LegacyGT.com

Turbo build Ej22T OBD2

So I have been talking to Brian over at Iwire. Was going over a couple options with him. But I am now here to find out what my best options would be .

The car is a 95 Legacy L. Looking to build a turbo motor for it. Ej22T 2.35 stroked short block with Phase 1 EJ25D heads and an Ej25D Intake manifold.

However I am wanting to run a WRX ECU for future proofing and tune-ability. I don't think wiring a WRX ECU into a 95 Legacy harness will work for turboing due to the IACV and other sensors.

Or go with a Greddy Emanage and wire into the 95 Legacy ECU and tap into the 25D sensors.

Pretty much I am here asking what would you guys suggest as far as the right combo to make this work with the least amount of issues.

You're OBI, right? First, you'll want to pull a harness from an OBII Legacy. Then you would want a non-AVCS WRX ECU and harness. Something from a USDM 2002 to 2005 2.0 WRX.

Your build is exactly what I was planning back when I was on the verge of buying a friends '94 SS.

Emanage imo would be your best bet. People often run into issues when putting together hybrids and trying to wire/tune them with parts and pieces from basically 3 different cars. I am pretty sure iwire can make you a solid harness for the eManage ECU. GL

So I have been talking to Brian over at Iwire. Was going over a couple options with him. But I am now here to find out what my best options would be .

The car is a 95 Legacy L. Looking to build a turbo motor for it. Ej22T 2.35 stroked short block with Phase 1 EJ25D heads and an Ej25D Intake manifold.

However I am wanting to run a WRX ECU for future proofing and tune-ability. I don't think wiring a WRX ECU into a 95 Legacy harness will work for turboing due to the IACV and other sensors.

Or go with a Greddy Emanage and wire into the 95 Legacy ECU and tap into the 25D sensors.

Pretty much I am here asking what would you guys suggest as far as the right combo to make this work with the least amount of issues.

A few things to address:

EJ22T & EJ25D have the same exact cam/crank triggers, so all you'd have to do is slap 25D heads on a 22T & run a piggyback to the stock 25D ECU. Even the stock 22T ECU will run that combination.

Now if you're wanting to do the WRX (EJ205) wiring into the 25D heads, you're better off using 205 wiring, intake manifold, sensors, crank gear, & heads on the 22T block. That will make the process MUCH easier & faster.

Don't forget the small stuff like the 205 black coolant pipe & dipstick.

Coolant crossover pipe, AC compressor, and timing belt tensioner bracket is also different. I have two crossover pipes, let me know if you need one.

I asked about using phase 1 25D heads on NASIOC and got this response:

"you can not use the D heads with the newer ecu because:

the cam pickups are much different

the cam journal size for the gears are much smaller, and the gears will not bolt on

You can use them if you take a 205 cam gear, have it welded shut, and machined for the proper size onto the D cams, but unless you know someone, it will be quite expensive. You then use a 205 crank gear.

Then you get to play changing the intake manifold flange or modifying the D intake to work with the 205 electronics, which will be terrible."

However, I was talking to another dude and he successfully used D25 heads off an 06 wrx and made a lot of power. This involved plugging the AVCS cams and modifying the sensor bracket, but doable.

For my simple 22t build I am using STi rods, Wiseco .020 os pistons, deshrouded 205 heads, 02 intake mani, 02 ecu w/harness merge. Lots of ways to do it though. I have yet to decide upon a turbo or tranny.

Looks like we are going to just do a 22T 2.35 Stroker with everything else 02 WRX. Heads,Intake Manifold, ECU, Harness, TGVS. The goods. And have Iwire merge it.

Should be fun.

Going with the 02 WRX everything else except short block.

I am doing exactly what you are, a bugeye swap with ej22t short block. It is a easiest and most reliable 22t swap you can do imo.

It IS possibly the best DOHC EJ22 hybrid aside from a potential 207/22T hybrid. Everything else is counting the cards & hoping for the best.

Archived