LegacyGT.com

Thumping when braking

celticmom2

Welcome to the site.

Could possibly be a caliper hanging-up and releasing. Front or rear? Could be a front lower control arm bushing, or even an end link. Can you always replicate it, at any speed - just using the brakes? How many miles on the car and where are you located?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I think its the rear. I cannot replicate is as it does not do it all of the time. It seems to only be happening when I am slowing down quickly and then does the little jump at the end of braking. This is a new ( new for me, not new) car and so I am still sorting out how it feels. There is 49,000 miles on it and we are in south central PA

Sounds like one of the rear calipers may be hanging up and then releasing. Given the salt roads there in PA, the caliper slider could be corroded a bit and when you hard brake, you force the caliper a little further along the slider than it would if you were just braking more easily. Worth putting it up on jack stands or a lift, then see if you can free-wheel the rear wheels by hand while someone stomps on the brake to gauge whether it's brakes or something else. Short of that, would be worth having it checked out, since it's still under the powertrain warranty and the dealer should be able to assess the issue.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 months later...
Hello! I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy Limited 2.5i and I've noticed that when I am braking, at the end of braking, I hear and feel a "thump". It's only one thump sound. Could you tell you tell me what this might be?

Thanks!

Have you got your problem solved? I have same problem today here in NZ.

Archived