LegacyGT.com

Turbo gone at 7,000 miles

Well my practically brand new 2009 LGT decided to destroy it's turbo last week. It almost had 7,000 miles on it so luckily it's under warranty but it's still kinda scary. The Subaru dealership I brought it to is about to tear apart the engine to see if they can rebuild or need to get an entirely new engine. Should I be worried if they decide to go the route of rebuilding it? Or would either option be just as reliable down the road?

first off, good luck

a few end of year 08's and early model year 09's have experienced this. depending of when yours was built it would be one affected by this issue http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/ i did a little research into it when i heard about it recently (having purchased my own 09 in November and my girlfriend having an 09 WRX) and i believe the conclusion is that it is caused by a bad bearing.

Thanks for the advice guys. Haven't heard back from the dealer today so I assume they're still working on the tear-down. They gave me a 2010 Outback to use while the Legacy is being worked on. It's a nice car but I definitely prefer the Legacy.

at least you got that mustang GT to drive..

Ha, I wish! Upstate New York is not a friendly place for Mustangs this time of year. The timing on the Legacy having a major issue really sucks because it's my only car that's drivable right now.

New or rebuilt the engine will be fine. Rebuilding includes a good cleaning to the block and all the pieces. Either way it's still under warrenty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Guest heightsgtltd
The reliability will prob be fine, this issue is perceived or actual value being affected by the new engine or rebuilt engine should you want to sell it sooner than later

I just heard from the Subaru dealer and they just got a whole new long block in and are replacing the entire engine. They said I should have it back tomorrow. I can't wait to drive my LGT again!

Archived