LegacyGT.com

Double Din mounting options

idontknow

I'm upgrading to a Kenwood DDX-812 and had planned on buying the double din adapter for the upper center console from rallitek. But, it's on back order until Aug 1st. So, after some searching on Japanparts.com I found this:

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=2475

Which looks like the exact same pic from the Rallitek site minus the hirogliphics (spelling?). It's part # 107-203-002 for a Subaru Legacy BP/BL <Liberty> 2006/2007 from Japan. Will this fit my 06' LGT? I haven't a clue when it comes to translating our USDM models to the JDM ones.

Also, what's the story with this part:

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=11151

The color looks all wrong. Too dark. Is this the JDM bezel being adapted for USDM by one of the members (I can't remember who's working on the project)? I haven't seen any updates posted in that thread for a while. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Forget about the bottom one. Why? There's plenty of discussion in the interior/audio forum.

The top one doesn't fit squarely into our left hand drive cars because the piece is asymmetrical and intended for RHD cars. Someone posted a pic of it installed in a US car and were satisfied with it. I wouldn't want it in my dash. I had my shop custom make brackets and modify the OEM cubby to install my Kenwood.

ignore him, he'll go away.

fweasel - Thanks for the idea and the info. I asked the shop doing the install and said they didn't have any experience in fiberglassing and painting dash pieces. I don't either, so I'm out of luck I guess. How did you modify your center console bezel?

BTW, Have you added amps and aftermarket speakers to your kenwood yet?

Anyone have any experience with the part from Rallitek?

fweasel - Thanks for the idea and the info. I asked the shop doing the install and said they didn't have any experience in fiberglassing and painting dash pieces. I don't either, so I'm out of luck I guess. How did you modify your center console bezel?

BTW, Have you added amps and aftermarket speakers to your kenwood yet?

Anyone have any experience with the part from Rallitek?

You need a new shop, seriously. Custom work on dash pieces should be a staple of any reputable install shop, IMO.

Yes, I've got amps, eq's, a cap, speakers, a sub... all installed in the trunk. I never use the amps built into headunits as I'm primarily after sound quality with my installs.

A friend of mine works there, and he beat the best price I found elsewhere by about $400.

I think I'm gonna wait for the part from Rallitek and see how well/poor it fits. They seem very concerned about customer satisfaction. If it doesn't fit very well, I may start calling around to other shops about modifying the console piece.

You didn't mention what you did to your center console piece.

So fweasel... what does your stock radio do now? Is it functional, or is it just sitting there dead? I've always thought it would be cool to add an aftermarket radio, but somehow connect the stock radio via in AUX in and use it at least as a 6 disc changer. Is this possible?

So fweasel... what does your stock radio do now? Is it functional, or is it just sitting there dead? I've always thought it would be cool to add an aftermarket radio, but somehow connect the stock radio via in AUX in and use it at least as a 6 disc changer. Is this possible?
It just sits there and sulks. There's a CD player in my DD headunit, I have no use for a cheap $20 changer with crap outputs. TO answer your second question. Yes, anything is possible with the proper skills and financial backing.

I was going to use the stock head unit as a 6 disc changer, but I decided against it. All you need is a line out converter to feed a set of the stock head unit speaker outputs to the aux in on the aftermarket head unit. LOC's are pretty in-expensive, but you have to make sure you don't turn up the volume on the stock head unit when you've got the aftermarket head unit at a high volume.

This sounded risky to me, because my electronically challenged wife drives the car every now and then. And, I'm sure one day I would start up the car and the aftermarket head unit would be fried.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. Just stick to the head unit CD. Besides, with USB ports and hard drives in aftermarket head units, who needs a CD changer?

Yeah I hear ya'. Almost three years now and my wife still can't turn on the tv and home theater system! I seems like there would be a way to make the volume knob not turn. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the misses smoking the after market hu. When I get mine I'll have to look at the radio. For now I'm just planning on going the cleansweep route, that way I can add my iPod as well.

Archived