LegacyGT.com

TCU reset in 08 3.0R

CapnJack

Been doing some research here on the forum. My 08 3.0R has a pretty aggressive shift from 2-3 and I would like to reset the TCU to see if it will relearn. I've found the FreeSSM software, but there is some confusion if it will work or not on this model year. I have the tactrix openport 2.0 and know it won't work with that. Will it work with a VAG COM cable? Has anyone successfully connected to an 08+ with FreeSSM? I don't want to spend a lot of extra money if I can avoid it.

Dealer is about 90+ miles away and charges about $120 per hour so I don't want to take it in for the TSB if I can avoid it. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

• 2 weeks later...

:whore: for this info, I have read no 08.

FYI Cap I took mine in for the 2-3 shift shock reflash, they charged me 1/2 hr $60. But a guy at a local tune shop knew the service manager so I dropped his name so I think that helped. ;)

Also way worth doing it! Even if cost you the 120, I say do it.

However I don't think just a relearn will care for the issue, if it's the 2,3 3,2 shift shock, that's a reflash. The free software cannot do that.

• 4 weeks later...

Good News! It works :)

I got this cable (USB KKL 409.1 Cable) from EBay. Only issue I had was that it seemed like the disk that came for the driver cable did not want to install on Win7 so I just told it to search internet for the driver and it found it.

Once I was into SSM I had to try a few different USB ports but it recognized it and it worked.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s469/travrach1/Mobile%20Uploads/E2FAD991-0EC8-49D2-8EEB-93A8E8BF6302_zpsxtot84hy.jpg?1425403609856&1425403611069

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

You can also do this with RomRaider's logger (switch to TCU logging, reset TCU) or BtSsm (log and reset ECU or TCU).

See the BtSsm thread and BtSsm.com for info on what connection types and cables work.

VAG cable will work with either FreeSsm, RomRaider or BtSsm.

Anyone with the shift shock should also look into TCU updates from Subaru. There are at least a few for 4th and 5th gen Legacies and other models that address this exact issue.

Reflashing with the most current PAK file resets the TCU by default and helps to keep the shock from relearning.

Dealerships should do it for free or you would need a Subaru publications PAK CD and a Tactrix OPv2 or similar.

CaptJack - so far so good still? My 08 5EAT has a delayed shift from 2-3. However, my 09 5EAT is smooth as butter. TCU reset seems worth it for the $10 cost of the cable.

I've reset it a couple of times. It seems to be fine for a few months, then it gets wacky again. The reset takes care of it. Wash, rinse, repeat... :spin:

• 2 years later...

I also resolved my delayed shift bet 2nd n 3rd using freessm for linux. I am so amazed at this thread and everyone who posted here and of course the freessm developers for making this open source. I used debian and typed dpkg -i free*deb at the terminal; then ran freessm, and a gui box popped up.

Given there is shift shock in the first place this software is essential for soobie owners; it is only supported through the 09/10 MY, and aside from subsequent generations looking terrible this is further reason to stick wth the fourth.

'2009 LGT owner here(different than post title I know). I have done the reset twice and each time over a few weeks it slowly reverts back slide bang on the 2-3 shift. I am thinking a trip to the dealer for a reflash is what is needed. I will give them a call and listen to what they have to say. Car is under warranty with them so they should cover it regardless.

It's definitely abnormal to have harsh shift shock. Even with the reset the shift between 2 and 3 seems to be slipping with momentary rev (do you also have this symptom?), which i would take any day over the harsh shock.

Our transmisisons are worn and damaged.

If I do the reset on mine it shifts great for a while. It almost seems like when you baby it or drive like a little old lady that it reverts back to slide-bang. If you drive it like you stole it....shifts are good. My problem is I try to be easy on it way more often than not.

I have done two drain and fills on mine. Trans fluid was not horrible when I started and is at a good level now. I want to think damage isn't the culprit but more a sticky solenoid or something in the valve body is acting up. Hopeful thoughts though with only 56k on the clock.

I tried to call last evening but they were busy and I didn't want to sit on hold. I will try again today.

As expected, dealer said the warranty is useless (as are they)/(covers defects) and they would charge 2hrs to diagnose and clear adaptive memory, which is what I have done. They knew nothing of a reflash that may be available for the TCU. I guess it is the waiting game of how long it will last at this point. I have fluid for one more drain and fill which will happen at the next oil change. Maybe I could pull the battery and change the filter in the fender. Not sure what that would net me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's possible you might not need the reflash or update. It shows you in freessm what rom version your tcu and ecu are on; there is a list of tcu updates for every model and year to compare to if you search for a software update cd from subaru--i lost the link

My tcu was cleared just days ago, so I am curious to see the behavour with shock being relearned; it would be a nuisance if it is mere weeks instead of months.

Probbaby related but if i park against a slight upwards incilne and put transmission in park (brake pedal released; no hand brake); then upon shifting out, there is an abnormal, eyebrow raising clunk made from the transmission that sounds like a bunch of loose clutch plates that are about to fall apart. Does your transmssison do this also; just wondering.

There might be a vaccum leak causing the shift shock. Going back for relearns only works if the engine is running properly. I had those same issues . I swapped out the old worn inlet, throttle body hose, pcv, various vac lines and got a custom tune.

Was throttle response delay one of your issues by any chance?

Youre probably correct; also may depend on how one drives. I can even replicate the shift shock manually sometimes by releasing the pedal and reengaging strongly; unintentionally it can happen if you have delayed throtte response like i seem to have, which can be remedied by anticipating the delay, but otherwise the feel is similar to shift shock. So far for me after 500 miles the tcu seems to be relearning well, and even the momentary slippage i previously described after the reset has abated.

• 2 weeks later...
I can even replicate the shift shock manually sometimes by releasing the pedal and reengaging strongly; unintentionally it can happen if you have delayed throtte response like i seem to have,

That’s definitely a symptom of the poor stock tuning on 07-09 models. I’m willing to bet it happens to every 5EAT owner. Bright side is these transmissions are strong so don’t waste time going to shops over the occasional shift shock. You’re better off using the paddle shifters for the majority of your driving and always in Sport# mode. Intellimode does’nt improve your gas mileage enough to actively use and it makes for sloppy shifting to boot.

That’s definitely a symptom of the poor stock tuning on 07-09 models. I’m willing to bet it happens to every 5EAT owner. Bright side is these transmissions are strong so don’t waste time going to shops over the occasional shift shock. You’re better off using the paddle shifters for the majority of your driving and always in Sport# mode. Intellimode does’nt improve your gas mileage enough to actively use and it makes for sloppy shifting to boot.

I totally agree with the Intellimode not saving anything fuel wise. The car is so laggy in I mode that it seems to gulp fuel just the same as having the gitty-up and then easing back on the go pedal in S mode or even S#.

I have a Cobb AP3 on the way, a new OEM inlet, PVC valve and BPTMIC kit. I plan to tackle that stuff this weekend and also check all vacuum hoses and zip tie them accordingly. If I feel real frisky the banjo filter will be tackled as well. I hope these few things and flashing stage 1 makes the car run better. I'm not after a race car just a fun, spirited driver.

Archived