LegacyGT.com

If you had to replace your GT wagon, what - if anything - would be next?

Bought my used '06 LGT Limited wagon in '09 with 45k miles. It's now at 90,000 and, while generally still great, the problems are creeping up and maintenance is getting pricey.

Since the car is still worth (i think) a fair bit of money, I’m thinking I should sell it and move on. I realize 90k miles is not that much in the grand scheme but I like the idea of (theoretically anyway :)) not having to worry about recurring issues in a newer car with a warranty.

If I sold the LGT, I would want a wagon that’s fairly reliable, fun to drive, decent passing power, and inexpensive.

So new or used, what would you look at? I’ve looked at a bunch of different cars but they’ve all come up short, one way or another. (e.g. used Volvo XC70 - pricey and frequent repairs; used toyota Highlander V6: boring to drive; New Subaru Impreza wagon - no power; VW Golf Sportwagen: questionable reliability)

The alternative, of course, is to pony up some cash, fix the problems as they occur and drive her into the ground/off into the sunset, whichever comes first.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like the LGT, keep it. At 90k miles, the only maintenance that is likely is the water pump and timing belt and possibly your clutch and flywheel within the next 10-20k if it hasn't bee changed already. I don't know what taxes are, but the maintenance on the current car may be less than paying tax on a brand new car or newer used car.

Alternatives: CTS-V Wagon, C63 AMG wagon, Volvo 740DL ;)

TDi VW should last a long time. The DSG gearbox can be expensive to maintain ($500 every 40k miles for fluid change; several thousands to replace the "lifetime" clutch pack).

Really, a Tesla 3 in a few years (at least in the states) is a very realistic next car for many folks.

Honestly, the best decision is the one you make given your finances, length of planned ownership, and what value the vehicle has in your life.

Not a wagon but a big car non the less E60 M5. V10, 500hp, and under 30k right now. Make sure the transmission is up to snuff and you should be good to go. It is on my short list of cars to own.

Not a wagon but a big car non the less E60 M5. V10, 500hp, and under 30k right now. Make sure the transmission is up to snuff and you should be good to go. It is on my short list of cars to own.

Mine, too. I love that body. Strange, because, when it came out, I was on the anti-Bangle bandwagon. Much like the Tribeca, the design has grown on me, and taught me to be patient and reserve judgement on new automobile designs until after I've looked at it for a couple of years.

That said, the jury's still out on the new Acura faces. :lol:

I don't know if the Mazda 6 still has a wagon version, but Mazda has great quality and reliability. The downside is you'd be giving up all wheel drive.

Good call - but yeah, Mazda does not, to my knowledge, import their 6 wagon here anymore, otherwise I agree it would be a great option; same for pretty much any wagon variant of a sedan that we don't get in North America :(

If you like the LGT, keep it. At 90k miles, the only maintenance that is likely is the water pump and timing belt and possibly your clutch and flywheel within the next 10-20k if it hasn't bee changed already. I don't know what taxes are, but the maintenance on the current car may be less than paying tax on a brand new car or newer used car.

Alternatives: CTS-V Wagon, C63 AMG wagon, Volvo 740DL ;)

TDi VW should last a long time. The DSG gearbox can be expensive to maintain ($500 every 40k miles for fluid change; several thousands to replace the "lifetime" clutch pack).

Really, a Tesla 3 in a few years (at least in the states) is a very realistic next car for many folks.

Honestly, the best decision is the one you make given your finances, length of planned ownership, and what value the vehicle has in your life.

Really good food for thought, thanks. I will probably end up sticking with the Subie. Those RWD Uber-wagons are awesome, but out of my price range and RWD - I need at least FWD if not AWD. Interesting about the upcoming Tesla's - they no doubt seem like the future of driving, for sure.

Best option for your criteria is the LGT wagon you already own. Want to step up in size? Ecoboosted Ford Flex. ;)

Funnily enough, i was researching Ford Flex's last night - they seem awesome. Probably a bit *too* big if I'm honest, but great for what they are. I still might take a look.

