LegacyGT.com

Car traded-in for this Legacy

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was only getting to enjoy the STi's capabilities for about 0.02% of my daily commute (on- and off-ramps). The STi is also not the best winter car - it's high torque makes it harder to keep the wheels from spinning when starting up, so I would typically start in third on snow. (Yes, I had snow tires.) A friend and I did take it from New England to Oshkosh, Wisconsin last summer for the big air show out there. THAT was fun, even toll booths - more opportunities for 0 to 65! Seats very comfortable on a long drive. And finally, I got tired of the cartoon wing and the "punk magnet" factor - people pulling up, revving and wanting to cut me off even though I have no interest in racing and drive conservatively (no speeding tickets / citations of any kind in 25 years of driving). The Legacy GT has most of the performance of the STi, although it feels very different. At first it just feels 'soft', but then you realize how nimble the handling is - an amazing contradiction. The turbo rush is more gradual and the LGT is quieter, so it doesn't feel quite as fast as it really is. It does feel slightly faster the the WRX (had a 2002 WRX sedan for 2 years before the STi). It's very much a driver's car even though it's comfortable. Very nice inside; has most of the fun toys. Although the STi was making me grin for 30 seconds or so on each hour-long commute, the LGT keeps a smile on my face for the whole ride. Hope this helps, kenzo

[quote name='deepershadeofp']Kenzo and Stryker...why are you trading your 04 sti's? Ive been debating between a Legacy GT and the Sti. Im leaning toward the Legacy as it's obviously a more luxury/daily driver car and I already have 2 track cars.[/quote] I love my STi but the legacy has a balance of power and comfort that is what I need. The moment I test drove the Legacy I felt in love with the ride because it offers the best of both worlds. Even I waiting for a 5EAT model because I can choose in what mode I can drive the car.

whoa! those who traded in their STis, how was the trade in value? must've stunk no? Interesting to know ppl switching from an STi to a non-STi Legacy. Hmm.... BTW, saw the gun metal grey (think it's called Crystal Grey Metallic) 05 STi. what a nice colour. why isn't it available for the Leggy?!

the 05 STi's have nice interior upgrades too--I sat in one at one of the dealerships. One thing about the wrx's--everything is just right, you know--everything work's simply and comes easily to hand, visibility is excellent, etc. I have to say that the legacy is a bit less intuitive in that respect, and the dual zone climate control, while I realize they are all the rage, is more of a pain in the neck to use than just a standard no-nonsense one. Ah well.

I agree there scubie02. It takes some time to figure it out (dual zone climate control.) The normal setup is easy to figure out and use, the DZCC takes some time. I haven't figured out how to just use it in manual mode and I haven't got frustrated as to actually dig out the manual. :lol: That is about my only negative design thing (well, other than tires. :lol: ) And my relevant point to this thread... I uptraded from a MY97 Legacy GT Sedan - 5MT - Black (slightly modified), to a MY05 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT - Atlantic Blue but per the day question my lacking for black. :P Sad day to see the old one go, frustrating I'm not done with break-in, happy with all the new gizmos and gadgets, it's almost all too much to handle! *runs around yelling like MaCaulay Culkin*

[quote name='wunderkind']whoa! those who traded in their STis, how was the trade in value? must've stunk no? Interesting to know ppl switching from an STi to a non-STi Legacy. Hmm.... [/quote] I gave a friend of mine the car. We'll make the account transfer this friday in the bank. I had the STi since June last year and I loved it, but again, the legacy offers the best of a STi and a softer ride plus a little of luxury. Maybe I'm getting old but I want a balanced car.

Add me to the list of STI ex-pats for all of the reasons that Kenzo and Stryker list. Even with mild mods to civilize it (tires, AccessPort), the STI was too extreme as a daily driver and I always shut the door knowing that I wasn't worthy of its skills. Furthermore, it was a punk magnet and I couldn't get to the grocery store without an SRT4 buzzing me with attitude. Balance - the Legacy bowled me over with its balance. A friend of mine in ABQ who had an STI and knows how to drive it (raced at Rim of the World this year), also traded his STI for a Legacy GT. He also says the Legacy is more fun day-to-day (of course he has a Group N STI in the garage for racing, but that's another story).

2000 VW Passat GLS Wagon And I gotta be honest, I love my new GT, but the VW still beats it when it comes to the interior. It's the small things I miss: like how I can put the key in the ignition and it doesn't start chiming like crazy (it only chimes once you shut the car off); the seatbelt warning dings once, then the light goes out and it doesn't harass you again; the dome light comes on when the key is pulled out of the ignition, not once the door is opened; etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the new car, and it's world's better than Subaru's of the past. But the German cars (Audi, VW, BMW) really have their act together when it comes to auto interiors.

I had a 2002 WRB WRX, did a lot of work on the car, over 10k dollars worth. It was a very fun car and I loved it, but since I tracked the car reliability was starting to catch up with me. When a wheel bearing went on my trip up to my brothers wedding in the middle of the Pennsylvania turnpipe close to midnight, that was the last straw. I decided to put it back to stock and get something new and fresh. I won't be doing crazy mods to the legacy like I did to the WRX, but I will do a few little things here and there :)

I traded a 2003 F-150 SuperCrew...it was tough b/c I put a TON of money into modifying my truck ('twas a show truck); but the Legacy has more reliable performance, better ride, and my gas mileage has doubled. JB

Archived