quoted you the 60k price which is what that is.

Thanks for the info. I did tell him what car I had. You have highlighted my concern though. Your fill-in was quite willing to represent that he knew what he was talking about. Given this, This leave me to suspect that others on the staff, perhaps a mechanic, would do the same.

This said, now that I know that you are there, I'll consider contacting you next time the need arises.

Thanks for the info. I did tell him what car I had. You have highlighted my concern though. Your fill-in was quite willing to represent that he knew what he was talking about. Given this, This leave me to suspect that others on the staff, perhaps a mechanic, would do the same.

This said, now that I know that you are there, I'll consider contacting you next time the need arises.

I can only think he accidentally quoted you the 60k service for a LGT being that is the same price. My 3 technicians are very knowledgeable about these cars as that is all they have been working on for the past 10-15 years and almost 20 for one of them.

That'll teach me to get service done while you're away (although in Gary's defense, the sheet he copied for me was pretty unclear about the price difference between 30k/60k/120k.) Thanks for the info!

That'll teach me to get service done while you're away (although in Gary's defense, the sheet he copied for me was pretty unclear about the price difference between 30k/60k/120k.) Thanks for the info!

The LGT sheet is clear and easy. The 30k is not the same as a 60k/120k(60 and 120 is the same service). The 90k is a different service as well.

Did he show you the the Legacy and Outback sheets? They are different and can be confusing being some of the Leg/Out take plugs at every 30k(pre 06) and some do not get plugs until 60k. The 60k service cost more being the plugs are platinum and not copper like the ones changed every 30k.

I'll vouch for Pence as reputable despite the ugly things I posted about blackfang a long time ago in a fit of rage. I have made my amends with him, and would send any subie to him for work, especially south of the james and in sticky warranty issues.

I have some other shops with which I have long standing relationships that I also recommend.

If you still need a different shop, PM me.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I'll vouch for Pence as reputable despite the ugly things I posted about blackfang a long time ago in a fit of rage. I have made my amends with him, and would send any subie to him for work, especially south of the james and in sticky warranty issues.

I have some other shops with which I have long standing relationships that I also recommend.

If you still need a different shop, PM me.

Thanks Todd. Any luck on those parts you have been selling?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Drew, are you still using the subie guy and if so what kind of work have you had done with him? I'm in need of a complete engine replacement and am looking for good modestly priced options.

Eric (The Subie Guy) did my engine replacement. I'll PM you later with details.

Archived