LegacyGT.com

Rota Grids Finally ON

cbarela

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the compliments.

After pulling and rolling my fenders and putting these wheels on. I actually can go lower now. The stretched tire allows all the tire tread to be in line in the wheel well while the stretched side wall of the tire and wheel sticks out past the body of the car by at least 1/2 an inch.

I will definitely be looking into coil overs for next year.

what is the point of running wide wheels if you can't put wide tires on them? :confused:

Agreed. I just don't see how stretching tires does anything positive, it can only put additional stresses in the tire that it may not have been designed to take. OP can put 275's or 285's on those rims, but only with some pretty serious fender flares.

Either 9.5 is too wide for the car or the offset is wrong, I don't think the rim should project past the sheet metal.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91305&d=1287277318

This one pic definitely does not look right. I can only imagine the stress the bearings are going through! I wish there was an animated gif depicting the suffering! :lol: And what happens under hard cornering? Just wondering.

X

---

I can appreciate the feed back both good and bad. :rolleyes:

This is a look only for aesthetics, obviously. The last I looked we are modding daily driven vehicles not looking for feed back on time attack or SoloII vehicles. Of course you can fit a larger tire on this wheel, but I do not want too.

This a look that I have been a fan of for years. Even when I was in Germany, admiring stretched and poked tires on slammed BMWs, Audis, Mercs, hell even some bad ass Opels. I had a 2001 VW Jetta with 18x10 Brock wheels in the rear w/255/35 tires and 18x8.5 Brocks up front with 225/40 tires on a front wheel drive vehicle. In practical, yes, bad ass look, HELL YES.

I am no noobie to suspension and wheel and tire set ups. Have raced SoloII for over ten years regionally and nationally, until I decided to take up coaching. So, thank you for ALL inputs. In respect to everyone at Stance Works, Stance Nation, and Fatlace, FORM over FUNCTION.

it's supposed to be Form follows Function.

this is what happens when people choose wheels FIRST, then decide what tires they can get away with. for performance, safety, tire wear, and any other reason that makes any kind of sense, wheels should be chosen to fit inside the tires you want to run. not the other way around. your tires are the only part of your car that touches the road surface. wheels are just a tool to attach them to the vehicle.

are they important? sure. but you wouldn't choose which screwdriver to use on the basis of how cool it looks before finding proper screws for your application, would you?

this is what happens when people choose wheels FIRST, then decide what tires they can get away with. for performance, safety, tire wear, and any other reason that makes any kind of sense, wheels should be chosen to fit inside the tires you want to run. not the other way around. your tires are the only part of your car that touches the road surface. wheels are just a tool to attach them to the vehicle.

are they important? sure. but you wouldn't choose which screwdriver to use on the basis of how cool it looks before finding proper screws for your application, would you?

thats stupid, he's not racing the car so get over it.

LOL. You're funny.

I can appreciate the feed back both good and bad. :rolleyes:

This is a look only for aesthetics, obviously. The last I looked we are modding daily driven vehicles not looking for feed back on time attack or SoloII vehicles. Of course you can fit a larger tire on this wheel, but I do not want too.

This a look that I have been a fan of for years. Even when I was in Germany, admiring stretched and poked tires on slammed BMWs, Audis, Mercs, hell even some bad ass Opels. I had a 2001 VW Jetta with 18x10 Brock wheels in the rear w/255/35 tires and 18x8.5 Brocks up front with 225/40 tires on a front wheel drive vehicle. In practical, yes, bad ass look, HELL YES.

I am no noobie to suspension and wheel and tire set ups. Have raced SoloII for over ten years regionally and nationally, until I decided to take up coaching. So, thank you for ALL inputs. In respect to everyone at Stance Works, Stance Nation, and Fatlace, FORM over FUNCTION.

So you really think it is a fine idea to ignore rim width ranges specified by the tire manufacturers for a given tire size? I am a structural engineer, and I can guaranty you that the stresses in your tires will most definitely be affected by changing their geometry that much.

Would these stresses be deleterious? I am not a tire designer so I could not say, but as an engineer I would NEVER put a stressed element out of the manufacturer's spec unless I could ABSOLUTELY convince myself beyond any doubt that it was safe to do so.