LegacyGT.com

Interior Headliner problem how to fix help

2006Specb122

headliner interior roof coming out falling apart

I did some searching with no results.

Maybe I am the first person to experience this but I just can't believe it.

Yesterday I was backing up and noticed that the headliner was coming off near the rear passenger door. (driver side)

I have some pictures.

1. Do you think my warranty covers interior headliner stuff like this?

2. If anyone has had issues like this what is the best way to fix?

Should I try some sort of adhesive?

The last thing I want to do is ruin the entire headliner so I want to ask around and make sure I know what I'm doing before attempting anything.

I have had passengers in the the rear seats maybe 5 times in 3 years.

SO I have no idea how this happened.

Nobody touches the car except me.

All ideas on how to fix or comments on other similiar situations would be appreciated.

thanks

interior-1.JPG.e83135ff761e5df51d870c429ee1b347.JPG

interior-2.thumb.JPG.27ef2c444a7929b30802b9b4238d2d25.JPG

interior3.thumb.JPG.61cd28239581082a3a69aadf72e5e4b5.JPG

I bought the extended subaru warranty that gives me up to 100k miles of coverage.

I think it shoudl be covered but haven't asked them yet.

Any ideas on what the fix would be?

I'm thinking about trying to fixi t myself and not hassle with the dealer.

I just had a huge thing with them concerning the brakes and I just hate deaing with them now.

If I could find another dealer maybe that would work.

thanks

I test drove a 2005 that had a similar issue near the driver's side. I have a problem with the sunroof surround trim, it seems to swell and then it gaps like that. I had it changed under warranty. It didn't stop the problem. I never leave the sunshade open to try to control the heat gain. The mechanic wrote on the service order, "Tell the customer not to monkey with it." This has since become the new saying around the house, in fact. Any time one of us points out something to the other, the response is, "Don't monkey with it!"

lol

yeah I just don't know what could be changed to fix this.

It's not like a part or peice could be changed.

The headliner just isn't staying put.

I don't feel comfortable going to the dealer after my last experience with them but I have to at least try and get it covered.

I'm already convinced that any warranty is a waste of money and I will never buy one again.

But while I still have this one I might as well try to get something actually covered.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just visited the dealership today.

My worries were confirmed and my decision has been made.

I will NEVER purchase another warranty for ANY car EVER.

Warranties are WORTHLESS and cover NOTHING.

I have paperwork from subaru from the day I bought the car and the title says "Nobody covers you like Subaru"

That is a joke!

I just had the headliner looked at.

They looked it up in the computer.

"Sorry it is not covered under the warranty."

What is covered?

I thought "BUMPER TO BUMPER" meant everything was covered.

more like bumper to BUMMER... and nothing has been covered.

What a joke.

I guess I'll have to flind some upholstrey glue and try to tackle it myself or visit the body shop that just did some awesome paint work and ask for their advice on the headliner. I'm sure they have experience getting those types of cosmetic things back into shape.

I am so disappointed.

I'm very close to purchasing the wife a new vehicle and Subaru is making it very hard for me to go with them again.

IT woudl be an easy decision if they treated me very well.

I bought the most expensive car they offered at the time and this is what I get.

Anyone out there that work at a subaru dealership OPIE?

Can you tell me why the failed workmanship shown in the pics above are not covered?

It is probably a 10 minute fix.

I just can't believe the lack of desire to make me happy.

• 8 months later...

I forgot exactly what I used it has been so long.

10 monthts later... it doesn't look any worse...

it isn't perfect to a close inspector but it is tolerable...

still don't know what started it....

but it was some kind of all purpose glue that listed cloth or upholstery as one of the many things it sticks to.... probably found it at walmart.... put some on there and then taped it to the rubber frame near the window and door for a few hours and let it dry....

seems like it has held up pretty good

Mine has done the exact same thing! Except it's front passenger side (RHD). It's not as bad as yours but I noticed it when detailing the car for the first time when I bought it at 5 years old.

I believe it's due to the roof lining shrinking over time due to hot weather. I Imagine the only way to fix it is to reposition the WHOLE roof lining. This is a huge task in itself and involves removing lots and lots of trim panels (the workshop manual covering this part spans over 10 pages).

This is no guaranteed solution either as you may find then that you have a gap in some other place, or worse you get rattles somewhere. I have not fixed mine yet though.

You can pull back the rubber doorseal which gives you access to the whole edge of the roof lining and the upper and bottom sides. I imagine using some type of clear tape folded over the edge of the roof lining, leaving enough hanging past the edge of the lining so that it can be "tucked" back under the doorseal when you refit it would be a good solution.

Don't have the dealership do it, I did and they scratched the interior, which they did not do anything about. I had to return the car twice because panels were falling off and they had dirty/scratch all the panels they had to remove to install a new liner.

Archived