LegacyGT.com

NanoTech Lubricants Oil Additive Review

http://www.nanotechlubricantsinc.com/Media/transparent.gifThis thread might belong in a different section (maybe the Tech Forums or eventually the Vendor area), but since I drive a 5th gen and tested with it, I wanted to share my feedback on something I'm rather amazed with - so I'll post here. Mods, please feel free to move as needed.

Disclaimer: I'm expecting a fair bit of scepticizm and I've already put on the flame shield so for those who enjoy it or feel otherwises inclined, hate away.

I typically shy away from ANY kind of additive and that's for all types of mechanical fluids (engine, transmission, power steering, diff fluids, coolants, fuel, etc.), but I've come across something that (given my background as a mechanical engineer who has worked with nanotechnology @ Columbia University labs) sparked my interest.

NanoTech Lubricants Oil Additive

(spherical nano-diamonds encapsulated in graphite shells delivered by carrier 'bio-degradable' oil)

http://www.nanotechlubricantsinc.com/Auto_Engine_Oil_Additive.html

A purpose-blended additive and/or lubricant that is mechanical rather than chemical in nature!

Something that does NOT bond to or modify the properties of oil, clog internals, turn free-flowing fluids into slush. Instead it uses the oil (or any fluid its mixed with) only as a delivery agent so that it can be transported to metal surfaces and areas where friction occurs and change the properties of the surfaces subject to friction as well as the type of friction that takes place between them.

The idea is nothing new - has been around for at least 80 years. From Russian tanks and airplane engines to industrial applications.

From graphite additives, buckly balls, to low quality non-spherical detonation nano-diamonds (DNDs) polluted with ash and metal shavings.

But as decades passed, production and extraction of nano-diamonds has been refined. Its reached a stage now where 8 tons of industrial and medical grade material is produced each year. And in the US, labs in and around IL are at the forfront of R&D work on applications.

Here is where NanoTech Lubricants comes in. They are based in IL and blend a number of products using spherical nano-diamonds. From Sportsman Gun Oil, Military Gun Oil, Motorcycle, Automotive, Truck and Industrial engine (say large diesel generators) additives.

I've been in touch with them to come up with a good blend for our boxer engines (blends depend mainly on oil fill volume and to a lesser degree basic engine specs) and before my last oild change (800 miles ago now), received a bottle of their AutoAdditive Plus blended for our application.

Use Directions are simple enough:

1. Drain oil

2. Change oil

3. Run engine until warmed up to operating temp

4. Shut down

5. Add AutoAdditivePlus (5-6 oz - shake well before application)

6. Start up and let it run for a few minutes or even better, take it out for a 20-40-60 mile spin.

The product immedietly starts to line the crankcase and work its way to our cylinder walls, piston heads. Reaches optimum conditions after about 60-100 miles since fill and continues to work for the duration of the oil change plus to a lesser degree, beyond it, even if not refilled (many of the particles will wash out with a subsequent oil change).

Now, seeing this stuff in person (beyond the general scepticism) can generate mixed feelings. Its a coal-black suspension with surprising viscosity and lubrication characteristics that are out of this world! A drop on the tip of your finger will lubricate it like nothing I've seen before, even after wiping or washing it 'off'.

Regardless, given how it looks, adding 5-6 oz. of this to a brand new fill of oil on an otherwise mechanically-sound engine might seem like a leap of faith. And although I believe in the technology, for me it was!

Results?

I let the engine idle for 2-3 minutes and took the car out for an 80 mile trip.

Almost immediately, I noticed smoother and quieter operation, far beyond what you get from a fresh fill of oil. Things only got better over the next 80-120 miles.

I noticed a re-stabilized and lower RPM idle. Most of the typical boxer chatter was gone or greatly subdued.

And while driving, the engine climbed through the RPMs with greater ease, in each gear. Accelerating slowly from a stop or quickly from a rolling start. 5EAT shifts (especially down-shifts) improved as well - probably a side effect caused by lower friction inside the engine since nothing was done to the torque converter or automatic transmission fluid.

There is a 'coasting' effect where both the engine and the car as a whole have far less tendancy to loose velocity, drop in RPMs on their own. Its much easier to cruise on the highway without applying hardly any gas at 50-60-70 mph. Almost as if our AWD cars were 2WD.

As the additive worked its way into the engine surfaces, I also noticed sharper power delivery, probably as a result of improved compression and lower friction between the internals.Fuel consumption has also improved with consistantly higher MPGs per tank, I've picked up 3 MPGs per tank thus far with no changes in driving habbits, mixed city/highway. Since I've only gone through two tanks, I'll monitor this further over the next few weeks.

Nanotech tells me that their nano diamond oil absolutely loves highway driving, plus there are greatest improvements (mpg) in highway driving.

To sum up:

Quieter and stabilized operation, lower idle RPM, lower crusing RPMs, improved throttle response, faster and easier climbing through the RPMs - hence sharper and faster acceleration. Power delivery has improved too. With our engines being known for their internals' chatter that too has been subdued, muted to a greater extent.

MPGs have improved as well. On the first tank of mixed (mostly city) driving, I picked up about 3MPGs. Curious to see what all highway MPGs look like.

I wouldn't be surprised if it helps limit or outright eliminate oil consumption problems some people have posted about too.

