LegacyGT.com

Performance vs. 6 cylinders... street start, 50-70, etc

z28dreams

Hi all,

I'm right on the verge of buying an LGT, but am wondering a little bit about performance and how it compares to other vehicles.

I won't be doing any powerbraking or really hard launches, but it would be nice to have the performance where it counts.

For example, getting from a highway ramp up to speed (say 20-30mph -> 70mph) and possibly a few quick rolling starts (5-10mph -> 40mph or so).

How does the LGT hold up at these higher-speed starts?

I will have an 05 5EAT, eventually flashed to stage I (but probably stock for a while).

Would I be a lot better off with something like the Nissan VQ 3.5 engine for these 30->70mph sprints?

From numbers I'm reading: (for a 5EAT)

0-60: around 6.5s stock. how quick w/ stage I ? High 5's?

5-60: no idea ???

30-50 ???

50-70 ???

Is this car a dog at highway speeds? I'm trying to find some numbers to compare.

Here was my experience from the track in my run group (HPDE 1 & 2)

A gutted raced prepped underweight Mustang GT is damn fast.

The Mustang Cobra (N/A DOHC) was only a little quicker than the LGT.

Stock Evo about the same to almost having edge to the LGT.

I like the LGT :-)

Do you currently have a Z28?

Anything over 2800 RPM's is the sweet spot... :)

The LGT has many advantages though, I dont know many a car that has as much passing power as the LGT has, very comfortable, luxurious, will annialate just about anything from a stop, easily modified, and its dang quick at any speed me thinks.

Test drive one and see for yourself, I dont think you'll be dissapointed.

Oh, and the 0-60 seems pretty low... Even for a 5EAT... You should be able to get 5.8 ish 0-60 times pretty easily. Its not slow :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is - I never plan on beating up my car doing power-brake launches, so it might be best to compare the vehicle against others in the following:

5-60mph

30-70mph

...and maybe forget about 0-60 all together.

For those 2 stats, would something like a Maxima w/ a VQ35 be faster? What about an Acura TL?

I'm a big fan of displacement, but I kind of like the handling/interior/turbo options on the LGT. I'd hate to get eaten alive on the highway though from 55-70 vs some luxury car.

The Acura TL is the biggest performance lie ever created by an auto manufacturer. Makes for a nice luxo-barge.

As I said before, I've been neck and neck with a stock Evo up in the triple digits.

How about vs. a VQ35 or something with big displacement like a Mustang w/ the 4.6L or older fbody w/ the 5.7? I assume it would just be destroyed at highway speeds?

Not sure about the VQ35. I've been in a 350Z and didn't feel it pulled any harder than my car :-/

The 4.6L and the LT1 and LS1 definitely has more steam at higher speeds, but the 4.6L is a bit of a weak nut compared to the Chevy engines in my experience.

If you are really only concerned about rolling starts highways speeds get a LS1 Z28 and turn the LS1 into an LS6 and have a low 12s car.

Ya, not really interested in an f-body/etc... want something a little more luxurious/etc. I'm almost 28 now, so something a little more classy would be nice.

Anything else I should consider in the $15k range that's nice/has a lot of power/not unreliable?

Again, you gotta drive an LGT to believe it... Your not gonna be disappointed at all... Its a power hungry beast that'll keep you grinning. And I have yet to find a typical 4 door sedan that can keep up with the LGT. (infinity, bmw 3 series, acura, nissan, accord, etc...) From any speed...

Go drive one and smile... :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

If you are willing to go Stage II as opposed to Stage I you will see a difference as well.

I had old style Maximas (a 2000 5MT and a 2001 Auto). I have not driven a Maxima with the new style engine but can't imagine that it would hold up against a Stage II LGT performance wise.

it would be nice to have the performance where it counts

it might be best to compare the vehicle against others in the following: 5-60mph

make up your mind: want to know about performance where it counts, or meaningless 5-60? i fail to see how 5-60 is useful in any daily driving situation. feel free to educate me if i am overlooking something

you will not have any problems merging or passing. yes, it is a dog going from 130-140mph up hill

The LGT is a good overall car. I have never feel it "strain" when I stomp on the pedal, and I can quickly overtake cars at highway speeds. That is all I ask for. Forget all these 0-60, 5-60, 40-70, A-B, Apples-Oranges numbers...they are just numbers and don't reflect on how you will drive the car.

That's why auto LGT's are getting 0-60's in 4.0 seconds with a larger turbo with even more lag.. Right.

Ayup! I'd say a big turbo LGT would be doing good if it got into the 5.x range from a 5 mph start.

My 20G feels a bit softer down low versus stage 2, and 5mph is definitely down low.

Before the LGT I had an '02 Mustang GT, intake, catless x-pipe and catback. Stock I think the LGT was slower, Stage1 probably about equal, Stage2 now and the mustang would get smoked. Granted that was just the 4.6 V8, but it would probably compare to current big displacement V6s.

If you are already considering Stage1 then you might as well get a downpipe (just get a shorty if you're worried about noise/emissions) and go Stage2 for not much more $$.

I fell in love with my LGT the moment I opened the door and saw the interior. After taking the car for a drive.... WOW. I could not hand the guy my cash fast enough. Seriously. I took the bus for SIX MONTHS while waiting for a black on black 05+ LGT w/ leather to appear. And given what I know about the car now, I would wait longer if needed.

This topic is older so I'm sorry I missed it.

I owned a VQ35DE Altima before my Legacy GT. The Alty had a sucky 4-speed automatic. Let me first emphasize what a night and day difference between the Legacy's 5-speed auto and that 4-speed auto.

The Legacy auto: crisp shifts, quick shifts, responsive, better gear ratios

The Altima auto: lethargic at times, soft shift points, crappy gear ratios

If I were to compare I would say they are just about the same. If you were to floor both at 30, 4-, 60mph, the Legacy takes a bit longer to build up steam due to the factor of the turbo and boost.

I know there is a rule on this board so I will say this. I raced a manual Altima SE-R at the track both from a 20mph roll and 40mph roll. My LGT is a Stage 1 2005 automatic. Although on paper it should have been the other way around, I edged out on him good. From a 20mph roll I punched it before he did, put 3 carlengths on him and he never made that ground up to 70 when we ran out of tracklength. We made another pass starting @ 40mph, we started out even and I pulled on him until I put him at my rear bumper and would have continued to pull if we didn't run out of track at 80mph.

It was pretty clear that, with every shift, he was losing ground. This LGT just had a superior power curve, plain and simple. So, you keep asking about the VQ and what it can do. On a 3rd Gen Altima it will edge out from rolling starts. The Maxima is heavier, so same outcome.

The fact that you are giving up the crappy wrong-wheel drive for all-wheel-drive more than makes up for any possible lack of grunt under 2800rpm.

The real question is, can you live with the lower mpg? My Altima would consistently get me 23-24mpg in town, 4-speed autotragic and all. This LGT so far is averaging at around 19.5-21mpg

Archived