LegacyGT.com

turbo retarded.....help

Hey all, So I have preety much everything now parts wise to add a turbo to my n/a 2.2. Have all the intake ducting, intercooler, 2.0 wrx full turbo and exhaust system and crossmember, what are my next steps? can i run on the stock ecu with maf? or ? yeah thats how turbo dumb I am

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Join this club: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992787

You can run the stock ecu with only a fuel pressure regulator or a piggyback. Install a boost gauge. 5 psi is a "safe" boost level. You also need to run a coolant line to the turbo as well as an oil line. Tap the heads for oil or get a set of 22t or 205 heads.

It's been done plenty of times. Search bbslegacycentral and rs25 for details.

Babyluga boosted his second gen wagon and posted a thread in the second gen forum. Good luck!

• 5 months later...
so I have a collection of parts now to start on this. to begin i will be running stock ecu, and max 5psi. is there an actual writeup on doing an early legacy n/a swap? I found lots on newer 2.2s, 2.5 dohc and 2.5 sohc. but nothining specifically on my legacy. here my pile of the big items http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/Messenger_5840512590950967565_13924867131863515_zps9cda988e.jpg

Sell it all and buy a used ej20g motor/trans/ecu for 1400-1800$, theres a jdm supplier in canada selling them on ebay. Your asking for a lot of downtime, grief and labor after that na motor blows. Start with a motor that's meant to be turbocharged, you'll be way happier in the end with reliability.

Sell it all and buy a used ej20g motor/trans/ecu for 1400-1800$, theres a jdm supplier in canada selling them on ebay. Your asking for a lot of downtime, grief and labor after that na motor blows. Start with a motor that's meant to be turbocharged, you'll be way happier in the end with reliability.

I appreciate your input, and I will likely blow it up.:lol:

I have almost nothing into this car, purchased it for $200, I havent spent a thing on any of the turbo swap parts, all I will have to shell out for is a downpipe by the looks of things, and another engine is $150 bucks and a few hours of my own time. :)

At only 5 psi of boost is an intercooler really much benefit? Sure there will be some heat transfer to cool the combustion inlet air, but since it is such a low pressure rise, the temperature rise will be correspondingly low. Save some weight, need for a scooped hood, reduced turbo lag, etc. Might be a slight acoustic penalty.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Yea don't be afraid to throw that boost on there, I ran 8psi on my 2.5rs for 2 years with no issues, and I installed at 130,000 miles. Look for an Apexi SAFC, there are plenty of them and cheap. For these boost pressures you can get away with that SAFC for tuning. You also need to figure out your oil drain and oil supply. Coolant lines are easy too. I don't know on your block cause mine was a lot newer and the 2.5, but there was a factory plug on the top of the block that you can remove and install a flitting for your oil supply. Just go to RS25.com and search, don't post asking about it, but search. All turbo threads are stickied In the technical sections.

Thanks for all the input so far! I have the pumbing all planned out, working on gathering a few more bits and pieces. Having a hard time trying to figure out if I need a different tranny xmember with an auto? they appreat to be the same part number turbo or non turbo for both a 91-94 turbo, and a 03 wrx 2.5 or 2.0. Maybe I'm fine ?

I'll run the intercooler just cause I have it anyways :) . I already have a turbo on it hood too.

and last , It turns out I have a 14411aa630 turbo. Its an sti from the part number, will it still run psi running off wastegate?

You will need to find out what the waste gate pressure is on that sti turbo. Don't assume that it is 6 psi and forget about it. Get an inexpensive manual boost controller on ebay for $30 and set it to 5 psi. This will require a boost gauge. If you don't install one you'll be shooting in the dark.

waiting on a rrfpr and manual boost controller, 2 silicone fittings ans stainless 3" catback to connect to Invidia downpipe. Has a weird seperator plate where it bolts to the turbo. Is this normal?

couple other little questions I can't get definite answers on:

- blowoff valve to be re-routed back to intake tube after maf?

- need a turbo waterpump? or will stock wrx exhaust clear? I know most headers will not. ( just in case I tapped and capped a wrx waterpump)

- is there a good vacuum/boost legend for turbo wastegate, and where to put my manual boost controller? and what size hose should I use?1/8 or 5/32?

- and is my ebay wrx 3" inch stainless downpipe back exhaust going to get me pulled over? ( too loud) should I install a 3" resonator in the i pipe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just waiting to get my jeep suspension finished so I can pull the car off the road to start this... having 6 month old twins really doesnt leave big blocks of time to get things done!

I managed to aquire a 04 wrx complete engine for free, so I pulled it down to a shortblock to store it for now. The engine had 160,000km on it. ran like a champ, serviced at my dealer since new. no oil burning, or loss. BUT......I noticed the crankshaft has just measurable play if you grab it and push it in and out. I'll have to measure it with a dial indicator. Normal?

Yeah my ebay exhaust was loud and raspy. I had an exhaust shop weld a magnaflow and it sounds nice and deep. Nice score on the motor but there should be no crankshaft endplay like a VW. The heads are definetely worth some $$ though.

I was thinking of a resonator , but yeah maybe a welded muffler will be better. My guy says its likely worn into the main bearings because its a 5spd. So a teardown it will be I guess. Heads are pooched, stuck valve

I was thinking of a resonator , but yeah maybe a welded muffler will be better. My guy says its likely worn into the main bearings because its a 5spd. So a teardown it will be I guess. Heads are pooched, stuck valve

Its probably the main thrust bearing. Are you going to use those heads again? Think you'd have to have the ecu to control the avcs. I've heard of plugging the avcs camshaft oil passages. Maperformance.com has decent pricing on prebuilt shortblocks and will probably be cheaper as they mass produce them.

won't be using those heads, I have a set of 02 wrx heads, they are of a japanese motor, I don't know if thats any better or worse, head I'll do a headjob on them anyways check the guides and seats.

• 5 months later...

Archived