LegacyGT.com

Gas Mileage Poll

Vimy101

What's your gas mileage?  

783 members have voted

1. 1. What's your gas mileage?

I have been getting a consistent 25-28 mpg average for the last couple tank fulls and a 26.4 average on the trip that is over 3k miles right now. I'd say about 50/50 highway/city driving in my '05 LGT.

I have measured the actual mpg vs the info computer dash gauge and found that my actual is about 1 mpg lower. I really can't see how people can be reporting such low numbers like 16 or even 20, unless you're doing some crazy stop and go for whole tank.

Sometimes I reset the trip while on a long highway cruise and usually come out in the low 30's.

"This is an adventure."

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been getting a consistent 25-28 mpg average for the last couple tank fulls and a 26.4 average on the trip that is over 3k miles right now. I'd say about 50/50 highway/city driving in my '05 LGT.

I have measured the actual mpg vs the info computer dash gauge and found that my actual is about 1 mpg lower. I really can't see how people can be reporting such low numbers like 16 or even 20, unless you're doing some crazy stop and go for whole tank.

Sometimes I reset the trip while on a long highway cruise and usually come out in the low 30's.

I usually find the same 1mpg difference between the computer and measured reality. Not surprisingly, I have a hard time understanding how many of the folks on this thread are getting such good mileage. As I mentioned above, my driving style will maybe make a 1mpg difference (like 15mpg vs 16mpg), never 3-5. My driving pattern (city, hiway, number of stop-and-goes, etc) will account for the 16mpg to 22mpg swing. This thread (and other mileage threads) seems to have about 75% reporting very decent mileage and 25% reporting crappy mileage (or thereabouts).

I guess the question I have to pose to SOA is the one I mentioned above - take a random sample of 100 LGTs and what will the mileage distribution be like if run on the identical dyno test cycle. I'm sure they'll have a good answer. :lol:

• 3 months later...
ok now with the walmart full syn oil I pulled off 27.5 driving from cleveland ohio to mt laurel new jersey. City miles there was 24.3 since there wasn't a damn thing but fields in mt holly. Va mpg city was like 14-15mpg. boost gauge stayed at or below 10 vac. Are we still in winter gas mix?

• 8 months later...

LRegvall - I also get around 17mpg mixed driving (probably 60% stop-and-go, 40% highway).

Let me know if you figure anything out. Mine is only an 05 w/ 36k miles, so I doubt I need new spark plugs.

Does anyone know if you can use the Tactrix cable to check for a lazy o2 sensor?

• 3 months later...
That's better than I get on my unmodified motor. What did you do to get it to spool up faster?

Either a less restrictive exhaust or in my case an aftermarket wga. The second I got that on my car(w/ tune) and the vacuum lines to stay in one piece, my mpg dropped city and highway by 7-8 mpg from my best days. Best days before the mod were 20 city and 27 turnpike.

• 1 month later...
At only 7000mi now I have gotten a high of 27mpg on a downhill run from Cloudcroft NM to Dallas Tx on summer gas and a low of 21mpg on mixed city/freeway in Dallas on winter gas.

• 5 months later...

I posted my reading for my normal everyday driving, about 19-20mpg, which includes short trips to my route job stops, and takes into account that I deal with a lot of hill/small mountain climbing, where I kinda like to "get on it a little" :rolleyes:.

I did take a longer road trip over the summer where I was able to get to 26. I was glad to see it was possible.

Lehigh Valley Subaru Enthusiasts http://alturl.com/o4org

Because Station Wagon

Averages around 23.5ish, lots-of-traffic highway and lots of slow->fast->slow backroads. This is also with a Yakima rack on the roof all the time (with fairing), and the A/C on almost all of the time.

Oddly enough, I track the computer MPG with my REAL MPG, and the two are frequently close (within 5%, the resolution of the gauge).

I've tracked every fillup since I bought the car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...

I guess I voted a while back bu didn't post. I put down 18 - 19.9mpg. That may not be accurate in the sense that 75-85% of my driving is on the highway. Most of the 15,000 miles I've put on the car are from chasing and long trips. But if just an Average between the modes (20% / 30% / 50%....city, suburb, hwy....the way EPA should rate!)

BUT IT IS WAY BELOW THE RATING

Here is how my data has been breaking down:

24mpg - Maximum achieved on highway over nearly a full tank (325 miles).

22mpg - Average conservative highway driving (and previous max. before last months tweaks)

19mpg - chase mode. This means mostly long distance driving, mostly highway but the pace is quicker and when on tracking a lot of stop and go

17mpg - Hurricane mode & average suburban driving. In hurricane mode, most of the driving is to a target...anywhere from 600 miles to 1800 miles each way. However, during an intercept the vehicle is idling constantly. It is not unusual for me to run the car for 36 to 60 hours straight, only turning the car off during fill-ups.

15mpg - strictly city driving.

12mpg - snow mode, for most storms when roads are decently plowed, but still not clean

9mpg - snowmegaddon! During DC's three major storms in 2009-2010 winter season (Dec, and twice in February) I only managed to get ~9mpg. This was extremely harsh conditions however. This was the average of those storms. Like hurricane mode it does include some idle time.

6mpg - Worst ever observed. This was during the second of the two February back to back storms in DC and when the roads were at their worst. This one fuel cycle however did not include hardly any idle time...it was just the constant and heavy use of the AWD and lots and lots of tire spin (AWD wasn't that great at that point). This was a result from only fill-up (~60 miles)

I have done a lot...and mean a lot to track down while the mileage is sooooo bad. Since folks have observed better mileage in identical models, I am convinced I can find the root of the problem before needed to do an engine rebuild/swap. I'm down to exhaust (from the headers back, including the cat.conv.). This past month I did adjust the rear parking brake, while swapping out my rotors and did find a slight (1mpg) increase. Must have been some friction. I'm still trying to verify if there is any other friction from the brakes. I'm also wondering if better tires (I bought the car with Kumho (I still giggle about that name) Ectasy ASX tires, and they are a bit warn. Going for Mich. HydroEdge next. Also haven't tried without the Yakima bars and bike rails although those have very little affect I'm sure. Also wondering if the rear spoiler on the GT wagon models is a detractor as well. Each of these elements may not be significant until combined.

At 22-24 highway now, I'd be happy with 28mpg as that will increase my range...which is a big, big deal for a chaser...especially in hurricane intercepts. I don't like carrying lots of extra gas (in cans) with me because of the danger, so the better mpg, the less cans I have to carry.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

LMAO D.C. and snow. My 5eat required a full warm up before driving away when I lived in FFX county or I would stall out the 1st traffic light. Tire spin and winter gas mix also screws you on mpg. Luckily I wasnt one of those folks who commute from Bmore to dale city everyday.

21.6 or so everyday driving

26.7 highest on all freeway

like 18ish all city

i live on a hill...that doesnt really help MPG

Live and work in hilly areas. Boost below 5 psi uphill is highly unlikely. downhill is a different story :lol:

• 6 months later...

I'm not voting in the poll because it says OEM computers only, which mine doesn't have.

But I've kept track of almost every fill-up since 6.5 years and 107k miles ago. I haven't separated out city and highway mileage, so I'll just go with what I know was highway: On a trip across the country in 2009 (in the summer), I averaged 32 mpg on the way out, made some aerodynamic mods while there, and averaged 36 mpg on the way back. And this on a 4EAT transmission.