LegacyGT.com

Is $28.3K too much for a new 07 LGT?

Code MOnkey

Hi all, I'm brand new here; I'm thinking of trading up from my 06 WRX to a new 07 Legacy GT.

The dealer found a silver one, it has the auto-dimming mirror/compass, splash guardand all weather floor mats. I looked on Edmunds.com and they say the dealer invoice + destination cost is about $27.3K with those options. When I talked to a salesguy he quoted me $28.3K base price and a $20.5K trade in my my WRX(it's a grey TR with the spoiler and a short throw shifter); does this seem like a good price? If not what should I offer them?

Thanks guys!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you're looking now, but wanted to post this for others who are looking long-term at buying a Subaru.

By joining IMBA (bicycle trail conservancy) http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html you get access to the special Subaru VIP discount program. Catch is you have to be a member of IMBA for 6 months, but for a minimum donation of $25, you can save lots of money and haggling.

I just bought an 07 LGT Wagon through this program. Fantastic!

They do have one weird rule though about not getting a quote until after your special status is approved and you have the approval letter from Subaru.

Reddevil is right. Get the price on the car narrowed first, then bring in the trade.

Reddevil is right. Get the price on the car narrowed first, then bring in the trade.

Hmm... they both already know about my trade; oh well.

When haggling over base price, what’s the best way to do it? My initial thought is to just say “I want you to give me $27K for it” or whatever and be willing to walk out the door, they can always call me later.

I have a Saturday morning appointment at one and one at the other a few hours later, I’ll see what they say.

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Hmm... they both already know about my trade; oh well.

When haggling over base price, what’s the best way to do it? My initial thought is to just say “I want you to give me $27K for it” or whatever and be willing to walk out the door, they can always call me later.

I have a Saturday morning appointment at one and one at the other a few hours later, I’ll see what they say.

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

It would be really helpful if you can get a dealer or two to actually give you a price (without knowing you want to trade-in), then you can use that as leverage when negotiating. Try spamming the dealers around you with email for quotes, they should get back to you pretty quickly.

That is basically what I did when I bought my Spec B, using the lowest quote I got from one dealer and ask others to beat that price. I didn't even care if the Spec B they quoted me has the option list that I want, I was just trying to get a number. Then I negotiated with the dealer with the Spec B that I want (the only Spec B without spoiler in Norcal at that time, the other 2 in CA are in Socal) and got the price I thought was reasonable.

Hope that helps. :)

Have financing in hand, fax or email the sales manager and tell them you will pay $27k. Email as many dealers as you are willing to drive to. One of them should be happy to basically make the small kickback they get from the factory for basically no work at all.

You dont need a special discount program membership to get a good price if you are willing to do even a tiny amount of negotiation.

A "good" price on a new legacy is dealer invoice minus whatever the current incentive is. There is plenty of money in holdback for the dealer to still make a couple bucks.

Depending on the dealer, they can be had for even less than that, and thats without any special programs.

The only thing to keep in mind is the invoice may be different than what you see on the web if the car is in the northeast. (Usually a few hundred higher).

- pink

Like others have said, get a firm price on the new car first before your trade comes into the deal because otherwise they will play that game of giving you a lot for your trade but adding the difference to the price of a the new car. By getting the lowest price of the new car from some competing dealers, you can then see who will give you the most for your trade. Who cares if they know about it? Just explain to them how you want the deal to go. You are in the driver’s seat.

Do you have a Carmax near you? They usually do pretty well in appraising used cars. Plus, they will just buy it outright from you without you buying anything from them. This could give you an independent idea of what your car is worth.

Good luck.

I know you're looking now, but wanted to post this for others who are looking long-term at buying a Subaru.

By joining IMBA (bicycle trail conservancy) http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html you get access to the special Subaru VIP discount program. Catch is you have to be a member of IMBA for 6 months, but for a minimum donation of $25, you can save lots of money and haggling.

I just bought an 07 LGT Wagon through this program. Fantastic!

They do have one weird rule though about not getting a quote until after your special status is approved and you have the approval letter from Subaru.

^+1 :icon_cool

IMBA Rulez!!!

Dealer quoted me 26,954 after rebates today...auto dim mirror, homelink, security, auto, and spoiler. Its a demo w/6K miles on it. Basically taking 1,250 off of Invoice + 750 rebate

This was just a casual converstation. WIth some negotiation I think it would could go lower...

The advantage of trade vs. carmax is the tax savings...so don't forget that. But definately go there to get a written quote. I used it as leverage on the last car I traded.

OK, so here's what you do. Tell the sales guy that if you catch him playing one moore game with you you're going to take your business somewhere else. Then tell him that the price you pay for the LGT has absolutely NOTHING to do with the car you're trading in and you want to know what price he's going to give you.

What he wants to do is see how much wriggle room he has on your trade-in. If your trade-in is worth enough, he can make it look like you're paying less for the car by making it look like you're further upside-down on the WRX than you really are.

The funny thing with these Subaru salesmen is that the only time they mention Subaru's high resale value is when they're trying to sell you a car. They seem to totally forget about it when it comes time to buy your trade-in.

The funny thing with these Subaru salesmen is that the only time they mention Subaru's high resale value is when they're trying to sell you a car. They seem to totally forget about it when it comes time to buy your trade-in.

Damn straight, that 20.5K they quoted me is $500 more than they want for an 04 WRX with 40K miles on it. Plus they said they where 'moving some of my discount onto my trade'.

Unfortunatly there isn't a carmax near me(I'm in the pacific northwest btw.)

Looks like I have to work saturday, so I guess I'm not going to be able to go see either dealer this weekend.

I would say it definetly too high also. I am actively shopping for one and have gotten two price quotes in the low 26k ranges. Thats for 2007 GT Lmt manual sedans. So if your looking at 5EAT then add 1k or so. This is their price and I would still have to pay taxes and licensing on top of that but it varies by state as you know. Good luck

RipxLGT

Damn straight, that 20.5K they quoted me is $500 more than they want for an 04 WRX with 40K miles on it. Plus they said they where 'moving some of my discount onto my trade'.

Unfortunatly there isn't a carmax near me(I'm in the pacific northwest btw.)

Looks like I have to work saturday, so I guess I'm not going to be able to go see either dealer this weekend.

Welcome aboard! :D

Hey, I see you're in the PNW, have you searched through the PNW section on dealers? Would you mind sharing who you're dealing with? I've dealt with Joe Spitz (cars101.com) at Carter in Seattle and Christian at Carr in Portland. Both are good straight forward people. I'd be glad to help you in your search if you like. PM me or just post where you're at and who you're dealing with and we'll go from there. Good luck! :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived