LegacyGT.com

Reverse gear popping out

Hey, have any any of you had problems with the reverse gear popping out under brisk, reverse acceleration? Once it gets to a certain rpm it pops out violently. The first time it happened I thought my tranny puked. I know many of you are thinking that perhaps I should not drive backwards fast but I don't think this is normal. I talked to the dealership and they are unaware of any problems.:eek: thanks

I know many of you are thinking that perhaps I should not drive backwards fast but I don't think this is normal.

Mind reader! Seriously.. it's a bad idea to back up too quickly in reverse.. Pedestrians pop out from no where.. or trash cans.. or worse. Not from personal experiences, but stories my friends have told. It took them one mistake to realize going fast in reverse is a bad idea. :)

How fast do you think you were going? I haven't experienced anything of the kind in 1800 miles, but I'm still getting used to having more car behind me so I'm being careful backing up...

DKB

I've probly never been more than 10mph for more than a sec on reverse with this car, but you do have to make sure it's really in R or it will pop out as soon as you let the clutch out a lil.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Not sure how fast I am going. I was going to have someone watch the speed and tach to see while I back up but the sound is so violent that I'm nervous about doing this again. Oh well, backing up like normal people isn't going to kill me. Thanks for your input fellas.

Interesting, I've had my tranny pop out of first when engaging the clutch a couple times because it wasn't all the way in gear and I didn't realize that that was the case.

• 1 year later...
when my car was new this never happened....but it's been happening the past few months.....if you steadily bring up the rpms you could maybe get to 3000, but if u pin gas it pops violently by like 1500......there is no way this is normal...i just dropped my car off at the dealership for a whole list of things to due under warranty and told them to check that out.

• 1 year later...

Were you filming a movie? When I'm in reverse it is just a slip of the clutch unless I am backing up a long distance(driveway).

Also, there could be something that pops out of nowhere, like a small child.

Did you install a STS?

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• 2 years later...
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am having the same propblem. Thought it was because it was so cold, but not. It does seem to happen more under load, or if I try to feather the clutch too much. Is it just a built in safety feature?

I have switched cars twice since i added to this post... However i would like to add that the last time it happened to me, i had to get out of the way fast in reverse and BOOOM popped out of reverse. I didnt realize how loud it was but a bunch of freinds came running thinking that i hit something...

Iv been reading this thread the last couple of days. I missed a turn in a apartment complex today so I put it in reverse. I then went kinda fast and mine did not pop out of gear.

I personally do not ever have to "go fast" in reverse. If I were you I would take it easy until you could make it into the dealer (if under warranty).

Have you searched any other forums for this same problem?

Archived