LegacyGT.com

Cabin smell going catless DP

XLeezardx

OK guys, I have been on catless UP/DP for about 1 month now. My car has always had that hydrocarbon smell in the cabin with the windows up parked. Last night, I felt dizzy and almost fainted in my car and I think its the fumes going catless. Is this normal to have Cabin smell with all windows and doors closed? My car doesnt seem to have any leaks that i know of. My car still pulls strong and I only get a faint whistle/whine when I gas it starting at 2K Rpms. I have my air set to recirculate most of the time. Could I die from inhaling the fumes?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if you have a leak. I can't smell it at all with the windows up. I drive all the time with my windows down as well and don't have any issues.

when I had a cracked header on my car I did have a problem with fumes. it was nasty.

Whats so funny? Im seriously worried. I know the smell is suposed to be bad with windows down, but I get it with windows up.

You are funny.

You have an exhaust leak and it is dangerous - you don't need the internet to tell you that fact. Get if fixed before you get hurt. Going catless is illegal and generally a bad idea.

Didn't I tell you that you have a leak somewhere between your engine and your front O2 sensor?

It could also also be at your connection between your uppipe and your exhaust manifold.

Get that checked all out... as soon as possible.

Didn't I tell you that you have a leak somewhere between your engine and your front O2 sensor?

It could also also be at your connection between your uppipe and your exhaust manifold.

Get that checked all out... as soon as possible.

Yes, after you told me about the potential leak, i took it to one of the local Nasioc members (also used to be a Legacy GT owner) to check for that leak. He found no leaks. He was also the guy who installed my UP and DP, but he recenlty crashed into a tree and died this past fathers day.

I dont even know how to get to the UP bolts so i guess imma have to try to remove all the pipes and copper gaskets and reinstall everything. Need to learn someday right?

Going catless is illegal and generally a bad idea.

Um, it's only illegal if your state has emissions requirements. My state doesn't, they never check ever. I hear straight pipes all day every day on everything you can think of. And yes, I know the Federal law against a SHOP removing or modifying the cats but...

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 months later...
The leak was from the bottom end of the Up-pipe. The copper gasket that I purchased from crucial had a 1/2 inch hole on the side and created a hole. I guess it just broke a chunk over time. Exaust gas was just leaking badly out of that hole. I bought a OEM gasket and replaced it. No more stink in Cabin.

hmmm... I used all oem gaskets except for the dp/mp connection. I have a perrin CBE connected to a Perrin Catless DP. I definitely have a strong exhaust smell in my ride, just started getting it last night, its been 500 miles since I went stage 2. When you popped your hood were you able to smell the, "smell" or did it happen only in the cabin. I can't smell the exhaust fumes from under the hood. I can really only smell it in the cabin.... or if I step out of my ride after a spirited drive I can smell it...

hmmm... I used all oem gaskets except for the dp/mp connection. I have a perrin CBE connected to a Perrin Catless DP. I definitely have a strong exhaust smell in my ride, just started getting it last night, its been 500 miles since I went stage 2. When you popped your hood were you able to smell the, "smell" or did it happen only in the cabin. I can't smell the exhaust fumes from under the hood. I can really only smell it in the cabin.... or if I step out of my ride after a spirited drive I can smell it...

Next time open your trunk and take a sniff :). Back when I was catless (gutted stock components, Cobb DP w/HFC now!) the catless smell was very bothersome. I traced it to the invisible vent flaps inside both rear sides of the trunk. The exhaust was entering there and migrating into the cabin. Cracking the front windows exacerbated things, apparently creating a vacuum which sucked air from those vent flaps out the window. Cracking the back windows, however, relieved the smell.

My concern was this, if I could smell the exhaust then how much of it was carbon monoxide. I actually rode with the CO monitor from home but it never indicated any present. Still, it makes one wonder.....

Next time open your trunk and take a sniff :). Back when I was catless (gutted stock components, Cobb DP w/HFC now!) the catless smell was very bothersome. I traced it to the invisible vent flaps inside both rear sides of the trunk. The exhaust was entering there and migrating into the cabin. Cracking the front windows exacerbated things, apparently creating a vacuum which sucked air from those vent flaps out the window. Cracking the back windows, however, relieved the smell.

My concern was this, if I could smell the exhaust then how much of it was carbon monoxide. I actually rode with the CO monitor from home but it never indicated any present. Still, it makes one wonder.....

Ok I just got back from lunch, took your advice, I drove with my back windows down and front up, didn't smell a thing while driving or at idle. I checked the trunk smell when I got done but I still have my goalie equipment in there from last night, so its smells nasty in the trunk... can't tell if i can smell exhaust over the pads or not yet.:redface: I'll get back to you on that...

I couldn't smell the exhaust from under the hood, with my nose near the dp>turbo connection after my drive. I did however smell the exhaust coming from under my driver door, I really think its the downpipe>midpipe connection... and perhaps i smell it in the cabin because of your vacuum theory with the front windows down. When your up pipe is leaking of the downpipe to turbo connection you would smell it under the hood right?

I couldn't smell the exhaust from under the hood, with my nose near the dp>turbo connection after my drive. I did however smell the exhaust coming from under my driver door, I really think its the downpipe>midpipe connection... and perhaps i smell it in the cabin because of your vacuum theory with the front windows down. When your up pipe is leaking of the downpipe to turbo connection you would smell it under the hood right?

Few things offer the certainty for leakless connections more than exhausts. With some copper silicone on both sides of your gasket, and heavy torque on the mounting hardware no one's exhaust should ever leak.

For turbo related connections I use copper sprayed stock gaskets and, again heavy torque, forgetting factory specs. When I get to aluminum, however, out comes the torque wrench for sure.

To test your work you can use an old trick, find a piece of small plastic plumbing pipe long enough to reach whatever joint you question, then with the pipe near the suspect interface sniff away :). The same pipe will let you listen similarly to specific areas.

"heavy torque" :lol: Those torque specs exist for a reason the heat expansion will cause the over torqued bolts to break or damage the pipes. Factory torque specs, factory gaskets and no magic spray works. If it doesn't then there is something is wrong and you should figure either figure it out or weld the joint :lol:

Few things offer the certainty for leakless connections more than exhausts. With some copper silicone on both sides of your gasket, and heavy torque on the mounting hardware no one's exhaust should ever leak.

For turbo related connections I use copper sprayed stock gaskets and, again heavy torque, forgetting factory specs. When I get to aluminum, however, out comes the torque wrench for sure.

To test your work you can use an old trick, find a piece of small plastic plumbing pipe long enough to reach whatever joint you question, then with the pipe near the suspect interface sniff away :). The same pipe will let you listen similarly to specific areas.

I used oem gaskets for the all the connections under the hood. Shouldn't have to worry about the spontaneously combusting copper crucial gaskets lol. When I get home tonight I believe I have a hollow hockey stick shaft. I will try the suggested MacGyver Tactics;)

someone ought to sue crucial for selling lemon accessories with their product. I hv a nasty catless smell too.....usinga cruial UP and their gaskets. I am very certain that I have an UP leak in one of those gaskets.

I do hv OEM gaskets now and will address that one of these days.

It's pretty much a certainty that the crucial gaskets will go... its funny though I figured if I was going to have a leak it would be from up pipe, I had the banjo bolt leak, and now an exhaust leak out the downpipe. I should have read more threads about the leaks and smells etc before going stage 2. I would have been much more prepared and went ahead and replaced the gasket between the mp and dp. You live and you learn, modding a car to get it the way you want is more than just the initial install... almost always requires coming back and finishing up the job.;) But when its all said it done, its worth it.

Archived