LegacyGT.com

New touch screen for 2005 3.0r spec B (LHD, Europe)?

Masan99

Hello everyone,

For several years I am the proud owner of this terrific car (2005 Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec B Wagon, European version LHD).

Frustrated with the mediocre performance of the OEM Nav, I accidentally broke the touch screen by touching it a bit to hard... :redface::redface::redface:

It has now a nice spider web across it and will not react to touch inputs. The hardware buttons still function and the display also seems to work OK (can still see the clock, temp, navi nag screen, etc. but can't use it anymore for navigation as I can't get past the nag screen because my presses on the Agree button are not accepted).

I contacted my dealership to inform about a replacement unit. They checked (first time that question ever came up :rolleyes:) and came back with a price of more then € 1.800 without labour. That seems a bit steep as a better performing after market unit (TomTom) that I was considering anyway will cost me about a tenth of that.

Do you know of cheaper aftermarket screen that are available to replace mine?

I found out through this forum, that although the nav/audio unit is from Kenwood, the screen is not. I do not have the technical skills to dismantle the dashboard to take out the screen myself. So I can't find any type or unit descriptions.

Thanks for your help here!

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

My problem is the same as Masan99, but in my case touch panel is completely missing ... My Legacy is European version MY04 3.0R and i found service manual for my navigation unit (FGZ201ELF2 is the model and 86281AG030 is part number of navy unit).

According to this services manual my touch screen is with kenwood part number S79-0822-05 so my question to all of you is it's possible to replace this touch screen part with that from http://store.kenwoodusa.com/ with part number S79-0858-05, because i can't find anywhere my original part?

Tnx in advance for the answers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to be pulling mine out of my wagon in the next couple of weeks (JDM Outback) if they are the same, we can work something out if you like..

Its currently useless to me as the JDM versions won't work in NZ

@Rescue312, once you unmount navigation unit please check and send me the model to see if I could use his touch screen. If the model is OK, then we can continue communication through private messages to discuss price, delivery, etc. ;)

Archived