LegacyGT.com

Upgrading dampers soon... Easier to do sways at the same time?

Max Rebo

Per topic title... I'm swapping out my OEM Bilsteins for some JDM Rev.C's in the near future. I'd also like to upgrade both swaybars at some point.

Are the swaybars one of those things that's easier to do "while I'm in there?" Or are they just as easy if I were to wait a bit? I'm not sure I can afford both at once, so I may have to wait to install the sways on a later date.

TIA.

Sway bars are easy to do.. you could also do them when the car is off the ground during an oil change or something. But, sways help the car a lot, so you might want to do everything together and be blown away. :D Don't graze any curbs due to the sharp turn-in you'll have. :icon_redf

:hide:

^^^

I'm just getting ready for the million people that are going to inquire about buying your stock Bilsteins :lol:

And yeah the sways are a piece of cake. You can install them anytime at all. Not much to mess with to swap them out.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

If I were you I'd do the sways first, I suspect it'll be such an improvement you may reconsider changing out your struts.

I'd say opposite. First choose the dampers/springs than sway bar. My story:

stock suspension = sucks

+ JDM rsb = oh, great, less body roll, neutral handling in!

+ JDM GT Rev. C dampers w/JDM springs = much better damping, but WTF, understeer is back! Need two sway bars!

+ JDM GT dampers out, JDM SpecB dampers and SpecB pinks in - OMG, neutral again, no need for two sway bars!

Needless to say alignment was done after every suspension swap.

I'd say opposite. First choose the dampers/springs than sway bar. My story:

stock suspension = sucks

With respect for your experience here's what I see -

He's on Bilsteins already, switching to another set will only be a nominal change at best. Plan B would be to learn from your results & just install a bad arse set of aftermarket F & R sways since he'd end up wanting them anyway, then reasses if different dampers are needed.

Sway bars should be installed with the car's weight on the wheels.

Torqued down yes (although some did it entirely on jack stands, so I am not really sure how important that is). I still think you need to raise the car to install them :lol:

He's on Bilsteins already, switching to another set will only be a nominal change at best. Plan B would be to learn from your results & just install a bad arse set of aftermarket F & R sways since he'd end up wanting them anyway, then reasses if different dampers are needed.

Some good points here ^

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

From the feedback unclemat has given me, the JDM specB Rev.B/C Bilsteins (I'm buying the Rev.C) are valved more aggressively than the USDM specB Bilsteins. If this is true, then there will be a significant increase in chassis control, especially over undulating surfaces. As it stands now, the USDM Bilsteins cannot handle the specB pink springs. In fact, the USDM Bilsteins are piss-poor as far as Bilsteins go. There is simply too much oscillation from the rear suspension, and to a lesser extent, from the front. It's not absolutely terrible, but it's definitely noticeable.

I could install bigger sways, but the car would remain underdamped. In this case, the sways would be a band-aid for a larger problem. You cannot replace the function of springs/dampers with swaybars. Rather, sways are meant to complement a good spring/damper setup.

Archived