LegacyGT.com

07 LGT bad turbo

I really don't need to be posting about this since it is well documented on this forum what the reasons are for the turbo going bad and what is a suitable upgrade. I guess I need 10 posts before I can post in the wanted/fs :mad: sections so here we go posting away!

Car is an 07 LGT, 144k, 5 speed, was purchased from a member on this forum. Car isn't mine but I will be doing the work on it. Will be sending an oil sample to Blackstone next week to figure out if I can drop in a vf52 or if I need to drop in a new motor.

nice looking LGT.. every once in awhile I see a white one, and wish I got one.. Then I see a dirty one, and I know why I didn't.. lol..

Chances are if the turbo went you need to do at least a turbo and an oil cooler replacement. I know of quite a few that have changed turbo and cooler and still needed engine shortly there after..

Keep checking the oil..

Remove banjo bolt filters when replacing turbo.. or PM one of the vendors that sells them and he'll hook you up

How 'bad' is the turbo? Are we talking the start of whine or a completely obliterated impeller? If it was caught early I wouldn't sweat it the engine replacement risk unless there are other indications of abuse/poor maintenance. I caught mine within 10 miles of the first hint of chirping and no problemo. Just a tough of shaft play and no sign that either turbine or compressor ever touched.

That said, can't beat BNR 16G for an OEM p-n-p solution. $725 and you have a new turbo that is better than stock. OEM is around $1100 from Subaru. You can find used ones in the classifieds here for $400ish. I think there's currently an 18G NIB for $800 if it hasn't sold yet.

It's bad, ton of shaft play and impeller is definitely obliterated. Thinking the 16g might be a good setup but the vf52 that just sold for 500 was almost exactly what I was looking for. I haven't drained the oil yet so i'm not sure if there are metal shavings in there or not.

Obliterated would cause concern. Both on the air side and oil side. You're going to have metal in bad places. The question isn't 'do I have metal' but rather 'has it done damage'? I don't think I'd even bother with Blackstone on the current drain. If the health of the engine can't be determined now (compression, borescope, leak down) then send Blackstone a sample in maybe 1k after repair to see what is currently going on inside the engine.

As others have stated, I'd be pulling banjo filters while at it.

Thanks for the input, I guess I will just be putting on another turbo and see how it goes for a little. Going to take out the filters in the banjo bolts for sure. Also going to clean out the IC pretty good and get a new oil cooler....where is the best place to get one?

the picture of your car is an 08-09 model year.

I meant 08 oops! It's not my car just doing work on it, I'm a volvo guy but will work on anything for beer :lol:.

I'll check out those places for the oil coolers, thanks guys!

• I Donated Too

if you're building/working on this for someone else who owns the car, what's their take on these parts you want to throw on? Wouldn't be my choice of parts for either of those Ebay items... I believe you get what you pay for and the up pipe I used cost more than those two put together. That said... the flex part of the pipe could be trouble, I'd stick with the solid pipe but it's not a quality part.

All that said... you're worrying about up pipes when we don't know if the oil is going to come out all glittery... so?

Archived