LegacyGT.com

Eastern cats

turbotodd

First, make sure that it is the cat and not a faulty O2 sensor. Next, find out why the cat (if it is indeed the cat) failed. They usually don't fail that early in thier life without a condition such as running too rich, burning oil or coolant etc. You don't want to drop $350 again a year from now. Last, if it is the cat, a $2 resistor is much less expensive, but you didn't hear that from me.

thank you for the great response biz77. I dont have a scanner but my local mechanic scanned it for me and said it was throwing a cat code. I don't know exactly which code it was.

I was thinking like you that it seems early for a bad cat. I was going to replace the o2 sensors and see what happens. If I do change the cat I would install new sensors anyway.

I was also thinking of taking it to the dealer to see what they think it is.

BTW the eastern cats l questioned in my above post will not fit. After contacting eastern they say it will not fit even thou it says it will in the add. I would have to go with the OEM ... too expensive to for me.

Cant say enough good things about my local Autozone. I went in to pick up some oil and mentioned my CEL. They grabbed their scan tool and scanned it for me.

code P0420

BBcatalyst efficiency below threshold - bank 1

BB1 rich A/F ratio

BB2 Ingition malfuction

BB3 faulty catalytic converter

Since price seems to be an issue, send a PM to Jeremy at Fred Beans parts and see if he can get you a decent price on an OEM cat. Universal cats are not something for the timid unless you have good welding and fabrication skills.

price is always an issue but I'm not a cheapskate. My mechanic quoted me $1000.00 to change the cat and that did not include the O2 sensors. 1k for a cat is hard to justify..... there just has to be a better way

I e mailed fred beans to check out the price

Thanks!

Archived