LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.6r or Forester XT?

GT Wannabe

Hello. I'm in the market for a new car and was considering either a 3.6r or Forester XT. Yes, I know that one is a mid-size sedan and the other is a small SUV, but I like certain aspects of both. I currently drive a 2007 WRX sedan which I've owned since new. Although I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm ready for a change. Driving a manual car is fun, but I'm going with an automatic for my next ride.

The utility of the Forester is nice, although I don't necessarily need the room. I like the interior layout and it's a stealthily quick vehicle. I like hatchbacks, but Subaru doesn't make a WRX hatch/wagon anymore, so the Forester XT is about as close as you can get right now. Honestly, if Subaru made a WRX hatch with the CVT or (better yet) sold the Levorg here in the States, I'd probably get one.

As for the Legacy, it's a bit conservatively styled, but in a good way IMO. It rides smooth and the extra power of the 3.6 makes it more interesting to drive. The FXT is quicker, but the naturally aspirated 3.6 may be more reliable in the long run. Also, a loaded 3.6r Limited (eyesight, etc.) is about 3K cheaper (sticker-wise) than a similarly equipped XT Touring. Dealers have more Legacies in stock and seem more motivated to move them then the Forester, so I'd likely get a better deal on one.

I've driven both cars, but just wanted to get some opinions from those who may have shopped both of these models.

Thanks!

Honestly,

The Legacy seems more practical for you in this situation. The Legacy is also, so I've heard, a more comfortable ride. The 3.6R will be more reliable in the long run. Also you have way more options and goodies buying a new Legacy. However, I am biased because I really really like how the 3.6R looks and drives. All in all I would go with the Legacy. Either way let us know what you decide and make a post here on the forums.

Hope this helped a little!

Went from a 2010 LGT to a 2016 FXT last year. I chose the FXT because it allowed me to get my aging eyes out of the glare zone. I've never had any reliability issues with any Subie turbo and have taken 2 to 135K miles and 1 to 65K (traded the '07 WRX and bought the LGT because my fat ass didn't work well in the '07s seat (the '02 was much more comfortable).

• 4 months later...

Books/Captain Ned,

If you happen to see this, I just wanted to let you know that I went with the 3.6r. I've had it for nearly four months now. Some impressions:

Of course, it's not as fun to drive as my old '07 WRX, but I knew that going in.

Although it doesn't handle like my old car (which was lowered on H&R springs) it's not bad for a larger, heavier car on a stock suspension that's tuned for ride quality.

The mileage is about the same as my WRX, but at least the 3.6 runs on regular unleaded.

The 3.6 with the stock exhaust is almost too quiet, unless you really step on it. Again, this is likely due years of driving the WRX with an SPT exhaust and hearing that classic Subaru flat four rumble all the time. That said, it's a nice change when you're on the highway and you don't have to turn the radio up much in order to hear it.

The CVT seems to work well. The paddles add a bit of fun to the drive if you choose to use them.

The interior is much nicer than my old car - gotta love those heated seats!

I finally have a sunglasses compartment in the overhead console, even with the Eyesight apparatus up there. Subaru should put a sunglasses compartment in every model. Heck, the older Forester (a couple generations back - SG?) had two of them in the overhead console!

Lastly, all the safety gear - Eyesight, blind-spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, backup camera, etc. - is great to have. Hopefully, the blind spot detection and rear cross-traffic alert will be standard on all models (if it isn't already). Those two features alone have been particularly handy - especially the rear cross-traffic alert.

I think from a value for the dollar standpoint, the Legacy 3.6r is tough to beat. You get a nice, comfortable, reliable (hopefully) car with decent power, useful safety features and all-wheel drive for a good price. I still really like the Forester too, though!

Anyway, thanks for your opinions/input!

I like my LGT and 3.6R. The 3.6 I would like to upgrade the suspension, but ended up moving so no more mountain roads. Just get some good tires and it does handle quite well. Could use a bit more power, but does the job and everyone likes the way it looks. Luckily (I guess) I have the 5EAT and not a CVT.

Archived