LegacyGT.com

strut replacement question

I've been reading and have a good idea on how to switch out my front struts, the only thing I'm not completely clear on is removing the break hose. Hopefully I'm wrong but from what I read out of the Haynes is that I will be disconnecting the hose in the area that is connected to the strut. Does this sound right and if so is it tricky?

Also does anybody have any experience getting cheap struts off eBay?

• I Donated
The brake hose goes through a bracket on the strut. You need to disconnect the brake line from the caliper to be able to get the brake line off the strut. It will require you bleed your brakes after you're done with the project though. Its just a 12mm bolt into the brake caliper, and then a metal u shaped clip that clips the brake line in place on the strut.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

the baracket is square, with a hole in it and the brake line goes through the hole and a clip secures it.

if you CAREFULLY cut out one side of the bracket with a hacksaw the same width as the hole inside of it you can slide the hose out of the bracket. cutting out one side of the bracket causes it to become ''U'' shaped with the bottom of the U attached to the strut. cutting the hole the right width is tricky. to narrow and the hose will not slip out. too wide and the clip will not secure the hose. but worst case you just buy some zip ties.

you can do the same thing to install on the new struts, or use zip ties to hold it in place.

the bracket is square, with a hole in it and the brake line goes through the hole and a clip secures it.

if you CAREFULLY cut out one side of the bracket with a hacksaw the same width as the hole inside of it you can slide the hose out of the bracket. cutting out one side of the bracket causes it to become ''U'' shaped with the bottom of the U attached to the strut. cutting the hole the right width is tricky. too narrow and the hose will not slip out. too wide and the clip will not secure the hose. but worst case you just buy some zip ties.

you can do the same thing to install on the new struts, or use zip ties to hold it in place.

+1^

You don't have to undo the brake the lines.

As stated, just be careful so you don't remove too much metal.

O.

• I Donated
Thank you johnegg. I had never thought about doing that. I usually lean more towards the side of not rigging things like that if I can....but the brake lines can be difficult to work wit sometimes and I absolutely hate bleeding brakes. As well, I have a really bad habit of losing the crush washers for the brake lines almost every time lol. I'll try that out next time I do a set of struts.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I also cut the bracket that holds the brake line. Saved a ton of time, and if you ony cut away enough matrial to allow the rubber line through you can reuse the original clip on the new struts without any need for zip ties or any other additional support.

One more question. I read that I need to mark the top bolt to make sure that when I install the new strut the alignment is good. Does anybody have any tips on this? I will plan on getting an alignment soon anyway because I really don't know when the last one has been done and I have new tires on, but I'd like to make sure I don't through it off if possible.

The top bolt is the alignment bolt. What I have done is first cleaned off the nut and the surrounding metal. Using a chisel I make a mark on the nut and a mark on the support behind it. Then when I am reassembling, I know where to stop at.

Obviously other ways, but this works for me.

O.

+1 for cutting (grinding) the bracket that holds the brake line. I did this to mine when I put on 04 STI springs and I was able to use the original retainer clip and it saves a ton of time! Just make sure you round off any sharp edges to prevent slicing a hole in your brake line when you remove or reinstall them.

Got the struts in. I ended up disconnecting the brake line from the caliper which was good because my breaks needed re-bleeding anyway, now they seem perfect. Thanks for the help, just need some sway-bar bushings and the car will drive like new.

• I Donated
Got the struts in. I ended up disconnecting the brake line from the caliper which was good because my breaks needed re-bleeding anyway, now they seem perfect. Thanks for the help, just need some sway-bar bushings and the car will drive like new.

Your brakes should never need bleeding unless there is some kind of leak somewhere or there is air being sucked into the lines from somewhere....or the last person to open up the brake system was retarded lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived