LegacyGT.com

Timing belt time

Ok, so after searching for a while on here. I have decided to go with the Gates kit w/normal belt. I have also found some do the Thermostat at the same time yes/no does it same any money on labor? Also I have found that its recommended to do the diff fluids and CVT at the same time?

My question is who is the best/cost effective vendor to get this get from. I have found multiple vendors that carry it. Any thing else I need to take care of at this point; it has 103K on it. '05 LGT Thank you for your help and input.

CVT ?

Is your wagon a 5mt or automatic ?

Yes the T'stat is a good idea, cheap insurance.

Mutol 300 is good for the rear diff. I assume it's good for the front diff too. So I guess you have a automatic, because you asked about front diff.

The rear diff and 5mt fluids should be replaced every 30,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

CVT ?

Is your wagon a 5mt or automatic ?

Yes the T'stat is a good idea, cheap insurance.

Mutol 300 is good for the rear diff. I assume it's good for the front diff too. So I guess you have a automatic, because you asked about front diff.

The rear diff and 5mt fluids should be replaced every 30,000 miles.

CVT- read it on another post thought it might be the tranny.

Yes- automatic

Thank you on the T-stat I will be doing a coolant flush at the same time.

Thank you for your help.

For coolant I like Peak Global, I just filled the new short block with left over Prestone and Peak from the timing belt change years ago and topped it off with Global 50/50. Remember to burp the system.

Leave the right front jacked up, and fill the system and leave the cap off the turbo tank and watch air bubbles as you squeeze the hoses.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Good to hear, my tmic came from them. Do you plan to DIY ?

Max, At this time I am not planning DIY. If I had help from someone whose done it before I might attempt it. I have a shop that will do it for 3.5 flag hours and I buy a coolant flush, since I am using my parts.

OK, I called and set my apt to have the above items installed. I was told I need "blue" coolant? Do I need to puck it up from the dealer or can I just pick up coolant from the parts store? This is new to me all help is welcome and needed.

When I did my belt at 95,000 miles I used some Peak and Prestone that I mixed 50/50 with water.

When I put the new EJ257 in 4000 miles ago, I put in the rest of the left over peak and Prestone and topped it off with Peak Global pre-mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only changed the original timing belt & tensioner at 114k. Over 200k on the original pulleys & water pump with no issues. At 114k the timing belt was showing little signs wear. IMO 105k is safe replacement interval for timing belt. But in the end, it's your money & your own piece of mine.

On the other hand, I was working 60+ hrs a week. When the G/F's 05 WRX was do for a timing belt. I didn't have time & farmed it out. Had them change everything, why'll he was there.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

G/F's 05 WRX is 2.0L turbo, cost about $680. I would think the 2.5L turbo would be about the some. Need to call around & check references, the smaller shop haves cheaper labor rate them the dealership. Have two shops I can turn too when I don't have the time. 1 is owned by a friend I went to school with & the other is a friend of her family.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

How much does it usually cost to have a shop replace the timing belt? and maybe even price point for a Subaru-specific shop?

We charge 725 with parts and labor. This month we have 100 off on TB services. If you roll it with a 90k or 120k service, we discount it further.

Also we are relatively local to you!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived