LegacyGT.com

Is it worth it?

I'm trying to find out if trying to squeeze 250hp out of a stock 2.2l ej22 is easier than swapping it. I have no experience with swapping. Please give some positive feedback/ideas/links anything that will help. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm trying to find out if trying to squeeze 250hp out of a stock 2.2l ej22 is easier than swapping it.

you cannot squeeze 250 hp out of an ej22.

it is not practical,

not economically or mechanically.

start somewhere else if that is what you want.

Plenty of people have done it. There are lots of build threads on rs2.5.com. If I were you I would search a lot and do a ton of research before deciding what direction to go.

You could boost your ej22 and 'safely' run 5 psi with an intercooler but you run the risk of blowing a headgasket. To boost your ej22e using your existing wiring harness you would need a notched crossmember, turbo, full turboback exhaust, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, intercooler (if going top mount you need a hood scoop), etc. Check out blankdeluxe's turbo build thread in this forum.

If you want to do an STi or WRX swap you will need the complete wiring harness from the donor vehicle and merge that with your car's harness which is no small feat.

I mentioned the 22T in my above post because it is a closed deck engine and can handle a ton of boost if you machine the block for forged internals. They are really cool engines but it is not an easy swap if you go the hybrid route.

Boosting a stock 22E can be asking for trouble. I would advise doing it right and saving up a ton of cash as you do all your proper research because these swaps can be very very costly and can blow up in your face if you don't do it correctly. Don't forget that to handle the power levels that you seem to be interested in will require an upgraded transmission, brakes, suspension.

Archived