LegacyGT.com

No Performance Mods for the H-6?

I'm not really inclined to perform a lot of mods on my car, but I was interested to learn if there are any known mods to improve torque on the 2005 H-6.

I did try searching here, but found nothing.

TIA

Kevin

I thought that might be the case.

I'm sure the tuners believe that turbo owners are their biggest market--and rightly so. Not only are turbo engines more easliy massaged for more power, but most people interested in owning a sportier or more powerful car will have chosen the turbo. Good market analysis on their part, I'm sure.

OK, so I'm in the minority. I'm intentionally moving AWAY from a high-powered turbo car on the bleeding edge of technology (Volvo S60 R 6MT, 300 hp./298 lb. ft.). That doesn't mean I wouldn't like a bit of extra torque in my wagon, though. ;)

G'Day, there is nothing really in the pipe as of yet although this engine has been used by Subaru previously, it was used for upper models where ppl wouldnt really see the need to MOD. Now with the 3.0R SpecB onboard, I would say there will be a trickle of smaller mods coming onboard but at the moment there is nothing around. You will certainly see some coming out of Japan before anywhere and the best place to find these sorts of things is AutoSalon and events like this.

Adam.

i have the perrin air filter (perrin gt listing) for my 3.0rrr. it has to be the same airbox as the gt because it fits perfectly.

the perrin endlinks and adjustable swaybars, according to perrin, will fit.

better rims and tires, springs, coilovers, exterior dress-up, front end bracing, different horns and subie jdm stuff all thake months to get.

i even got the hyperrev catalog hoping for something to put on but to no avail.

http://www.hyperrevusa.com/product.php?prod_id=16144

its in japaneese and bulletproof automotive will translate. http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/

you could try nos but, basically your crap out of luck right now.

Indeed, most of the non-power stuff will also relate to the Outback. The drop-in panel air filter works as I thought it would, but I'm not sure where else you can go as of right now to look for power mods. Even though I'm a turbo guy, I think an H6 Legacy is very important to Subaru's success. It needs to happen. That doesn't mean we'll see much for mods if/when it happens though unfortunately. One could only hope.

Back on-topic, so what are the options? Well, let me give you a look at the H6 exhaust to show you what can possibly be done:

http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/LSTIHOST/H6Exhaust.jpghttp://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/LSTIHOST/H6ExhaustB.jpg

Since I'm told the headers on the H6 are supposedly optimized, little can really be done there, that's good though since that is hard to design and custom fab. Behind that, are two primary cats, coming together into a secondary cat with a big resonator aft of that. What would probably be the best solution starting from the tail and going forward would be to take out the resonator or at least adding a straight-through piece. Then I am going to guess the cat at the point where the two banks join is a bottleneck and should be removed in favor of a smooth flowing y-pipe. The last components that should be checked are the front cat units to see how optimized they really are, if they flow well or not.

I'm guessing you could get these few pipes fabbed up at some local shop with mandrel bends for a few hundred. I don't think the pipe diameter will need to be changed, after all, if the headers can only push so much volume through the current exit of the headers, you're not going to be able to push much more beyond that. So just replacing the two front cats with a pair of high-flow units (only way to really have a pair of cats that work effectively, otherwise sticking the cat too far back you'll lose too much heat for a single to be effective) and the piping to be essentially straight-through, you should make most of your gains through that.

As of right now, nobody that I know of does ECU tuning, and normally, you won't get much from N/A engines, but with AVCS and the dual-lobe intake cam profiles, I think there is a bit more that could possibly be had from the new H6 as it has more tunable variables (a good thing.)

Keep those fingers crossed. :)

Hey, NP! I never mind giving good feedback and getting to use Photoshop a little bit. :D Really though, those are essentially the options, but I can't tell anyone what the difference in power would be or where in the rev range it would be either for sure, dynamics are really tried and tested things. Could be 2hp, could be 20hp, just don't know how restrictive the system is and the same goes for torque. I'd encourage someone to try it out though. :) Red beast, you gonna try it out? ;)

one problem with the aftermarket muffler's is the location of the "outpipe". on the 3.0r they turn down at the tail because there isn't any cutout in the bumper like the GT. so get out the hacksaw if you want it to work.

i'm sure you would get some more horsepower but at what cost? $1,500 - $2,000

is it worth it?

i'd wait and see if a tuner shows up to mod the ecu for half that price.

contact jedi for the resonator removal. he took it off his xt 4 banger wagon.

the real mod is the horn replacement!!! :lol:

Actually I'm not really talking at replacing the cans or the rear Y-pipe, just the intermediate pipe in front with the resonator, the front pipe that joins the two manifolds, and the two main front cats.

Do I need to draw another picture? :lol:

• 2 months later...

I think Sube555 is on the right track. I'd personally leave the twin primary cats alone to start and just replace everything between the Y after them and up until the Split for the mufflers.

Another place you're losing some power is that Split for the dual exhaust... converting that to a more straight single exit would also really help.. could even re-route it after the Y from the headers and make it very gradual in direction change for better flow.

If things go well... I'm hoping to pick up an EZ30R to swap into my wife's BE sedan, but it will be kept N/A, but may see a trip to TWE before it gets installed.

I think there is a lot to get from the EZ30R... not only in restrictive parts, but with the tuning of ECU for the AVCS AVLS or what ever it's called :p

Ever since owning (and sadly selling) my SVX... I've aspired to have a potent H6 subaru, but with a manual transmission. Hope to realize this aspiration before the end of 2006, but who knows.

A common theme with mods on the forum is .... remove this Cat that Cat and idealy all the Cats. Am I the only guy who lives is a place that has emission testing? Franklin

It depends on how the emission testing is done. With the proper electronic overrides, a catless car will pass an OBDII test with flying colors. As long as you can get past the visual inspection, you’re home free.

I like to have at least one cat in my cars. Even if it's a highflow. I'll give up the performance a little for better feeling about the environment... Yet I live in a state, where they don't even test the cars at all... so I could run a turn down on my downpipe on my WRX and no one would care.

KOOL!!!! That's some nice equal-length headers! I'm sure they aren't cheap, but likely get the job done well. :)

Another pic from their site.

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/EX/BP/T6-0503-002.jpg

Actually that Legacy body kit overall looks pretty darn nice too.:)

Archived