LegacyGT.com

Torn between coilovers and springs/struts

grmorrow04

This is going to be long, so consider yourself forewarned...

So I'm getting ready to replace the suspension on the LGT... and I'm now finding myself torn on what to do with the struts and springs.

Originally I had planned on Ion's with Koni inserts; I bought the Ion's last summer and they've been sitting around. The adjustable dampening is important to me because of a few factors.

1.) I prefer the responsiveness of a stiffer dampener setting.

2.) On long road trips (I drive to MI from NC in the winter usually), I'd like to be able to tone the dampening down some.

3.) Girlfriend approved... not that it really matters because it's my car, but you guys know what I mean.

Now that coilovers have come down in price to be comparable to a high-end strut/spring combo, and there are more options to choose from, I'm somewhat torn.

From what I've read on here, there seem to be a few brands that people prefer. Enduratech, BC Racing BR's, and ISC. Those all fit into my price range, and fit my needs. The car isn't really a daily driver at this time (bought a 93 Legacy for back and forth to work to keep the miles off the LGT), but it could be; and it will be used for Autox in the future. I plan on going with the Rota G-Force, 18, either 8.5 or 9" wide (I really like how the wheel looks in 9" width!)

I've read the precautions about caring for coilovers (WD40, frequent cleaning, etc), so I'm not too concerned about that, but does anyone have any other tips to keep them from corroding?

Any advice on which coilover (Enduratech, ISC, BC Racing BR's) is a more streetable setup that will work with an autox or 4 tossed in, or suggestions on what spring rates to go with?

You have to weigh the pros and cons. Strut and spring is much simpler. Assemble, install and go where coilovers need to be adjusted at least once or twice. But, coilovers are a matched set which is pretty big, IMO. You never know if x spring will jive with y strut. Plus you'll want new tophats with that. Coilover's give you adjustability but the ride can suffer somewhat on cheaper setups. Coilovers can be bought and rebuilt for far less than a new set. It's the same argument I'll be mulling over for the longest time myself.:lol:I think when/if the time comes for my car, I'll be looking at ISC. I don't need the nearly handcrafted RCE KW's (although I'd like to think I do:lol:).

IMO, new struts and springs is the way to go.Coilovers are a pain in the ass maintenance wise and you're always looking for just the "right" setting.

There are many spring/strut combos that have been discussed here in depth that I'm sure would fit your needs.Search my friend.

FWIW,I'm running STi pinks with HD Bilsteins on my wagon and I'm very happy with the setup.

It's a great combo for getting grocerys,Home Depot runs,the dogs,long vacation drives etc etc and is also quite at home on the gravel/asphalt/dirt twistys that I frequent for fun.

It is also "wifey and family approved".;)

personally don't know what to believe on coilover maintenance, but it scared me enough to stay away from them....went with cobb springs and kept oem struts on my 08 spec b, and love the drop, ride, and handling..don't think i could have dialed in coilovers any better

IMO, one of the main advantages of coilovers is the matched springs to struts (like Bolskey85 said). I've had shocks and springs on another car in the past and the coilovers are night and day better.

I've run Tein Flex for a number of years on the LGT without any maintenance and they've worked just fine. Sure you may need to rebuild them eventually, but shocks and springs don't last forever either.

Right now after doing some searching/reviewing, I'm leaning towards the ISC's. A few reasons, but mainly they are cheaper to rebuild over BC coilovers.

I'm trying to dig up the rear camber specs though for a few different setups:

1.) ISC's with stock plate

2.) ISC's with stock plate and adjustable rear lateral links

3.) ISC's with optional rear camber plate

4.) ISC's with optional rear camber plate and adjustable rear lateral links

I don't do any maintenance to my coil-overs, what is going to happen?

(3+ years on KW2s)

:confused:

+1. I've got 3 years on my KW's too, and couldn't be happier. I think I adjusted the ride height twice and damping once in the first couple weeks I had them, and haven't touched them since - nearly 40k miles on them now. They replaced an iON Spring + stock strut setup that left me wanting.

So I vote Coilovers, as long as you get good quality ones (KW/RCE or PSS). :cool:

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

there is no camber plate for the rear. we have multi link in the back, so the strut position does not alter camber. you will need the rear lateral links to do camber adjustments in the rear.

I realized this after I looked at some pictures; I forgot about that on the rear. I wonder why vendors are toting this as a feasible upgrade then... hmm... :spin:

In that case, what's the point of having both of the adjustable links/control arms/whatever in the back?

I have ISC's now, and after about 500 miles on them, I am having 2nd thoughts. Its harsh to live with on day to day, and noise it makes.

Stay with Struts/Springs but dont cheap out on coil overs, unless its for looks only. Personally, I am torn between going to RCE/KW's or Bilstein HD and STI pinks.

NY roads plus coil overs are brutal, not just on me, but the car.

Archived