LegacyGT.com

Part and labor for rack and pinion

WOW I just had mine replaced with a rebuilt unit and left ball joint nightmare for about that much.

Go find a repair shop and tell them you don't want a A1 Cardon rack, they are known to leak just outside the 12 month warranty.

The rack should be about $350, + couple hours labor + alignment.

Was that price from the dealer. RT_M it will tell you what type PS fluid to use.

I think it's GM type fluid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

900 is a bit high. It isn't a crazy job, but it is a good amount of labor hours plus an alignment at the end.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.2971 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

FWIW my guy charges me $40.00 for the alignment. But I have been going to him for stuff for 30 years now.

I should look in the glove box in the car and see what he charged me for the rack. When talking he said about $350.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just got it replaced, now it's a tad bit harder to turn then before. Will it just take some time for it to smooth out like it was before?

How bout some minor whine while turning left to right staying put? Normal and will eventually go away?

They gave me a 3 year/36k warranty and I'm 99% sure I paid a bit too much, Total $900(part/labor/alignment)

Go to a parking lot and do some figure 8's at very low speed going lock to lock with the steering wheel.

My rack had some air left in it and felt funny at first. That fixed it. It may take a few times.

Check the fluid level for a few days to.

Yes they should.

My guy gave me the 3/4 full bottle of Vavoline PS fluid last Sept when I told him it was leaking. He said, here take this and keep it topped off until your ready to fix it.

I used it for a couple of days after he replaced the rack to top it off. I still have about a 1/3 of the bottle left.

Did you use a repair shop or the dealer ?

Did you have this done at a dealership? if so just to use round #'s. 400$ for the rack 300$ for the laber 100$ for the alignment then tax and shop supplys. If i was told I needed a new one i would e happy to pay that much. I am a parts person at a dealership and I know that racks can get up in price real fasts. And I would do but the same thing that max has said to get and air out of the lines that be still be inside of the rack. If it does not go away after 3 or 4 days take it right back and tell them to fix the noise and to tell you why your steering is so heavy.

Will do, thanks guys, Local big chain auto repair shop. I'll wait 1 week or so and see how it feels then

Don't wait, take it back.

Archived