LegacyGT.com

exhaust alternatives

rad.rac3r

Never really understood the reasoning behind having a Y pipe in the back, short of silencing even further and for looks; that being the case, anyone know of a company that makes a single pipe from the flange where the Y pipe would be? either 2.5" or 3", dosent matter.

Someone did a single exit exhaust conversion, search around a bit. I remember seeing it. Downside is you need a big fat single exhaust can, which is typically a look that people who want a Legacy do not go for. Also it leaves an empty bumper cutout, unless you're going to replace the bumper or such.

Personally I think it looks a lot better with a good dual exit setup that fits the cutouts well.

someone did a single exit exhaust conversion, search around a bit. I remember seeing it. Downside is you need a big fat single exhaust can, which is typically a look that people who want a legacy do not go for. Also it leaves an empty bumper cutout, unless you're going to replace the bumper or such.

Personally i think it looks a lot better with a good dual exit setup that fits the cutouts well.

+1

Someone did a single exit exhaust conversion, search around a bit. I remember seeing it. Downside is you need a big fat single exhaust can, which is typically a look that people who want a Legacy do not go for. Also it leaves an empty bumper cutout, unless you're going to replace the bumper or such.

Personally I think it looks a lot better with a good dual exit setup that fits the cutouts well.

I agree with you. I did see the setup you were talking about. It was on a black legacy; had a really nice note to it if i remember correctly. Aaand you have a point there i guess. Only issue that i seem to notice with the cutouts is that it seems to be a hit and miss. Some people say that they experience boost spiking with it, some dont. I really do like the convinience though. Id hate to sound like im going flat out all the time like im trying to be noticed, but there are moments where id like to have a nice free flowing exhaust, despite the noise.

What i was thinking of using was something like this: http://shop.quicktimeperformance.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=35 (they make downpipes for wrx/sti with it welded in from the factory aswell) or this company http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm: Welded in line right before the 2nd CAT. I could disable the sensor all together that way i dont have to worry about it opened or closed. Only question is if it would mess around with my AFR?

The cutout I was referring to was the molding in the bumper -- not those/what others were talking about.

Personally I would not do anything like that outside of an EWG setup that far up the exhaust. If you do an EWG with an external dump, you're going to get plenty of sound when you get on it. However, you're not going to be able to turn that off.

If you do a cutout like that, I'd do it much further back, probably right before the mufflers or at the Y. That far back it should have no real impact on anything when you open it.

The cutout I was referring to was the molding in the bumper -- not those/what others were talking about.

Personally I would not do anything like that outside of an EWG setup that far up the exhaust. If you do an EWG with an external dump, you're going to get plenty of sound when you get on it. However, you're not going to be able to turn that off.

If you do a cutout like that, I'd do it much further back, probably right before the mufflers or at the Y. That far back it should have no real impact on anything when you open it.

Duly noted. But that being said, it wouldent really have much of an effect on performance either. Do you think welding on in line right before the resonator would have any negative effects? Its still after the cat and as far down as possible, while still deleting the reso and mufflers.

Pull the mufflers off and fire it up and see how it sounds. If you like it, do a delete there.

If that's not enough, pull the Y pipe off and see if that is more what you're after. The resonator doesn't really do sound muffling so much as removing a certain effect. You probably want to keep the resonator even if you want it to be super loud, just to keep it from being annoying when you drive.

Pull the mufflers off and fire it up and see how it sounds. If you like it, do a delete there.

If that's not enough, pull the Y pipe off and see if that is more what you're after. The resonator doesn't really do sound muffling so much as removing a certain effect. You probably want to keep the resonator even if you want it to be super loud, just to keep it from being annoying when you drive.

Dident really think of it that way, but now that you mention it, your probably right. Resonators dont have anything inside them if im not mistaken. The mufflers on the other hand...

So yea ill probably end up doing that. only issue ill have is that the flange on both mufflers is pretty rusty and the bolts are seized up on there...time for the torch and chisel again...but this time, near the gas tank :x probably not a good idea actually

Isnt there a zerosport single exit exhaust available for purchase?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/zerosports-world-league-catback-exhaust-subaru-legacy-p-47265.html

Thats what I have been lead to believe. :-)

thaaaaats a pretty pricey setup :x id much rather frankenstein that LOL

Archived