LegacyGT.com

trying to get into an SS

It's probably been beaten on for at least some of the almost 200k miles. $3k seems a bit steep to me but there probably aren't many of these around so if you really want one and there is no significant rusting then go for it. Just be prepared to spend some money on it.

It seems like with what he has into it and

how he described some things that he's

probably a young guy that's beat the living

crap out of it and wants something else since

that thing wont last forever and since it's a

turbo he's wanting a lot of money for a high

mileage vehicle.

Now all in all it looks pretty clean, but young

guys rarely baby cars like that. I would hold

off and find a cheaper one. Use that extra

money you saved towards making it nicer.

I paid $2300 for mine w/164k. It had new tires, brakes, timing, and is very clean. One small rust spot on a fender and a few dings. It's bone stock, and was pampered its whole life before I bought it. Unfortunately, the head gaskets started to go immediately after I bought it, so I had to pull the engine out. But it gave me the opportunity to rebuild it and replace every damn seal that I cold get my hands on.

$3000 is a bit too much, but like rtb said if you really, really want it, try and talk him down. However, this SS is one of the rarer 5 speeds (most of the SSs sold were 4EATs), which will make it a lot of fun to drive. It could potentially be a great car, but be prepared to do some work on it. The head gaskets do go bad on these little beasts. FWIW, I recently found an SS here in SLC that runs, but needs a lot of the seals replaced for $1200. It has 140k, and is very clean with no rust. $3000 is a lot. The kid can't expect to get his money back on the mods he has done.

Right now I'm just testing the SS waters but I also thought 3000 is a bit high. And he said that the head gaskets are original and that's not a mess I want to get into for that high of a price. For 1200 I have a lot more room for improvement. But I'm gonna take my time and hopefully I'll come across a gem or one for cheap I can work on

I wish you were closer so we could go get the black one here for cheap! :) I'd even help you tear it apart. I'm not saying the HGs are bad for sure, just letting you know what happened to me. Too bad they aren't bulletproof HGs like the early EJ22Es have.

Go take it for a test romp!;)

Archived