LegacyGT.com

Bad sound coming from engine HELP

elxkid

I was on my way back from a 300 mile trip when I stopped at the gas station and noticed there was 'jet-engine/vacuum cleaner' sound coming from the engine bay and I got a cel blinking cruise. I had no choice but to keep driving to get home. The car seemed to run fine, no loss of power, but when I stopped it would idle roughly as well. I am optimistically thinking its only a loose CAI connection. I dont think its an uppipe leak. My only other thought would maybe be a loose hose from the intercooler... no matter what I'm going straight to the dealer tomorrow but I would appreciate a diagnosis.
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

Solid CEL is usually emissions related. Ok to drive on for a short time.

Blinking CEL means pull over imediatly your engine is about to explode....or it already has

Yep. And the blinking 'cruise control' light is normal with any CEL. The Legacy automatically deactivates the cruise control system when an error code is detected.

good news BAD news... good news was the engine noise was simply a loose gasket going from the intercooler to the uppipe. Bad news is the rough idle is being caused by fouled up spark plugs because my car is running rich, the most likely culprit being the SPT intake. At this point I want to replace my plugs, put my stock airbox back in and cut my losses. However, the service department at Santa Monica Subaru will not work on my car because it is 'modded'. Making things worse is that Reza is on vacation so I have no one to help me deal with these annoying service reps. Hopefully the situation will be resolved with minimal fuss but for now I am car-less :( If anyone knows a good mechanic in the Santa Monica area, drop me a line.

uppipe to intercooler? or turbo to intercooler?

i suggest you retighten the bolt, unbolt the battery and step on the brakes, and tighten it back on and then change out the intake to a new one like avo or stock, and ten turn the car on.

good news BAD news... good news was the engine noise was simply a loose gasket going from the intercooler to the uppipe. Bad news is the rough idle is being caused by fouled up spark plugs because my car is running rich, the most likely culprit being the SPT intake. At this point I want to replace my plugs, put my stock airbox back in and cut my losses. However, the service department at Santa Monica Subaru will not work on my car because it is 'modded'. Making things worse is that Reza is on vacation so I have no one to help me deal with these annoying service reps. Hopefully the situation will be resolved with minimal fuss but for now I am car-less :( If anyone knows a good mechanic in the Santa Monica area, drop me a line.

SPT intake is a warranty part so tell them to shove it up there ass and fix your car.

Arnold is who you want to talk with I believe.... PM Hanger and he can tell you who to go see.

ughhh...I hate to flame santa monica subaru but they effed up royal. I took my car down to Harman Motive and after combing the engine with Jon and Ian for about twenty minutes we found the problem was nothing more than a loose hose from the intake manifold to the intercooler. Meanwhile, SMS charged me for replacing the MAF sensor which I did NOT give the ok to do... I will never get my car serviced there again (in particular watch out for the service rep Elliott who is incompetence personified) and I'm going to have a nice long talk with Reza when he gets back from his vacations.

Archived