LegacyGT.com

NEED HELP FOR EMISSIONS! Stock tires?

laxmangreatness

Hey guys so I was recently turned away from emissions becasue my tires are "too thin" I have max performance summer tires and they say that when the vehicle sways the rims will hit the restraints on the rollers and damage them. My current tire size is a 225/40/18 on my 2006 Legacy Gt. I was wondering if anyone has a set of stock tires (215/45/17) or any other tires that are 45s that will fit the legacy. I only need them for testing and will return them right after. I am located in Denver, CO so please respond if you near hear and can help a fellow member out! Thanks!

It seems as though you went to one in denver like the one at evans and federal. SKIP THESE PLACES. They are horrible. Some of the denver ones do help if you are missing cats. But its far and few between. I work for a dealership and sometimes the denver ones give our cars issues.

Go to the emmissions place on Colorado Blvd and County line.. They wont ask any questions. My legacy also has 225/40/18's. No issues. The guys are cool over there.

I understand why they dont want to test lo profile tires. But many cars these days are coming with tires that have even a lower profile than ours. GOOD LUCK!

It doesn't make sense why they don't test them. How can they say that the low profile is the reason. Are they trying to say Ferrari and exotic owners change wheels and tires just for an emissions test, when the car is stock? Definitely some BS.

Well after I was turned away from the different locations I called to try to gather more information. What they told me is to test Ferraris or other cars with low profile tires as their "stock size" they do a 2 stage idle test for emissions. Because my tires are after market they said that I have to have the stock to test. I was then told that in most cases the test will not damage the rim, but in cases in which it does damage the rim they are fully liable and must replace it. Due to this all locations have been strongly suggested to turn anyone away with tires 40's or lower. They did not provide me with any actual documentation. I'm just glad that I was finally told to try County Line.

My co workers 04 WRX was turned away from the Arvada location twice over the life of his car due to this. One time in band camp we ended up swapping wheels for the day so he could get tested. They did not want to risk damage to his wheels according to them.

I've had a lot of issues with the Arvada location. They failed me because on a totally stock '05 LGT because they couldn't "visually" inspect the uppipe to see if the cat was in there. I was furious.

Drove to Golden and went right through without any issues. Had to pay another $25 but it was well worth it to avoid all the BS they want you to go through to pass a visual inspection.

Archived