LegacyGT.com

Shuddering

Hey guys, i could use some help. Just bought my first ever Scooby as a family runner, 97 legacy L, 5 speed. it's up there in miles, but overall runs well.

However, the whole car shudders, fairly violently, while starting off in first gear. It doesn't do it while changing gears though.

I've owned a few manuals in my time, so i know how to drive em, but i don't think i've ever had shuddering like that before.

is this a subbie thing, or do i have a clutch getting ready to go?

Check your u-joint for the driveshaft. They can start to bind and cause this issue.

If you pull the driveshaft you should be able to move the u-joints very easy with your hand, if not the u-joint is going bad.

+1 for what Colby said. I have a 97 Legacy 2.5GT that had the same symptoms. I changed the clutch and at the same time looked closely at the input shaft housing. It was grooved/worn so that the throw-out bearing would not engage the clutch pressure plate at a perpendicular 90 degree angle.

the following link from Subaru Legacy International Forum gives more info.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=545

If you are going to do clutch take a close look at the input drive shaft housing on the clutch.

does it do it when its cold? It could be your clutch not lining up right because the input shaft is damaged. checkout pdmusa1.com they have some good info

Yeah, its the worst when i first run it for the day. After it's warmed up and ran for awhile, it's less bad, but still pretty prominent.

i have the same issue i think your having you might want to look into getting new engine and trans mounts that made a big difference for me. i bought the megan racing pack on ebay. It still shudders but now it doesn't feel as bad by far. also shifting under heavy throttle is much better. if your accelerating hard and go to shift gears does it feel more difficult to find the next gear?

Archived