LegacyGT.com

Stock 2.5i vs GT Suspension

zach999

First off, forgive me for being suspension ignorant but I recently traded in my 2.5i wagon for an 2.5GT automatic and it kinda seems that the stock 2.5i suspension was tighter than the GT's stock suspension. I am trying to figure out if that is the truth or am I just traveling at higher speeds, accelerating harder around and out of the corners, etc in the GT.

I swear I had a hard time screaching the wheels on the 2.5i but I can definitely screach the wheels on the GT. Just kinda disappointed with the stock GT suspension...way too soft for that kind of power.

I have heard so much about the spec's B's suspension...what is the general cost range to upgrade a legacy gt to spec b like suspension using new parts. How much for labor?

Loving the curves,

Zach

Yeah youre driving faster :)

But the stock GT setup is on the soft side. Just changling the springs alone makes a big difference, then sways if you want, some better tires and voila your pretty tight.

Springs are $200-300

Funny, I had a base legacy as a loaner for two weeks before getting the GT, and I feel the same way. Also, braking distances seem longer, wondering if it's just the power increase or the the stock tire downgrade!

Does the turning radius seem larger to you on the GT? It does to me.....hope it's just the break-in process, the loaner had about 4000 km.

Are you guys serious?

How can the turbo model have worst suspension then the 2.5i? I had to change my suspension due to the fact that I thought i was gonna spill out my window durring a hard corner. Im curently running Megan Coils and I must say I am in love. The price is right, you tune them the way you want and you could rebuild them for so much more less then all the other coils.

From doing a little research I think the spirited driver scenario could put a stiffer set of springs and rear sway bar on and probably that would do the trick. It appears many people use the Cusco Sway Bars (Rear are ~$180) and decent Springs cost anywhere from $250-425 (Pinks, Swift). Install labor probably costs around $200-$500 for those items so for around $500-$800, you can tighten your soft GT ride up. Wait till your stock tires get runned down and then buy decent tires for probably $300. Grand total of $800-$1100 over course of 1-2 years and you are there. To me the spirited driver, thats all I probably need for the GT ride...at least until I become addicted to modding which i hope never happens since I am not a rich man.

When I took my car in for 30K service, I got a 2.5i loaner. The suspension was way softer on the 2.5i. The brakes were much better, but then that's because the loaner only had 250 miles on it. I remeber my brakes feeling the same way when it was brand new.

To clarify, i was comparing the 06 2.5i Wagon vs the 05 LGT Sedan. Had a little body roll experience when my infant had an allergic reaction and was rushing to the hospital. I was making a long turn at a rushed pace and it reminds of a 2-step where my old honda prelude would make the turn in one step. i think i definitely have to get better springs and a sway bar. Does anyone think that will solve that 2-step? the 2-step scares me whereas what my honda did was slide in a controlled manner before any two-step would occur.

zach

First thing you should learn is that you really can't drive an AWD car like an FWD one. For one, the mid corner and exit is completely different. You'll find you can get on the gas earlier and wind out the steering wheel faster. You'll need to compensate for this at turn-in.

Yep to take advantage of the AWD traction. But the body roll probably has more to do with how the weight of the vehicle shifts during the turn. If only given one fix at this time due to budgetary constraints, which option is better: better springs or sway bars to remedy the car's body roll?

I only have a 22mm rear bar and some Whiteline HD endlinks in the front. On the autocross I went to, I found little bodyroll (also similar comments from the cornerworkers) and I can get a controlled rotation of the rear midcorner with just the throttle.

Not bad for $200...

Archived