LegacyGT.com

So I noticed yesterday when pulling into my driveway a clunking noise going on. Again, this morning I started the car up and there was some rattling going on and then shifted it into reverse and it got worse. Fearful, but needing to work, I proceeded on the way. It seemed to get not as intense but the noise was still there for the 20 minute drive.

I called the service department and got an appointment but they said, from my description, that it is just loose heat shields.

Anyone had any experience with these noises?

Car is '08 3.0R with 46,250 miles.

Heat shields are the common culprit b/c once they heat up they stop rattling(sometimes).

Could you tell if it was noise related to engine speed or a noise related to the whole car moving?

Had a buddy out of the car while I was in it and determined that it is coming from the front of the car. I'll have to look at it further but it seemed to only make the noise/worse when it was in a gear. Sitting in Park it might have made a slight noise but no where near the noise it did when in gear just revving the engine. Revving it in Park, the two times I tried, yielded no difference in noise, however, in gear, loud noises.

clunking is just the rear diff doing its thing. rattling is probably a heat shield

As far as the rear diff, I believe I have something wrong with it as when it stays in 5th gear around 32mph it makes a murmur and then if I give it some gas it goes away or shift it into 4th it also goes away.

• 5 months later...

Hate to open this thing back up but, the "murmur" as I explained before is seeming to happen more frequently. It used to only do it in "Intelligent" mode but it now does it in Sport or Sport#. It seems it is when it goes into a lower portion of the gear? (torque converter). If I have in the manual shift mode and keep it in 5 or 4 it still does it, and it is irregardless to the temperature outside (started last winter) or of the engine.

Any ideas?

Hate to open this thing back up but, the "murmur" as I explained before is seeming to happen more frequently. It used to only do it in "Intelligent" mode but it now does it in Sport or Sport#. It seems it is when it goes into a lower portion of the gear? (torque converter). If I have in the manual shift mode and keep it in 5 or 4 it still does it, and it is irregardless to the temperature outside (started last winter) or of the engine.

Any ideas?

if you are under warranty I would let the dealer deal with it, this seems like a combo of one things producing the noise you describe and given the previous diagnosis it may be something better left to a mechanic

Archived