LegacyGT.com

3.0r driveability

Hey

Ive just recently bought a 2005 3.0r (im assuming its spec b coz it has the 6 speet mt) but coming from my old 98 wrx it seems really hard to drive with regards to the throttle and clutch.

Now im really anal about slipping clutches as little as possible which might be part of the problem, in my old car it was easy to get moving without slipping the clutch but in this i really struggle on starts.

I know ill get used to it in time but what i feel is part of the problem is:

1)The DBW throttle seems like the first 10mm of travel on the pedal only slightly effects the rpm

2)The reaction time of the DBW is rather slow meaning that if you stab the throttle on and off fast enough it will ignore what youve done and not change rpm at all

3)The clutch pedal return spring is too strong giving very little feedback when the clutch starts to bite

4)The clutch engage point is too high making you guess where it is

Before you tell me to learn to drive stick keep in mind that ive driven plenty of manual cars, vans and trucks, you name it ive driven it (well not tanks but thats on my to do list;) ) and i could rev match nicely including heel toe downshift in the wrx, which i unfortunately cant do to well in the legacy.

Dont get me wrong i love the car, the engine and gearbox are amazing but i cant quite get over these problems

Are these common complaints for these cars? More importantly are there any ways to fix them? Ill try adjust the clutch position and see how much of a difference that makes also I read some where about changing the clutch pedal return spring which seems promising but cant find any info on it

Cheers Jono

BTW sorry that was a bit more of a rant than i had intended :rolleyes:

The DBW throttle doesn't lag. But what it does do is have a hard time switching from idle to throttle. I did get a vag-com cable which allowed me to change the DBW throttle tables to make it feel more normal under throttle, but if you sit at idle in the car and press the throttle carefully until the rpm actually changes, you'll notice that when it does change it's awkward and sudden and the rpm just jumps up. On another note, I don't have any problems driving my DBW 2.5i without slipping the clutch much and I haven't driven a ton of manuals (just a few old beetles, and a 1946 Chevy COE and a '99 S10). Just keep in mind, clutches are made for slipping, as long as you don't slip it to the point where it overheats and starts burning it should work fine and last plenty long. Also, I am soooo jealous of your 3.0R, that's what I want. 3.0R with a 6MT is just drool worthy. And of course we didn't get ANY in the damn USA.

The 3.0r with 6mt is an awesome combo, its what sold me on the car, well that and i got a pretty good price on it :D

Ive been looking at flashing the throttle tables as described in this thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537010

Is the vag-com cable all id need to flash the ecu? Im hopping that i wont have to get the tactrix cable simply due to the cost. It does look pretty fun to play around with provided i dont brick the ecu :D

Your right about the clutch tho its just something i need to get used to. I did go for a bit of a blat today and its not as bad as i thought, i think part of my problem is its so freaking quiet i cant hear what the engine is doing, that and having the radio not working is making me a bit pissy lol :p

Im pretty sure the dbw has a certain degree of lag as in when your cruising then out your foot down it dosnt seem to do anything for a while then it really gets moving. Im not sure if this is the fault of the DBW system or just the way its set up. do you think this is something editing the tables could fix?

Look up the hogzaust if you want some more noise haha, but with a bit louder exhaust you can really hear that the DBW throttle has about zero lag under power. Coming off idle though, it really does. And that thread is the same I looked at when I did my DBW tables! And yes, for you the vag-com should work fine. However I don't know if they have ECU definitions for a 3.0R. Go here: http://romraider.com/ and poke around on the forum to see how to get rom raider and ecu flash up and running with your car. Just checked, it looks like it is supported. Where are you at? Europe? Australia?

Archived