:) Well, when is the E60 M5 ever the wrong answer, right? It couldn't be my main car for a few reasons, but I agree they're a soon-to-be classic and would love to own one some day.

Thanks again everyone - this has been really helpful. I think I'll hold on to the LGT for a little while longer.

Cheers,

Dan

LOL this made me chuckle.

OP wanted INEXPENSIVE.

CTS-V wagon's aren't what I'd consider inexpensive and definitely not the E60 M5.

Even if an E60 M5 was acquired inexpensively the maintenance cost on that certainly is not inexpensive.

To the op, keep your LGT.

Good car, won't cost a ton to keep going and insurance is DIRT cheap!

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

I bet I could own and maintain an e60 m5 for the same amount as the LGT. Friend is a long time bmw tech. As long as the transmission is good. Should be normal wear and tear. Considering what I've dumped in the wagon should be ok. I enjoy frivolously spending $ on a car. Gotta have your toys.

I have little doubt, I will own one in the next 1.5-2 years.

Tough call. If my lgt wagon for totaled tomorrow I really don't know what I'd replace it with.

I might go for an Audi All-Road with a warranty. I like the 3 series diesel wagon but I wish it were a 5 series.

Or use the 40k I'll save by not buying one of those and keep maintaining my lgt wagon.

Could've sworn I've seen the Mazda 6 wagon on the road. I'd go with that, TSX wagon, or the VW Jetta TDI.

If I can spend much more, I'd definitely look into the 3-series and Allroad.

I actually just replaced my wagon after having a lot of trouble with it. Now granted my 05 Acura TL is no where near my wagon in an way it still a nice trade. I looked around a lot through the 4 years of me owning my wagon and really there is nothing under 50k that came close to what I had in my legacy. Option to option. It's really sad that it gave me so much trouble because I miss it every day!

There are 2 '08 Saab 9-3 AWD Sportcombis for sale local to me that I've been eyeing. Those are the closest I would get to replacing mine as there are no low mile '07 wagons for sale in the US as far as I can tell. But it would take a major catastrophe for me to let go of the one I have. Paid off, fast enough, and beautifully designed. I'll keep it, thank you.

The new Volvo V60 is sexy as hell. 325 HP in the R design version, AWD...sign me up. If you are well off and lucky, the verrrry limited Polestar version is even more awesome with about 360 HP and bunch of other upgrades, kind of like a V60 Polestar spec B, if you will.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2015-volvo-s60-and-v60-polestar_100448201_l.jpg

2015-volvo-v60-polestar-static-rear-600-001.jpg

Thanks again guys for weighing in.

Read the click here link in my sig, that's what I did.

The car is my DD, about 18,000 miles a year.

Wow, that was quite a project:cool: Not sure if I'm up for that sort of overhaul, but it's impressive and cool to see what's possible.

Tough call. If my lgt wagon for totaled tomorrow I really don't know what I'd replace it with.

I might go for an Audi All-Road with a warranty. I like the 3 series diesel wagon but I wish it were a 5 series.

Or use the 40k I'll save by not buying one of those and keep maintaining my lgt wagon.

Yeah, that does seem like the best solution at this point. I simply don't want to spend $40k on a new Audi/BMW/Volvo - and those really do seem like the only other options.

If I didnt care for AWD, id prob take a gamble with reliability on a new VW Jetta Sportswagan TDI Manual.

Not a bad call, thanks. It actually turns out my buddy may very well be buying one of these in the next few days, so at the very least, I'll be able to see first-hand how he gets on with it, and if it's worth looking into.

Could've sworn I've seen the Mazda 6 wagon on the road. I'd go with that, TSX wagon, or the VW Jetta TDI.

If I can spend much more, I'd definitely look into the 3-series and Allroad.

Yeah, I was actually at a Mazda dealership over the weekend, and they confirmed there is no current 6 wagon available up here - maybe in the States, but i don't think so.

