LegacyGT.com

Functional Modification

How's it going everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum and I've been poking around a good amount. I live in Jersey and drive a lot around the area. As many of you probably know the road are like driving in a video game around here. That being said I want to look into throwing a full turbo system on my 09 Legacy. Let me know your thoughts and ideas on where i should go about looking for that and who might be able to help me out as a mechanic. Thanks everyone! Legacy love

09 base modle pze. the overall goal would be to have just around the base GT specs of 243hp and 241 lb-ft of torque. eventually i want to drop it a bit too. but functional and durable is really what im going after. I need the car for a few more years but I want to see more power from it

Welcome to the forum. The bad news is you have the wrong car. It's not prectical to turbo a 2.5i.

It's been beat to death on this forum.

If you want a turbo Legacy, buy a GT.

It really it that simple.

These cars are not as easy to turbo as a Honda Civic is.

Sorry.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

See post #85 for a much more practical idea for your 2.5i

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p6.html

The thread in the post gives pretty detailed information as to how and what exactly was done and is by far your best bet on your N/A engine for more power rather than trying to convert it over to a turbo setup.

Sell it and buy a legacy gt. Best way to do it. Buying the base model and adding a turbo setup to it is just silly when it already exists turbo'd from the factory.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

This comes up once a month or so. We have to encourage at least one newbie to do this.

All this good advice is getting old.

I like this idea personally, say time and cost wasnt an issue, how would one go about it. and again like i said the roads havent been kind so ive also been looking to drop it down a bit but also be functional and not just kill me in tires on tires. best suggestions for a durable ("functional") drop and fairly mid range on expense?

I like this idea personally, say time and cost wasnt an issue, how would one go about it. and again like i said the roads havent been kind so ive also been looking to drop it down a bit but also be functional and not just kill me in tires on tires. best suggestions for a durable ("functional") drop and fairly mid range on expense?

So, if I read that correctly, you say that the roads are shitty, and you want to lower your car?

The only time lower equates to functional is on a racecar that drives solely on a racetrack. Being lowered or stanced on a streetcar is purely for looks and serves no real functionality, and is in fact, a hindrance that is of only aesthetic benefit.

You clearly don't yet know what you want from your suspension, other than that you want to be lower. I can only assume at this point, that you don't care, you just want be lower.

I suggest you cut your springs. This will meet your obvious requirement of being lower while exceeding your "mid-range" budget requirements. Very cheap!

Coilovers are srs bsns. The cheap ones are cheap, and the expensive ones (usually) kick ass. You get adjustability and stiffness with "on-the-fly" controls. You can find "mid-range" coilovers, but, those are truly the one suspension mod that you get what you pay for.

You seem to want lower with uprated handling. You see mostly city driving with a mix of freeways and backroads with a top speed of less than 100mph. Realistically, you won't need coilovers. (But they are cool to have!) However, I think you'd be best with a good set of struts and springs, then focus on stiffening your chassis and controlling your body roll. Look into some Cobb springs, or maybe even some Eibachs or H&Rs paired with some KYB AGXs or even Koni inserts.

Ride on a stiffer strut-spring combination and see how it suits your driving habits. Most find that it's quite satisfactory for daily driving. If, after a year or so, you decide that you want to be stiffer and you've got the ducats -- by all means, upgrade to the coilovers! However, most who have them on their daily drivers are underutilized, save for the occasional track day/weekend.

And "time and cost wasn't [FTFY] an issue" -- I think statements like this are why people make fun of people from Jersey. Does it seem to rain money there, but the good sense is filtered from your drinking water?

LGTs are expensive and high-maintenance as it is, especially once you start building and modding far beyond stock. What you're asking to do is basically take an LGT donor car and yank the engine, wiring harness, ECU, and a whole host of other parts and then implant them into your non-turbo.

Just how cherry/mint/creampuff/sweet is your current car that you think making it turbo would be worth all the time, trouble, and extra expense over selling it and buying an actual Legacy GT?

Another question, knowing it may be expensive but would buying an LGT engine and swapping it out be a better route than trying to work with the engine as i have it now? Not sure how it would work with the current trans and everything else. Thoughts everyone?

Short answer, no, no it won't be a better route. Subaru has done all the work for you, except convince you of what car you initially buy. That's where we come in. :) Even if you save $50 dollars in the long run converting your current car, I 100% guarantee you it won't run as properly as the GT that Subaru has already built. You are giving yourself needless headaches by going that route, to gain nothing over trading in your current car to get the one you want. We're not suggesting trade and get a GT because it's a shortcut, it's because that's the right way of doing it.

If you're just looking for a challenge to use up your non-issue time and cost budget, might I suggest a Legacy with an turbo H6? At least come up with something that the factory didn't already build and sell relatively large numbers of. That way when you're done, you won't hear, "Yeah...my factory GT has been doing the same thing without issue for ten years now." It'll sound more like, "Good job on the time and effort to build something unique."

Archived