LegacyGT.com

LGT what to look out for?

So if im looking for a used one at the dealer is it just a gamble? I guess you go with a certified pre owned one. If there is a fix and it hasnt been partially clogged ide feel ok about it but hard to check that at the dealer.

Seriously, wheel bearings are an issue although SOA will take care of the rear bearings as long as you have 100,000 miles or less. LCA bushings on the front are shit and you'll replace those at around 75,000 miles. Clogged oil lines and bad turbos are likely if the previous owner beat the crap out of the car and ignored maintenance. The struts were never really firm enough for me and you should replace them as early as you can afford to get enjoyment out of the ride.

just test drive a few of them. Get a good feel of all of them. Pay attention to knocking, and don't be afraid to push the car to the limit, when you're test driving it. Get the one that feels great and sounds normal.

Thats a good idea just not many of them around.

If I test drove a car I would get a compression check before I buy a 4th Gen used. Another problem they have are the ringlands. If the compression is ok, and the turbo sounds fine. Then those are the major issues. Make sure to check the down pipe to see if its stock or not as well. I bough my 4th gen with an aftermarket DP and didn't know it. I would look at some pictures of some of the walkthroughs on here to see what a stock engine bay looks like. If you have trouble finding a pic of one, PM me and I'll send you a pic of my aftermarket one. Even with all of these problems I still love my car. 124k and the only thing I have replaced was the HVAC fan. Everything else was mods. There will be mods.

Touche.

I can not offer help. Fourth gens = fail compared to second gens.

Stick with the second gen and be happy.

...unless you like a car that's quick out of the box and won't blow headgaskets like a cheap date ;)

Archived