Overall, I'm very happy with the product! I'll be back for more for sure come next oil change. And I'd recommend it to anyone willing to try it. 2.5i, LGT, 3.6R and effectively any engine. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.nanotechlubricantsinc.com/Media/transparent.gif

http://www.nanotechlubricantsinc.com/Testimonials.html

Capture1.thumb.JPG.4f2a57037f1c1c6811daf6ff922a6bd8.JPG

Capture2.JPG.5eb1a54c5448fd59bd48627d3d2730aa.JPG

Capture3.JPG.a46d703bbb06b7a21c4374bbf5f55eb5.JPG

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - lots of attention from their marketing department there... I remain skeptical about adding an industrial abrasive to my oil...

not sure what to say about your observations - some things, like idle speed, are computer defined now... a lot of the things are subjective - you'd want to drive a few cars back to back, some with and some without (without knowing which was which) that drove similarly before the addition to assign credence to a subjective butt-dyno type measurement. The placebo effect can be strong - if you are looking for something you think should feel, there's a good chance you will.

I'd want reputable independent test lab results before I'd even consider something like this... seriously, if it does all they claim, why wouldn't one of the major manufacturers have bought them up? Being able to extract better performance from low quality base stock would be something any oil producer would be down with...

Points taken guys. However, do note that the opinion above is just mine. A personal opinion of an end user of a product that I though was worth writing about.

Zero involvement from Nanotech (in fact I doubt they have a marketing department - being "little more" than a group of seasoned chemical and mechanical engineers with a great lab, full manufacturing facility and warehouse all in the US and an extensive R&D record with nano materials).

Personally I'm amazed with what the additive has done to the operating characteristics of my H6 engine. I doubt anyones milage would vary if they tried it. Its' worked even more wonders in my brother's 10 year old Toyota/Yamaha I4.

Nanotech is currently working with the NYPD, a US racecar team and a truck fleet company on volume orders of their additive for all their vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll hear about this technology more and more in the coming years.

Its here and ready for anyone to try (if they choose) from a verified homegrown company.

The idle speed for your engine is determined by the ECU. It will have a target RPM regardless of what type of oil you use. Idle speed should be unaffected by this. Same with cruising RPM, this additive doesn't change your gear ratios.

Just sayin. Continue on.....

I guess a lot has changed in the 8+ years since I stopped being a tuner and designing custom ECUs for ALMS.

I can agree about the gear ratios, but idle and cruising RPMs used to be a very different story.

Regardless, just FYI, this is good stuff right here.

And it works in both factory-new, post-break-in and high milage engines.

• 2 months later...
The ECU will prescribe and hold the idle and cruise trims, but it will also use less fuel to do so if the engine is turning easier (due to reduced friction) at any point during the rev-range, all else equal. Would like to try this in my 2nd Gen LGT to see if how it responds (audibly and performance-wise).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've got a GB going right now:

1st bottle @ $30; 2nd @ $25; 3rd @ $20

Retail cost is $40-45 (H4 or H6 blend).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/group-buy-nanotech-lubricants-mechanical-oil-additive-220310.html

Good job coordinating this. I have three bottles in the mail. The H4 bottle size is smaller then the H6 so it's important to state engine size

I'm skeptical too. Our Tribeca has 185k miles and still runs very well. A little bit of valve tick but no oil consumption and still good mpg. While I'm interested to see if it would do anything for the tick, I'm cautious about messing with a good thing.

I've tried many of the gas additives with varying degrees of success. I've found the Lucas and Techron resulted in higher mpg's and perhaps a little more power most others are simply grand promises that don't deliver.

I'm skeptical too. Our Tribeca has 185k miles and still runs very well. A little bit of valve tick but no oil consumption and still good mpg. While I'm interested to see if it would do anything for the tick, I'm cautious about messing with a good thing.

There a some of us who have high oil consumption and we're hoping something like this might help with that.

I've tried many of the gas additives with varying degrees of success. I've found the Lucas and Techron resulted in higher mpg's and perhaps a little more power most others are simply grand promises that don't deliver.

Lucas Fuel Treatment as well as Techron go into the gas thank, not the crankcase, and do different things so you can't compare the products to NanoTech. A better comparison would be to Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Here's an interesting article I found about oil additives. http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Thx guys. Lukas products are both v good and when free of detergents and solvents.

And yes this is different. Does not modify or stabilize fuel or oil, it changes the friction characteristic of the internals thus lowers engine noise and temperature extremes. Its a perfect aid for cold starts, sealing piston ring against the cylinder walls. Micropolishing all mechanical surfaces.

Thx guys. Lukas products are both v good and when free of detergents and solvents.

And yes this is different. Does not modify or stabilize fuel or oil, it changes the friction characteristic of the internals thus lowers engine noise and temperature extremes. Its a perfect aid for cold starts, sealing piston ring against the cylinder walls. Micropolishing all mechanical surfaces.

"micropolishing" sounds marketing-y. What happens once everything is already "micropolished" and it keeps on keeping on with the "polishing"?

I'm very, very skeptical of explanations that involve "and then science happens".

What's the ELI5 version of how this manages to avoid eating away the everything for as long as it's in there, assuming it's capable of "polishing" in the first place?

We can go to Michael @ Nanotech for the details on 'and then, science happens'.

Word. I think that should be the up front A+++ #1 super special extra crispy most important thing to make obvious and available to folks evaluating the product.

What does it do, when/how does it stop?

Only additive I've seen or experienced results with is Marvs Mystery Oil, and Lucas oil additives. Seafoam treatments are in a different category i think. Curious as to what Blackstone comes back to say in comparison to your other intervals

Only additive I've seen or experienced results with is Marvs Mystery Oil, and Lucas oil additives. Seafoam treatments are in a different category i think. Curious as to what Blackstone comes back to say in comparison to your other intervals

At my old job our fleet mechanic absolutely swore by Marvel's.

Archived