I actually just replaced my wagon after having a lot of trouble with it. Now granted my 05 Acura TL is no where near my wagon in an way it still a nice trade. I looked around a lot through the 4 years of me owning my wagon and really there is nothing under 50k that came close to what I had in my legacy. Option to option. It's really sad that it gave me so much trouble because I miss it every day!

Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your Legacy. Those '05-era TL's really do seem like great cars - great-looking, strong performance, reasonably good reliability. I'd seriously consider one but really do want a hatch/wagon body style. Anyhow I hope your new-to-you '05 brings you many great miles.

There are 2 '08 Saab 9-3 AWD Sportcombis for sale local to me that I've been eyeing. Those are the closest I would get to replacing mine as there are no low mile '07 wagons for sale in the US as far as I can tell. But it would take a major catastrophe for me to let go of the one I have. Paid off, fast enough, and beautifully designed. I'll keep it, thank you.

Ya know, that's what has pretty much convinced me to stay with mine. For the money it's worth, there really is no better car at this point, and I'm not ready to jump up to the >$35k price bracket that the new generation of Fast Wagons would demand.

That said, I really like those Saab Sportcombi's - certainly don't see too many around. Do you know what reliability is like - i.e. any better than Volvos of similar vintage? I might consider a late-model version if the right one popped up (with a manual).

The new Volvo V60 is sexy as hell. 325 HP in the R design version, AWD...sign me up. If you are well off and lucky, the verrrry limited Polestar version is even more awesome with about 360 HP and bunch of other upgrades, kind of like a V60 Polestar spec B, if you will.

Oh hell yes! I agree wholeheartedly - full disclosure: I went out and tested a non-Polestar T6 V60 a few weeks ago, and was blown away - but I quickly realized I wasn't quite ready to drop that kind of money.

^ Got to the same point. Looking for a boosted something 6 cyl, reliabled AWD and wagon.

- no BMW 335 here

- no S4 avant here

... V60 or V70

Depending on budget, there's also the new 3-series Touring. Though pricey, it would have similar, if not even greater, power and performance than our Legacy GT's.

That said, I really like those Saab Sportcombi's - certainly don't see too many around. Do you know what reliability is like - i.e. any better than Volvos of similar vintage? I might consider a late-model version if the right one popped up (with a manual).

To quote Bender from Futurama: You're boned.

Also, reliability is a bit of a concern with them from what I've heard in passing. Probably not as much as a Volvo though.

CPO Volvo. :D 7yrs 100k warranty. Will it cost you the same as new Outback? Yes. Will it provide a warrantied T6 325HP/354TQ engine for fun times? Ohhh yeah. :dm:

Warning: These do not drive like a modded LGT so be prepared to adjust. ;)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

To quote Bender from Futurama: You're boned.

Also, reliability is a bit of a concern with them from what I've heard in passing. Probably not as much as a Volvo though.

Ha, well if there's a question mark with regards to reliability, nice as they are, perhaps not worth the trouble.

CPO Volvo. :D 7yrs 100k warranty. Will it cost you the same as new Outback? Yes. Will it provide a warrantied T6 325HP/354TQ engine for fun times? Ohhh yeah. :dm:

Warning: These do not drive like a modded LGT so be prepared to adjust. ;)

Love the T6 - I drove the non-polestar version along with the new Drive E T5, and actually found the T5 more to my liking, with a better performance/mpg compromise.

CPO is nice in theory, but at that point, given high resale values of late-model Volvo's I would probably sooner just lease a new one, or take my chances and buy non-CPO. CPO'ing is like Vegas; the house always wins.

How about something real different, a Pontiac G8 ?

Awesome car but no wagon.

Might be worth taking a peak at the Acura TSX wagon, strong V6 and FWD. Great reliability and I love the way those J series engines sound. If it came in 6 speed I would have been all over it.

Also if you got some cash lying around the ZDX has more power and SHAWD. Looks pretty cool too with some tints and a nice set of wheels (at least I think so).

Archived