LegacyGT.com

Latest and greatest paint for interior trim?

Swine

My interior trim has seen better days. Whats a paint or process thats actually been holding up and not chipping? Anyone having particular good results with something they want to share?

All depends on what you want and what skill level you have.

PPG makes all sorts of dyes and stains you can get specifically for plastic and upholstery. Used some on an old Chevy pickup dash and made it look bran new. Sorry I dont have any specific info on it at the moment. I'll find it and send you some more info if you want.

There are several options. The trim in my RX7 was really bad. On that forum I learned about Tamiya paint. It is supposed to be a specially formulated paint for plastic. Its sold at hobby shops for model car painting. Its a process though to get a lasting finish. I used a plastic primer on my pieces, followed by the Tamiya paint, and then bought a good satin clear coat to put over the top. It turned out fairly well. I had issues with the clear laying flat but I guarantee that it was going to last many years. Not sure how well the Tamiya would hold up without clear coating over. But it laid down awesome, and looked great. I did a dark metallic gray. They come in little cans, and aren't cheap, but the vast selection is nice to have.

I used Krylon Fusion quite a bit in multiple cars.

It all comes down to prep.

I'd go with the Satin and a Matte or Flat Clear coat to keep glare down.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/boxerwerks/2008%20Outback%2025i/IMG_20140326_181844_zpslxvkllsc.jpg

Krylon Fusion is always a safe bet. The only downside is the color selection. Solid choice though. Pic looks good. Your carbon fiber weave going in a different direction on the fip down tray would drive me crazy though. Lol.

Archived