LegacyGT.com

Best headlight bulbs

Kamen

I'm buying a 2008 outback XT tomorrow and it has a driver's side headlight out (as well as a license plate light out). I've read that there are some issues with the headlamps on these vehicles; what bulb should I get? I only had to replace twice headlight bulbs on my 300K-mile Legacy, so I never put much thought in it, but I've read some people replace them every year on the newer Legacies. Would genuine Subaru be best or are there any more durable bulbs? I am not looking to mess up my illumination by using any fancy "blue" aftermarket bulbs, just good-old halogens. What do you guys think works best? And, any tips on replacing the bulb (it seems like the battery has to come out for that)?

Kamen

Bulbs are just plug and play, no need to disconnect battery. OEM bulbs are made by Philips, Sylvania, GE, etc., just get the standard replacement ones from Walmart, Autozone, etc. Be sure not to touch the bulb when installing, and you can use some alcohol wipes to clean it.

The best bulbs you can buy off-the-shelf in the USA are going to be the Sylvania XtraVision's.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thank you, very much. My question about the battery came from talking to a Subaru mechanic, he said you need the clearance to reach the driver's side bulb, but if you say it can be reached without lifting the battery, I'll do it that way.

I also use Sylvania bulbs on my other Subies, so I'll try that, too.

Kamen

According to the manual, they are supposed to be 55W H7. I'd rather stick with stock power levels since the light output may or may not be noticeably higher, but the heat output certainly will. Also, higher light output does not necessarily translate into improved road illumination when you factor the glare (blinding other drivers). I'll check the voltage drop at the socket to make sure they're getting the proper voltage. And also keep them clean.

Kamen

A few things:

1) On my 2008 XT, the high beams are used for DRL. I like DRL - on my older Subies, which don't have DRL, I tend to turn the headlights on manually when it is raining or dim outside. I just wish other drivers would do that!

2) I've known Daniel Stern since the 1990's when he used to post on the NNTP Subaru newsgroups. Being an engineer myself, I have established that he is an authority in the area of automotive lighting that is to be trusted. If he says those bulbs are a suitable replacement for the OEM bulb in my car, than that's what I'm getting.

3) I bought a single Sylvania H7 Standard so I can drive the car until I find the Rallye 65W. About that - what trusted source would you recommend?

Kamen

candlepowerinc, look above, ssbtech linked you. it's DS' store, or at least he's affiliated with it.

Yes, I saw that but they seem to be out of stock. If there aren't any other sources, I guess I could try ordering and see if they'll ship it when it's back in stock.

Thanks!

Kamen

dont be those people. :)

Indeed.

Here's a screengrab of how much DRLs make cars easier to see during the day.

I know a lot of people say "Well I'm smart enough to know when to turn them on" but really, how many people think "Gee, I've just come around a bend, the sun is low on the horizon behind me and I should turn my lights on".

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ssbtech/DRLScreenshot_zps317fbeca.jpg

I've had Osram Rallye bulbs for almost 2 years, they still work fine. Still haven't upgraded my high beams since I rarely need to use them. AFAIK The extra 10W hasn't caused any issues. If it did, I'm sure someone would have posted about it by now.

These are IMO the next best low beam upgrade after the Osram Rallye bulbs.

http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopotphxtp.html

Bought them for my brother's Scion xB, they are noticeably brighter & whiter than stock.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

You did see the sticky up top...right ?

I'm running HIR2 p/n P9012 in the high beams

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

Osram H7 p/n 64217 in the low's

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Indeed.

Here's a screengrab of how much DRLs make cars easier to see during the day.

I know a lot of people say "Well I'm smart enough to know when to turn them on" but really, how many people think "Gee, I've just come around a bend, the sun is low on the horizon behind me and I should turn my lights on".

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ssbtech/DRLScreenshot_zps317fbeca.jpg

Disabling the DRLs to prolong bulb life is way overplayed. If you make sure your lights are switched off and the handbrake is engaged (to keep power off the bulbs) while starting, you will not have the unpleasant short lifetime experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. I'd rather replace my headlights a couple months early than run the risk associated with having no drl's

After much thought, I've decided to re-enable my drls for safety reasons. Besides, the drl/high beams on the 5th gens are super easy to replace.

Archived