LegacyGT.com

MP3 changer box for Legacy 3.0

victor-b

Does anybody know who is the manufacturer of the factory mounted CD-changer on the Subaru Legacy 3.0? The factory CD-changer can't play MP3 - so I think that it will be ok to install an mp-3 changer box in the car. But it have to be made by the same manufacturer for compatibility. Our local dealer couldn't answer me who is the manufacturer - he only told me that he think that could be Kenwood. Does anybody know the correct answer, please? Victor

yes, it can't play MP3. But I don't want to use normal CD's - I want to find the apropriate MP3 changer for it. Another solution could be a FM moduator - but I have heard that the quality of the sound is very bad.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Ah- thanks for clearing that up! I'd hate to not be able to listen to all the CD mixes I've burned over the years. *insert "phew" emoticon here* EDIT: Crap- I read that wrong- looks like I'm not going to be able to play my homemade CD's :evil:

Victor, The Euro spec Legacy's use an old Kenwood cd changer BUS that is [b]not[/b] compatible with any current cd changer from them. The only solution is to fit the FM Modulator as I have on my car. Although the sound isn't perfect, I think it's adequate for the standard fit speakers. Beware that even the Modulator changer isn't an easy fit as the Scoob Kenwood doesn't use an ISO aerial connector, you will have to cut/shut the connection between aerial and mod. Read the thread a bit further down for more info. :)

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well, most of the newer ones are auio CD- not left as MP3 format- but one of my favorites is nothing BUT MP3 d'l'ed from Napster back when they were still a force to be reckoned with.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'll pull it out and check it on the comp tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure that it's MP3's. This was when I had my first CD burner and didn't know how to convert from MP3's.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'll pull it out and check it on the comp tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure that it's MP3's. This was when I had my first CD burner and didn't know how to convert from MP3's.[/quote] Most modern programs automatically convert. Here's a clue, do you have an hour of music, or do you have 12?

[quote name='Goon3r']Victor, ............... Beware that even the Modulator changer isn't an easy fit as the Scoob Kenwood doesn't use an ISO aerial connector, you will have to cut/shut the connection between aerial and mod. Read the thread a bit further down for more info. :)[/quote] Goon3r, thank you for information. Two question: what modulator changer do you recomand me to buy? and second: where could I find more info?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Guys- I haven't had a chance to check the CD's yet- I wonder if I didn't get a high end stereo by mistake or something. It sounds damn good for not having ordered the subwoofer or upgraded speakers.

Guys, I created an MP3 CD last night that plays just fine in my computer. I put it in the car stereo and it pretended like it was playing a regular CD (i.e. the display showed it was playing track one and started counting off seconds) but nothing came out of the speakers. :cry: Any word on the face plate replacement for the USDM market? I'm seriously looking for aftermarket units now. I'm not going to drop $400-500 for the MP3-capable Subaru stereo when I can get a better aftermarket head unit for a lower price.

[quote name='racerdave']Franz, Quick! Take an MP3 CD outside and try it out! :D[/quote] I did, and all I got was silence from the stereo, and it would not recognize different tracks. So, it's official. No MP3 support from the stock Legacy GT head unit. Now.. I gotta figure out how to get my Pioneer one in there. :D

Archived