LegacyGT.com

H Tech + KYB GR-2

Dominyc123

Hello,

I am working with a tight budget here therefore please don't talk about Bilstein because you will make me cry :). Initially I just wanted to replace the springs to drop the car without dramatically changing the softness. I was thinking of changing the springs and leaving the stock struts which have ~80k on them.

Now I am thinking I should at least get the stock ones replaced. Would KYB GT-2 work with H tech springs. Would this be better than leaving the original ones with the springs. What is the lifespan on KYB, will they last at least half of OEM?

Upgrading the struts along with stiffer springs is a good idea, especially since your stockers have a lot of miles on them. I would be surprised if H.techs would damage a set of KYB's within 60 days. Tirerack might just be erring on the side of caution. What price did you find a set of KYB's for?

KYB GR-2s are low-pressure gas struts that I would consider to be roughly analogous to the underdamped KYB USDM LGT struts. Several people here have had good luck w/ Eibachs on stock KYBs, so you might try pairing up the GR-2s w/ Eibachs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had eibachs and GR2s on my 98 legacy and they worked well together. The GR2s were noticably stiffer than the stock dampers. I have read numerous threads on here however of people just replacing the springs (moderate drop like eibachs) and running with the stock dampers and they were more than happy. I think there is a sticky . . . yea here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111909

Archived