LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

so i figured it was time to start a thread devoted to people crazy enough to rip apart their tail lights.

power_getter was first..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48426

thats his thread.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/power_getter/IMG_07.jpg

I want to do something similar, the LED strips he used are SO expensive!!

This is just an intro, I have a lot of stuff to post but not enough time!

I really like the "bars: that he did along the bottom.. I also want to make the blinkers amber, however- something like this is what I'd currently thinking about.

http://www.berzindesign.com/DSC_0115c.jpg

ideas? like?? how else could i do it?

Also, I want to add a few red LEDs that project sideways.. like most new cars (in the headlights as well, but those will be amber)

http://www.berzindesign.com/wheels/modified-bmw-5-series-e60-angelibright-fiber-optic-headlight-bulbs.jpg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed for the outcome!

Good luck, Arc! :)

Just be sure that whatever you use, it's bright enough! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

if your looking for flexible light strips....such as the ones some put under/in their headlights for DRLs.....i used customdynamics.com (look under the motorcycle category) and got "stingerz" for my motorcycle. Unbelieveably bright, very pleased with the outcome, not too bad on price. Flexible strips that come with tape on all 3 sides (u can take off what you won't use). just FYI if your still shoppin around

removing the tails seems to be pretty easy, there was some instructions on here somewhere I'll look around for them...

as for junkyard type things, I'm not looking to cannabalize any LED tail lights, only just to find a spare set of LGT sedan taillights to rip apart so I can still have a normal set

For the reverse lights I'm just going to use replacement LED bulbs

Turn signals- will no longer be the top part of the light, but only the amber LED strip seen in the picture, wrapped around the reverse light

running light- the lower part of the taillight, using LED strips

Brakes- the bottom part of the tail will get brighter, as well as the top turning on

Power_getter, the original member who made LED tails, used a mercedes-benz s500 LED module. I'll be building this part from scratch using LEDs, PCB, drivers, resistors, etc

Furthermore, the LED strips I plan on using.

I know customdynamics/motorcycle type LED lighting places sell LED strips ( the ones power_getter used), but they're SO EXPENSIVE. its a rip off.

Another thing that customdynamics charges for are "dual density" wiring, or something, which allows for running lights (50% brightness), and brakes (100%) - dont buy these things! they charge like 5 bucks but you can make one for 10 cents! all it is is two diodes..

anyway- LED strips

http://www.oznium.com/product_photos/large/1850.jpg

They're common.. and cheap! and don't worry they won't be green. I don't think they would look good alone, but I want to experiment with buying some acrylic rod ( something like http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90294.htm?source=froogle) and cutting out a notch for the LED strip, and then etching sides so its diffused... I hope that produces the desired effect..

comments? ideas?

removing the tails seems to be pretty easy, there was some instructions on here somewhere I'll look around for them...

From what I remember from-memory, for the '05 sedan:

Look for the Pop-Its that secure the gray "carpeting" insert for the trunk, and pull them from the base of the trunk (to insure sufficient working room) near the rear light housing, and around the light housings.

Next, you should see four small "gold" nuts and bolts (9mm ? - again, I can't quite recall clearly). Remove all of these. You may need to start with an open-ended wrench or box-wrench, unless you've got deep sockets.

Sorry my memory is so shady on this, but I've done projects with both my '05 sedan and on my wife's '05 WRX sedan...and hers was the last one that I took apart, so I may have a few little details mixed up. :redface:

Regardless:

With these nuts out, just push on the housing from the inside, the light will pop out. There's an additional clip on the far outboard side, but just pops right on and off, and helps more to align the assembly (you'll see this to be the case, once you've removed your housing a few times).

The first time you do this, this will take some muscle..... but successive installations/dis-installs will be quite fast. :) Ask me how I know....I've got two and a half sets of tail-lights! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ :) Wish I could - I'm saving my USDMs for when I decide to go back to stock.

And the spare left USDM?....I am thinking about picking up a spare right, and playing around with it a bit in terms of an "embedded jammer" setup. ;)

hahaha. that'd be interesting.

Speaking of jammers. I might have already mentioned this, but i have a bunch of 5 Watt (beastly) infrared LEDs and want to play around with wiring them into the jammer that I already have.. we'll see what happens.. haha

^ That should be most interesting, indeed. :)

The NE-hobbyist group routinely, if not frequently, does testing in your area - if you finish your project, contact PMoth on the RD.net Forums, and tell him you're my friend from LegacyGT.com, and would like to test out your little personal project with some police LIDAR.

He should be more than willing to help. :)

Archived